Normanton Church

Very interesting to see this photo as I've been thinking of heading over there myself to do similar at some point but just not had the time, can you tell me what the access was like? Overall I think you've done well here though personally I'd have been tempted to go with a portrait composition to make a little more of the stars

Very nighty picture but sharp! ;-)
Cool how the star trails are perfectly in the frame.

Thanks Kodiak :)

Very interesting to see this photo as I've been thinking of heading over there myself to do similar at some point but just not had the time, can you tell me what the access was like? Overall I think you've done well here though personally I'd have been tempted to go with a portrait composition to make a little more of the stars

The access is really good just make sure you park on the road side (in a field entrance) so you don't get locked in the car park and its about half a mile walk. I will be going back again when it's not quite so cold as this is only my third ever attempt at star light trails.

Thanks Kodiak :)

The access is really good just make sure you park on the road side (in a field entrance) so you don't get locked in the car park and its about half a mile walk. I will be going back again when it's not quite so cold as this is only my third ever attempt at star light trails.

Thanks for the advice :D I might take a trip up there in the warmer months

I'll commend you for getting out and shooting something, it's not always easy to find the motivation at night and especially so at this time of year. Fair play to you.

As for the shot, in isolation I like the silhouetted church-like structure dead centre. However, knowing the location from others' images, I find it curious that you've not chosen to convey one of the most compelling aspects of the location: the structure's position on the reservoir shoreline. I think you could have done with exposing the whole scene brighter by a stop or so and adding some light of your own to the foreground. Either that or capturing a much longer exposure for the foreground and blending it in. Matt also makes a good point about orientation- with a portrait shot you might have got close to including Polaris and completing the circular star trails you've started.

Thanks for the advice :D I might take a trip up there in the warmer months

Might bump into you, mate. Had been planning to visit 10 days ago after a job nearby but the location got switched at the last minute.

I'll commend you for getting out and shooting something, it's not always easy to find the motivation at night and especially so at this time of year. Fair play to you.

As for the shot, in isolation I like the silhouetted church-like structure dead centre. However, knowing the location from others' images, I find it curious that you've not chosen to convey one of the most compelling aspects of the location: the structure's position on the reservoir shoreline. I think you could have done with exposing the whole scene brighter by a stop or so and adding some light of your own to the foreground. Either that or capturing a much longer exposure for the foreground and blending it in. Matt also makes a good point about orientation- with a portrait shot you might have got close to including Polaris and completing the circular star trails you've started.

Might bump into you, mate. Had been planning to visit 10 days ago after a job nearby but the location got switched at the last minute.

Will always be good if I did, been to long, I'm almosted tempted to say well sod it I'll get locked in and spend the night shooting there, take a car full of toys along and make a night of it, then shoot a sunrise in the morning lol

Excellent.... now, if you can get the lights turned down a little at Grantham and Newark.... ? :)

Back