Non-League Paper

Name
Wez
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Sent off a few emails this season to the email addresses on the NLP website, asking them about covering matches on commission. Didn't receive a reply once and just wanted some info on how to go about it.

Anyone have any ideas how they do their business? And how I could contact them? Are they picky and use their own match photographers?

Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Wez

Hi all,

Sent off a few emails this season to the email addresses on the NLP website, asking them about covering matches on commission. Didn't receive a reply once and just wanted some info on how to go about it.

Anyone have any ideas how they do their business? And how I could contact them? Are they picky and use their own match photographers?

Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Wez

theres a facebook group of non league photographers. NLP generally post in there when they need a match covering and get a que of people offering... other than that they use agencies that they have deals with and regulars so they are over run with photogrpahers I guess... absoloutly no excuse for not replying though :(

cant recall what group called.. non league of extrodinary photogrpahers? somehting like that but wiht proper spelling

theres a facebook group of non league photographers. NLP generally post in there when they need a match covering and get a que of people offering... other than that they use agencies that they have deals with and regulars so they are over run with photogrpahers I guess... absoloutly no excuse for not replying though :(

cant recall what group called.. non league of extrodinary photogrpahers? somehting like that but wiht proper spelling

I've been in that group for a few months now but haven't seen any match offers in there? I'll keep my eye out in future now though (y)

I'd imagine that they probably are overrun with photographers but a quick courteous email wouldn't have hurt, I'd have thought? :(

haaa righ.. i maybe should have said used to when i was in it.. not been a member for a long while now.. just presumed they still sued it..

I can't be certain but a lot of these clubs even at that level have some sort of club photographer and usually they have the NLP commission as well. I know that was the case wit a few of the clubs last season.

I can't be certain but a lot of these clubs even at that level have some sort of club photographer and usually they have the NLP commission as well. I know that was the case wit a few of the clubs last season.

Cool, thank you Craig.

I am a club photographer at Tonbridge Angels but spoke to a couple of guys that came down to the Angels this season that were there for the NLP. Only twice though.

I take it that means that Tonbridge were only on the featured list for the NLP twice this season then?

I couldn't tell you mate as I've not seen the NLP all season. If you are down the pyramid a bit I'd assume you'll see a lot less coverage than teams higher up. Particularly when it comes to photo coverage.

I couldn't tell you mate as I've not seen the NLP all season. If you are down the pyramid a bit I'd assume you'll see a lot less coverage than teams higher up. Particularly when it comes to photo coverage.

That's probably why :)

I have been practising with Photo Mechanic for captioning my images this season too, pretty easy when you've used it a couple of times.

Bet it's a whole new ball game though when you have to transfer them over to clients from the side of the pitch though! ;)

That's probably why :)

I have been practising with Photo Mechanic for captioning my images this season too, pretty easy when you've used it a couple of times.

Bet it's a whole new ball game though when you have to transfer them over to clients from the side of the pitch though! ;)

I think with the LP and NLP you get a good half an hr or so after a game.. 6pm deadline is it? other games when you need to send while photographing as it happens can get a bit iffy :)

i just got my first commission of season.. bury v sunderland on 7th july... will be sending from pitchside as it happens then any stock overnight :)

I think with the LP and NLP you get a good half an hr or so after a game.. 6pm deadline is it? other games when you need to send while photographing as it happens can get a bit iffy :)

i just got my first commission of season.. bury v sunderland on 7th july... will be sending from pitchside as it happens then any stock overnight :)

Congrats (y)

Do you literally just send particular shots during the game, such as goals, cele's, red cards, fights etc? And then action type shots when you're back home?

How many shots does a newspaper usually require you to send over?

Sorry for all the questions lol :)

Congrats (y)

Do you literally just send particular shots during the game, such as goals, cele's, red cards, fights etc? And then action type shots when you're back home?

How many shots does a newspaper usually require you to send over?

Sorry for all the questions lol :)

It depends who you are shooting for really. But mostly you want to stick to key moments that can be used on live feeds etc. I try to get 25-30 out in play then follow up after the game with another 15. I can't remember exactly but I think there is a limit of 45 before 6pm printed on the DataCo card somewhere. After that I'll just upload whatever else.

