Northern light (18-3-18) from Orkney

Name
thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
Good burst of northern light on sunday night. I missed the start so it was a case of drop the tripod and shot, no time for thinking.

First it's when it was picking pretty well
180318-northen light - brough of deerness-6873 by Thomas, sur Flickr

Second is a picture of the 2 "steve" that could be seen for a while
180318-northen light - brough of deerness-6775 by Thomas, sur Flickr

Third a bit later on the cliff watching the show!
180318-northen light - brough of deerness-7236 by Thomas, sur Flickr

That night i wish i had something wider that 20mm! So instead of trying to catch the whole arc i framed it with the cliff.
Hope you enjoy them.

First image is excellent, lovely :)

Lovely shots there Thomas and in the 1st 2 shots you have caught not just the northern lights but something else I believe.
Maybe its called " sub aurora arcs"

Some more good ones, Thomas, especially the first.

How visible were the lights to the naked eye? I have seen them a few times from the NW mainland (as in Scotland) and have always been surprised that the camera picks up much more than I could see.

Dave

Nice pictures.

When it’s really strong, I have seen greens with my eyes but it’s not as vivid as the camera pics up. If you can see the colours with your eyes, then that means you have a real show on! Most of the time, I just see a faint milky looking arc when out spotting.

Glad you like it, thanks a lot for stopping by and dropping a comment too!

Some more good ones, Thomas, especially the first.

How visible were the lights to the naked eye? I have seen them a few times from the NW mainland (as in Scotland) and have always been surprised that the camera picks up much more than I could see.

Dave

I tend to process my northern light image very gently. You'll a lot of much more saturated picture about. Obviously the colours where a bit duller in the real life but the arc was strong and bright and there was a lot of movement, ray and also some burst like ripple which undulate overhead.

I have made a 10 minutes time lapse but i don't know how to share it here!

That it after facebook totally mushed it!
But you can still see that in 10 minutes there was a lot going on, each frame was 3s.

I tend to process my northern light image very gently. You'll a lot of much more saturated picture about. Obviously the colours where a bit duller in the real life but the arc was strong and bright and there was a lot of movement, ray and also some burst like ripple which undulate overhead.

Thanks Thomas. The best I have seen with the naked eye were small pale green curtains of light but mostly the same as Ravinder mentioned - millkiness in the sky and brightness towards the north or northwestern horizon. Still always worth making the effort for.

Dave

Lovely shots, you've done nicely to say it was quickly set up! I was lucky to see the lights on a holiday up in the north of Finland once, north of the arctic circle, I only had my little Konica Minolta pocket compact at that time, but I was so chuffed with a picture of the lights. I'd be over the moon with shots like these on a DSLR these days. Need to see how I can go back some time.

Back