North American Nebula

smr

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
No
Here's my image of the North American Nebula (NGC 7000).

2 hours of imaging. Canon 80D unmodded, Star Adventurer Mount, Canon EFS 55-250mm at 250mm f/5.6. RAW Calibration, stacked in DSS, processed in PS with levels adjustment and curve stretch, colour saturation, then processed in LR with further saturation and desaturation, clarity brushing and exposure, highlight and tone curve processing.

NGC 7000 is an emission nebula in the constellation Cygnus, close to Deneb (the tail of the swan and its brightest star).

The North America Nebula and the nearby Pelican Nebula (IC 5070) are parts of the same interstellar cloud of ionized hydrogen (H II region). Between the Earth and the nebula complex lies a band of interstellar dust that absorbs the light of stars and nebulae behind it, and thereby determines the shape as we see it.

The distance of the nebula complex is not precisely known, nor is the star responsible for ionizing the hydrogen so that it emits light. If the star inducing the ionization is Deneb, as some sources say, the nebula complex would be about 1,800 light-years' distance, and its absolute size (6° apparent diameter on the sky) would be 100 light-years.

North American Nebula by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

Last edited:
I started commenting on this last night but the power went off and stayed off........................
You've got a huge amount of lovely detail there but have you managed to clip 'Hudson Bay' off the bottom? I shot this at 300mm last year and felt I would have done better pulled back a bit. I was struggling to see where it was through the viewfinder, aimed in the general direction, took one exposure, could see I had something red there and went for it It's on my hit list for another go, probably somewhere between 200 and 230mm.

Back