It depends who you are shooting for really. But mostly you want to stick to key moments that can be used on live feeds etc.

start of season more stock.. end of season less so..

couple of seasons ago i was told the papers asked the agencies to send less in?

personally as i usually get the choice myself then as craig says.. just key moments.... after start of season i dont even bother with stock type aftre game.. but thats just me..

@wezza13 have you practised sending from pitchside .....half tiem and full time for a deadline and then practice sending during game? get pics ready captioned and sent off... takes a bit of getting used to all that and not missing the next goal... you should practice and send pics to yourself then get someone who knows to recieve the emails from you and tell you if doing right.... then approach an agency maybe? sending to league paper is OK because your guaranteed published.. but if sending to newspapers and other photographers there then you need to be sending live

PS the NLP dont pay much at all for non league.. Last i heard 40 quid for a game.... but its been a while so that may be wrong?

Last edited:
@wezza13 have you practised sending from pitchside .....half tiem and full time for a deadline and then practice sending during game? get pics ready captioned and sent off... takes a bit of getting used to all that and not missing the next goal... you should practice and send pics to yourself then get someone who knows to recieve the emails from you and tell you if doing right.... then approach an agency maybe? sending to league paper is OK because your guaranteed published.. but if sending to newspapers and other photographers there then you need to be sending live

PS the NLP dont pay much at all for non league.. Last i heard 40 quid for a game.... but its been a while so that may be wrong?

Thanks for the advice @KIPAX , that's exactly what I aim to practise this season at Tonbridge and Maidstone, with regards to getting some images off quick (y)

I'll definitely fire them to my email address so I can see what time they're hitting the inbox. I'll obviously have to invest in a 3g/4g dongle of some sort. Any recommendations?

I've heard they don't pay a lot, standard fee is about £30 according to our guy that sends in the match reports. May be a bit more for a snapper though?

I used to use a THREE dongle.. paying monthly for that and monthly for my phone...... then i got a half decent phone that allws me to setup as hotspot (i think anyhting made in last few years will?) and bobs yer uncle.. one bill and its ultra fast 4g sending through the phone.. brillaint..

I heard 40 for NLP and 50 for LP (They also have a cricket paper I got 50 from that) .. its not enough to go out special to a game at those prices But if I am already at a game then an extra 40-50 quid to send an email of pics i ahve already edited and captioned is easy money :)

Last edited:
arnt those limits for publishing not for posting ? I havenrt checked.. just memory ?

Hi This will be my 4th season as Dorchester Town (Southern Premier League) matchday photographer. At this time of the year for the past 3 seasons i have emailed the NLP saying i am club Photographer if they are interested but so far never had a reply i even sent a link to my pictures so they can see my standard of pictures. Also i have spoken to an ex staff Photographer from the local paper who now is freelance for an agency and he said he had emailed them his cv when leaving the local paper and saying he would cover any game in Dorset for them but he's never had a reply either. I know over the past 3 seasons there has been a couple of times when the away club Photographer has said that they are sending in pictures from the game to the NLP also sometimes a Photographer ( different people) will turn up saying he is covering the game for them, also there is a person from Weymouth who sometimes does the Dorchester - Weymouth derbys and also big games.
So it seems they prefer to use the same Photographers that they know. I agree an email to say they are aware of you and may in future be in touch would not be too much trouble.

I used to use a THREE dongle.. paying monthly for that and monthly for my phone...... then i got a half decent phone that allws me to setup as hotspot (i think anyhting made in last few years will?) and bobs yer uncle.. one bill and its ultra fast 4g sending through the phone.. brillaint..

I heard 40 for NLP and 50 for LP (They also have a cricket paper I got 50 from that) .. its not enough to go out special to a game at those prices But if I am already at a game then an extra 40-50 quid to send an email of pics i ahve already edited and captioned is easy money :)

45 during play + 15 if there's extra time. Post match time, no limit.

