Northern Finland - starry skies and Northern lights

Edit My Images
Yes
Had a holiday in Northern Finland...
Yes - I live in Finland so travel wasn't an issue :)
My bread&butter comes from sports photography, so capturing the night sky was something totally new to me.
Almost felt wrong to be using a camera, instead of just watching the sky at night..

I am sure there are people here who have taken plenty of these types of photos.. so any comments, critique and stuff is more than welcome.

But being in the wild under these skies, it really makes one feel very small indeed.

DSC09810.jpgDSC09930.jpg

Amazing shots, although I do agree that they could be a couple of stops higher on the exposure. I sometimes wish that I had nothing on my doorstep other than open land, so I can gaze up to the skies without any light pollution. Dream goals eh! haha

I am not at all jealous that you are able to get shots like these ;-)

On my monitor they do appear to be a couple of stops under exposed. Shame, as the second would have been superb.

Thanks for the comments and thoughts on the exposure..

The exposure and WB was sort of guesswork on the editing... so might look at them again and see what they look like with exposure tweaked.
And hoped that someone more experienced in these types of images would chime in with some thoughts...

Actually when I went for the holiday.. I promised myself that I would NOT take the camera out if the northern lights came out....
But couldn't resist it in the end...

Amazing shots, although I do agree that they could be a couple of stops higher on the exposure. I sometimes wish that I had nothing on my doorstep other than open land, so I can gaze up to the skies without any light pollution. Dream goals eh! haha

Wasn't quite on the doorstep for me either... although I could have sea views with no light pollution in 20mins from front door.
This place was about 1300km from my front door...but well worth the drive (for the holiday..)

Will definitely keep an eye on the Space Weather Forecasts over the winter... and if a good break comes, will try to head up that way again!

Back