North England North Yorkshire coastline

Name
Si
Edit My Images
Yes
We're hoping to go over towards Robin Hood's Bay for a few days with the family - any top tips on good landscape or wildlife photography spots within a hours drive? I've just ordered a book, but it's always worth an ask on here :)

I've already got Staithes and Whitby on the list, but any advice greatly welcomed as it's not an area I've visited before...

If you're into steam railways, then North Yorkshire Moors Railway at Grosmont station is worth a visit, only 10....ish miles from RH.

The classic spot is Saltwick Bay with ancient (metal) wreck remains and a small sea stack - take note of what tide is doing people get caught out there every year
There's an interesting moonscape area on the cliffs just north of Sandsend - access on old railway line.
Nothing grows due to historic Alum working, if heather is out there are patches right by the bare areas - not much photographed but interesting.
Ravenscar is good for sea birds and often some seals about too

If you're into steam railways, then North Yorkshire Moors Railway at Grosmont station is worth a visit, only 10....ish miles from RH.

Love them and they're never a hard sell with the family, looks like they're re-opening from the 1st August - thanks!

The classic spot is Saltwick Bay with ancient (metal) wreck remains and a small sea stack - take note of what tide is doing people get caught out there every year
There's an interesting moonscape area on the cliffs just north of Sandsend - access on old railway line.
Nothing grows due to historic Alum working, if heather is out there are patches right by the bare areas - not much photographed but interesting.
Ravenscar is good for sea birds and often some seals about too

Thanks, plenty of ideas there :)

Looks like I'm going to have to pick and choose what to go and look at as we're only planning a few days away - literally spoilt for choice!

The last is actually rather fine, a lovely slightly sinister oily quality. But perhaps a tighter crop or twiddling the perspective?

The last is actually rather fine, a lovely slightly sinister oily quality. But perhaps a tighter crop or twiddling the perspective?

Thanks! I did have a play with a few compositions here, but the tide came in pretty fast and I only got time for a few shots before i had to move.. I chose this crop because I quite like the couple of washed up Jellyfish in it, but I'll likely go back to it at some point and have a further play in Lightroom...

Interesting to see your results here as I'm going to Yorkshire next week.
I'll probably try for a couple of the traditional coastal locations in Whitby and RH bay area.
But I was wondering about whether there's likely to be any Puffins at Bempton Cliffs in August, have they all moved on by this point?

Just a little north up the coastline, on coastal path, the Cleveland way (a good walk) there is a small community on the beach at Port Mugrave. A micro shanty town of buildings with a great history.
Access is also interesting.

Interesting to see your results here as I'm going to Yorkshire next week.
I'll probably try for a couple of the traditional coastal locations in Whitby and RH bay area.
But I was wondering about whether there's likely to be any Puffins at Bempton Cliffs in August, have they all moved on by this point?

There are so many options along that coastline and inland too when it comes to either landscape or wildlife photography, you can't really go wrong :) We're intending to go back as soon as we can and investigate some of the many spots we just didn't get around to last time...

Not sure about Puffins TBH, it's been a few years since I've been to Bempton. Just checked Flickr and it was the start of July '18 when I was there and we did see a few Puffins

Just a little north up the coastline, on coastal path, the Cleveland way (a good walk) there is a small community on the beach at Port Mugrave. A micro shanty town of buildings with a great history.
Access is also interesting.

Sounds interesting, one to add to the list for the next time we're in the area :)

Back