North Norfolk Tips and Advice

Name
Sue
Edit My Images
Yes
Having just come into a bit of a windfall my husband and I are treating ourselves to a holiday and have booked a cottage in Brancaster Staithe for a fortnight, from the weekend after next. We have never been to Norfolk before, and as we plan on moving west soon, this will probably be our last opportunity. He is quite happy to walk the dog on the beach whilst I go to nature reserves etc, so I plan to make the most of the stay and wondered if anyone has any advice, especially as to what lens I need where, as I don't want to lug my 500 f/4 somewhere only to find I needed a wide angle! We will be10 minutes from Titchwell March and twenty from Snettisham (luckily we will be there for one of their "wader spectaculars") with Blakeney Point not far in the other direction. I would particularly like to photograph bearded tits and march harriers, but know nothing is guaranteed.

All advice very gratefully received. :-D

I'm not much of a birder, but I never had much joy with a 300mm/1.4TC and wished for more reach whenever I went to Titchwell, so your 500mm would come into its own I would have said.

Just for example:

Waders
by Ben Goddard, on Flickr

I am planning a long weekend to North Norfolk in a couple weeks. I will be also be dragging a 500mm lens around some of the time, particularly to Titchwell, Island Hide can be fantastic and the beach can also be very good. Cley, both the reserve and surrounding marshes are very good for a long lens. I will also take a 300mm as something easier to carry for coastal walks around Snettisham, Wells, Holkham. The last few trips we have also gone to RSPB Frampton and it has yielded better photographic opportunities than any single location in North Norfolk.

I am planning a long weekend to North Norfolk in a couple weeks. I will be also be dragging a 500mm lens around some of the time, particularly to Titchwell, Island Hide can be fantastic and the beach can also be very good. Cley, both the reserve and surrounding marshes are very good for a long lens. I will also take a 300mm as something easier to carry for coastal walks around Snettisham, Wells, Holkham. The last few trips we have also gone to RSPB Frampton and it has yielded better photographic opportunities than any single location in North Norfolk.

That is great to know, thank you. I have my 100-400 + 1.4 for wandering about, but the 500 is obviously better in British light :-D
I might just see you there!

I live in Norfolk and not far from the coast, i would also say the 500 is a must for Titchwell although im not a bird tog myself if took my 70-200 out a few times there and was pointless other than Gulls and the odd Oyster catcher. I was kayaking today at Brancaster Staithe and was quite a lot of birds around and a tog there with a what looked like a 500 shooting Egrets and they where fairly close to the shore. Thornham is worth a walk around too as theres often bird watchers there where the fishing boats moor up and also Burnham Overy Staithe. If you have time a Seal trip is also fantastic, they launch from Morston quay near Blakeney and the boats get quite close to the Seals. All along the coast is great for landscapes shots too. Have fun :)

I live in Norfolk and not far from the coast, i would also say the 500 is a must for Titchwell although im not a bird tog myself if took my 70-200 out a few times there and was pointless other than Gulls and the odd Oyster catcher. I was kayaking today at Brancaster Staithe and was quite a lot of birds around and a tog there with a what looked like a 500 shooting Egrets and they where fairly close to the shore. Thornham is worth a walk around too as theres often bird watchers there where the fishing boats moor up and also Burnham Overy Staithe. If you have time a Seal trip is also fantastic, they launch from Morston quay near Blakeney and the boats get quite close to the Seals. All along the coast is great for landscapes shots too. Have fun :)

That is brilliant, thank you!

If you have time a Seal trip is also fantastic, they launch from Morston quay near Blakeney and the boats get quite close to the Seals. All along the coast is great for landscapes shots too. Have fun :)

I can thoroughly recommend the boat trips from Morston Quay. I went with Beans Boat Trips and luckily I had booked first as the boat was full but still very enjoyable. As Suggs mentions, there are lots of small villages all along that coast with waders to see. Last year there were plenty of Spoonbills too, I spent time watching them at Holme By The Sea where they have a great Nature Reserve that also has Marsh Harriers overhead.

Thank you all so much! We were planning to use Beans Boats so that is really good to hear, and spoonbills would be a real bonus.

Holkham beach sounds spot on, especially as we plan to do much walking on the beach as it is our dog's favourite thing [emoji3]

Last edited:
Theharbour at Brancaster Staithe!! Lie in the mud and the birds will come!! Seriously I have spent a few hours inwinter lying in teh mud and the opportunities are great (depending upon tides)!! You also entertain people in their

cars! Good luck and enjoy!

Theharbour at Brancaster Staithe!! Lie in the mud and the birds will come!! Seriously I have spent a few hours inwinter lying in the mud and the opportunities are great (depending upon tides)!! You also entertain people in their cars! Good luck and enjoy!

That sounds fantastic, thank you! I can leave husband and dog happily ensconced in the pub whilst I lie in the harbour mud [emoji3]

Last time we were up there got great shots with a hired 500mm. Agree the seal trip is well worth while. Give your husband a thank you with a meal at Morston Hall restaurant;)

Or better still take him to the chippy opposite the harbour car park!

I like your thinking! My OH is happy as Larry walking Pip the dog on the beach for a couple of hours then finding a dog friendly pub where I can meet him after sitting in a hide for a few hours. I am very lucky [emoji3]

My wife and I often stop in Old Hunstanton. It is close to the RSPB sites at Snettisham and Titchwell but don't forget that the Norfolk Wildlife Trust have many sites in the county. Have a look at their website to get full details:
https://www.norfolkwildlifetrust.org.uk/home

Around that area you have got Holme Dunes, and a bit further down the coast you have got Cley Marshes, which is alongside Blakeney Point. As already mentioned Thornam is a great unlisted site as well.

The fact is that most of the north Norfolk coast is a great place to see and photograph birds.

Back