Northern Lights Tromso, Norway

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Just back from 5 nights in Tromso. Such an amazing place. Everywhere we went we were surrounded by stunning white mountains and Fjords. So lucky with the weather we had clear skies pretty much the entire time. We saw some unbelievable Northern Lights shows! Here are a few photos. I took hundreds!

DSCF6024IXT.jpg DSCF6026IXT.jpg DSCF6223.jpg DSCF6233.jpg DSCF6244-Edit.jpg
257UTDN

246Yanw

Last edited:
Beautiful. I'm not at all envious, no, not a bit.

Much.

Just about everything has been said already. Brilliant, what a great sight.

It would have been great just to be there and see this, so great photos like these are a real bonus and to be savoured for many years after the experience.

These are fabulous!

I managed some very average snaps of the lights in Iceland, but the nights we went out (coach trip - yuk!!!) the lights were barely visible needing some fairly long exposures to reveal much of them at all. These lights are so bright in your pictures, so how much of them were visible to the naked eye?

These are fabulous!

I managed some very average snaps of the lights in Iceland, but the nights we went out (coach trip - yuk!!!) the lights were barely visible needing some fairly long exposures to reveal much of them at all. These lights are so bright in your pictures, so how much of them were visible to the naked eye?
Yes they really were. Most people I know who have seen the lights in Iceland etc have told me they aren't that visible to the eye, but these were so bright.

The darker the place the better. The first time we saw them on the Friday is something I'll never forget.

Beautiful images, what a fantastic memory of what must have been a real experience

Nice work Ben

You realise of course you are hooked now don't you?
I did that many years ago and its become an annual pilgrimage now. Either Tromso or Alta(y)
I particularly like No5 nice composition with the Lavvu spot on. You had some lovely clear dark sky's a very nice set and well processed, well done Ben(y)

Lovely! the 2nd one is my favourite because of the purple :)

I've seen the lights twice in Iceland and they are def visible to the naked eye!! The folks you've spoken to must be unlucky and only had low level showings. @ElmerFudd it all depends on the strength of the storm thing - if its low, it could be only visible on camera in any NL viewing location, Iceland, Norway or otherwise. Both times I saw them in Iceland was not on a trip - did a coach trip once, sometimes i wonder if they should be going out, the weather was awful and they were visible for about 1 min (not green) and then the cloud came in again. Could have gone on another free trip, but weren't there long enough to redeem (although they say its valid for a year, i didn't go back again within one year to be able to use it). But then again, sometimes the forecast says "amazing lights!!" and then nowt - bloody nature lol

You realise of course you are hooked now don't you?
I did that many years ago and its become an annual pilgrimage now. Either Tromso or Alta(y)
I particularly like No5 nice composition with the Lavvu spot on. You had some lovely clear dark sky's a very nice set and well processed, well done Ben(y)

I could have watched these every day for weeks. I already want to see them again.

Saw a video someone shot in Tromso yesterday and there was heavy cloud and snow. We were so lucky with the clear skies. Id be gutted to go back and find bad weather.

I could have watched these every day for weeks. I already want to see them again.

Saw a video someone shot in Tromso yesterday and there was heavy cloud and snow. We were so lucky with the clear skies. Id be gutted to go back and find bad weather.
I had two good trips on the trot..... But then a real down to earth kick in the tripod :(. It is gutting when you go all that way and a no show..... well TBH not exactly a no show but the organised (Expensive) trip I had booked was 10:10 cloud cover.(n)
I did make up for it with some good winter fjord photography but it wasn't the same. I did get a showing in Alta that year but i had a fair bit of interfering light pollution from my location. You just have to draw a line under it, its the joys of Photography.
Having said that i'm really glad you got a good showing Ben. It makes the trip doesn't it. Where did you stay or was it an organised trip?
It is mesmerizing isn't it.... First time I got a great show I didn't want to pack up it was 3am when i did @ -21 and when I packed up my camera it was white with frost I had gone through 5 batteries and my hand froze to the tripod (Aluminium then). Didnt feel a thing though because I was so pumped up!!!(y)

PS check out Tromso UNI they have an upward facing camera that records Auroras etc.

Last edited:
Back