North England North East sunsets.

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone know good spots within a short distance of Gateshead/Newcastle to get some nice sunset landscapes?

I had to go for work last year, had no knowledge of the area but ended up at Whitley Bay and Seaton Sluice, with a trip up to Bamburgh and Seahouses. The coastline up that way is superb, no matter where you end up.

I'm in Low Fell, I presume you aren't too far away? There are really loads so it does depend a lot on how and what you like to shoot and how close to home you want to stay. Do you like facing the setting sun or just using it's warm glow? If the latter, anything along the coast will work, St Mary's, South shields, sunderland, seaham harbours etc. Just go a fair bit earlier than sunset itself as you'll lose light well before actual sunset.

Penshaw monument can work really well.

The Angel of the North works well at sunset too, just don't shoot it from the tourist side unless you're looking for silhouettes.

Quayside can work well but I generally feel works better in blue hour or sunrise but every now and then a nice sunset works.

I'm in Cramlington so not that far from you really, Bolam lake can be nice at sunset, Belsay pond (next to the hall) is great if there is no wind as the trees reflect great in the pond, Northumberlandia can be nice, Arcot pond in Cramlington is meant to be nice but not tried it yet & the lone tree to the side of the A1 before you get to Alnwick is very nice

I'm in Cramlington so not that far from you really, Bolam lake can be nice at sunset, Belsay pond (next to the hall) is great if there is no wind as the trees reflect great in the pond, Northumberlandia can be nice, Arcot pond in Cramlington is meant to be nice but not tried it yet & the lone tree to the side of the A1 before you get to Alnwick is very nice

I keep meaning to go and take a look at that tree. Is it public access?

I keep meaning to go and take a look at that tree. Is it public access?
If i'm honest i'm not sure but I don't think the farmer minds, but there is often cattle in the field which is something to bare in mind especially when they have their young. When I went I waited for a bit for the cows to move well off to the other side of the field & luckily it was just before sunset

If i'm honest i'm not sure but I don't think the farmer minds, but there is often cattle in the field which is something to bare in mind especially when they have their young. When I went I waited for a bit for the cows to move well off to the other side of the field & luckily it was just before sunset

Cheers.

Back