North Wales

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Back in the UK for holiday in North Wales a few of weeks ago, just outside Dolgellau. We had a 50/50 week with the weather and I managed 2 excursions for pictures. A stunning area and one I would love to go back to given the chance. Simon Kitchin's book was brilliant for getting to locations, highly recommended for anyone considering this area.

These are my favourites from the excursions. I couple of these will not be to everyone's taste I know.

Constructive C&C welcome.

Thanks

Alan

The conditions at Tal-y-Lyn were a mix, perfectly still for great reflections but the heavy cloud didn't allow the sun to penetrate much. I quite liked this as a mono, a bit abstract.
Tal-y-Lyn Mono by Alan, on Flickr

This is about as colourful as it got.
Tal-y-Lyn Colour by Alan, on Flickr

I got up in the middle of the night to walk up to Llyn Cau for sunrise. I could probably have left it a bit later in reality!! I hadn't realised just how long it would take the light to reach the peak of Cadair Idris and then down into the lake. Still it was a magical experience watching it all develop and unfold. It was quite breezy initially but strangely as the sun came up and into the bowl of the lake it dropped dramatically and not a breath of wind after a while.

First light hits the peak of Cadair Idris and the clouds above.
Giants Chair by Alan, on Flickr

Llyn Cau Mirror by Alan, on Flickr

Stillness by Alan, on Flickr

Llyn Cau Pano by Alan, on Flickr

Barmouth Bay by Alan, on Flickr

Really like these.
It's a beautiful area, did you manage to get any with the low flying aircraft tearing through?

Really like these.
It's a beautiful area, did you manage to get any with the low flying aircraft tearing through?
We went to the mach loop, cad west, expectations were unreasonably set when a tornado went over just as we got to the top!!! No more planes for the hour!

We went back again another day and lotsbof high level plane noise, but no planes. Then when we were back down in the town an hour later we saw several hawks fly over low level in the direction of the loop.

But pictures, not one!!! But it was nice sitting and hoping on a sunny afternoon :)

That's quite a lot of pics to crit!

I like 1,4,5 and 6 - nicely seen, good tones and colours as appropriate.

2 looks a bit underexposed, but I guess it's more a record shot.
3 appears to have been spoiled by a grad filter darkening the top of the mountain.
7 foreground appears just a bit dull, though hard to tell at this size.

Back