Hi This will be my 4th season as Dorchester Town (Southern Premier League) matchday photographer. At this time of the year for the past 3 seasons i have emailed the NLP saying i am club Photographer if they are interested but so far never had a reply i even sent a link to my pictures so they can see my standard of pictures. Also i have spoken to an ex staff Photographer from the local paper who now is freelance for an agency and he said he had emailed them his cv when leaving the local paper and saying he would cover any game in Dorset for them but he's never had a reply either. I know over the past 3 seasons there has been a couple of times when the away club Photographer has said that they are sending in pictures from the game to the NLP also sometimes a Photographer ( different people) will turn up saying he is covering the game for them, also there is a person from Weymouth who sometimes does the Dorchester - Weymouth derbys and also big games.
So it seems they prefer to use the same Photographers that they know. I agree an email to say they are aware of you and may in future be in touch would not be too much trouble.

Thanks for the responses guys, some interesting observations there (y)

I know someone who does work for the NLP but he said that it took him about 6 years to get in with them!

Judging by this thread, it would seem that I would aspire to work for the NLP(!). But I was genuinely interested as a bit extra cash wouldn't hurt if I was available :)

Truly appreciate your comments, as this sports section has become very quiet the last few months, so thanks for taking time out to comment (y)

If it's anything like the FLP then the agencies get sent a list of fixtures and are asked to opt in or out of taking them. Usually the FLP know that certain agencies always have photographers covering particular home teams so will almost always go to those agencies. The rest get offered out to agencies to see if they have photographers available.

If it's anything like the FLP then the agencies get sent a list of fixtures and are asked to opt in or out of taking them. Usually the FLP know that certain agencies always have photographers covering particular home teams so will almost always go to those agencies. The rest get offered out to agencies to see if they have photographers available.

Thank you, that definitely makes sense the way you've explained it. Going the agency route is probably the most reliable option for the NLP/FLP, rather than employ freelancers.

Then again, I know someone that does work for the NLP occasionally but I'm pretty sure he doesn't get the work via an agency?

@KIPAX

Hi Tony,

Quick question : When you connect your laptop to your phone, that you're using as a hotspot, do you connect it via the USB cable?

I tried it last night at the Angel's game but, as I didn't have the USB cable with me, I tried connecting via Wi-Fi but it just wasn't having any of it. I suspect it might need the USB cable?

Thanks,
Wez

No usb.. just connect like you would to any hotspot ... of course you ahve to setup a hotspot on your phone first ? :)

No usb.. just connect like you would to any hotspot ... of course you ahve to setup a hotspot on your phone first ? :)

Hehe yeah I'm just having a play around with it at the moment. It was working last week, when trying it out ahead of using it at the game, and of course it doesn't work at the game! :D

Interesting that you don't use the cable. So I am doing it right, kind of? :)

Windows 10, so will do a bit of googling. Thanks (y)

have you setup a hotspot on your phone.. on mine its setup but i keep it turned off as it sucks the battery... when i am at a game i turn it on and off when needed... go on laptop.. it finds my phone as it would any wifi hotspot and simply connects... make sure its actually working at home and your not connecting to your home system :)

have you setup a hotspot on your phone.. on mine its setup but i keep it turned off as it sucks the battery... when i am at a game i turn it on and off when needed... go on laptop.. it finds my phone as it would any wifi hotspot and simply connects... make sure its actually working at home and your not connecting to your home system :)

Just fixed it. Guess what it was?

A windows 10 bug as per bloody usual!

For reference, for anyone else who runs into this problem, my iPhone's name which it used for the personal hotspot was "Wesley's iPhone".

The solution was to take out all numbers and symbols, so I renamed my phone to "Wesleys iPhone", minus the apostrophe, and bingo!

Apparently a well known issue too (y)

Now let's hope nothing else pops up when at the next game ;)

windows XP on my laptop... works like a proper trooper.. nothing phases it haha :)

windows XP on my laptop... works like a proper trooper.. nothing phases it haha :)
You must have an old copy of PM then? Not PM 5.

Do you have your phone conected for the full 90 mins or switch it on and off as required?

You must have an old copy of PM then? Not PM 5.

Do you have your phone conected for the full 90 mins or switch it on and off as required?

ONLY use pm for captions nothing else and yes as mentioned above.. turn on when required usually half time and full time..

Back