Noob to forum and photography

Name
Alasdair
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone
I'm a noob and would like your C&C on a photo of mine, I bought a cheap macro lens set from the bay (£10 from India)
and thought i'd give it a try today, It is a lens that you screw on the end of the lens, I had a quick try (the dog was getting to interested in some sheep in the next field) http://alasdairacott.bulldoghome.com/photos/BDRES/alasdairacott_bulldoghome_com/Daisy.jpg, so a quick PS and this is what I got, whats wrong and how can i make a better photo (I know i need to invest in something better than £10 for a really sharp photo) but all C&C is gratefully received.

First of all welcome to TP Alxxx :wave:

Secondly that's not a bad image to start with at all, it has a lovely style to it :)

I had a bit of a play with it as the only thing really that I could see it suffering if printed, was the sharpness of it, though you could well of wanted it soft :shrug:

Anyway it's seen below. All I did was Clarify 6, crop and resize to 800 pxls then a final sharpen. All done in paint shop pro photo x2 (you can download the free trial HERE if you want to try it).

Image4-1.jpg

Those little close up lenses are OK, and you can get some cracking images with them, so just persevere with them. The easiest way of using them is with manual focus combined with moving in toward and away from your intended subject, once you get the hang of that you'll soon produce some cracking stuff. But like I already said your first image is not at all bad, so you're half way there. You should have seen me using them for the first time when I had them on my Kodak :LOL: I was pulling my hair out!

Here are some other examples of what type of shots are possible with them: CLICK ME

Hi I'm sure that you will like here they are a nice bunch.

When taking this sort of shot you can suffer fom camera shake, so maybe some form of support will assist you in obtaining the sharpness and keep an eye the aperture, apart from that it's a nice shot and shows your own style well done, I do like the added touch by Jo.

I would suggest buying a tripod - other than that - you certainly have a creative eye - i adore the colors. welll done.

Thank you for your kind comments,
Jo, Firstly I like your photo's great images. I see what you mean about the sharpness, It does look a lot better now you've tweaked it, , and i never thought about trying manual focus, the camera (Nikon D40) was just set to auto with the flash turned off, to be honest I'm still finding my way around it,
I will give Paint shop pro a try thanks for the link.
Ian yes some support would have made a bit of difference,
I was kneeling in wet grass with the cold wind blowing up my back and the dog was not helping
, as for the aperture I didn't even consider that, I know it can make a big difference with the focus and DOF, I will certainly try next time, as i am finding out there are so many things that can affect the way a photo looks, aperture, exposure, lighting and filters I will have to have a play about.
Glitter, Thank you, I do have a cheap tripod, I just didn't take it
(note to self next time go prepared)
P.S I forgot this one http://alasdairacott.bulldoghome.com/photos/BDRES/alasdairacott_bulldoghome_com/Dandelion.jpg
I have just noticed that i didn't do that good a job in ps

Welcome to Macro Alxxx, I have a set of those lens and in good light can give remarkable results given the cost of them. Thanks a fine start and the dandelion is great, well done ;)

thank you Alby, yeah the light was poor when i took those,
it was about 4 i think and it was overcast and raining, hope it brightens up soon then i can try again. :)

Ooooh! I really like that!

My fave flower too ! :love:

Back