Norton Antivirus problem

Name
Elaine Ireland
Edit My Images
Yes
Its flashing a warning about an outbrake alert of a virus called Trojan.peacomm.
Thing is when i click the links to actually protect my pc..it says it cant protect my pc at this moment in time or something..my dads just come up wondering whats wrong as his is doing the same..have i been hit by a virus?
Any help i will be truely grateful..i suck at computers :(

Never had a problem with Norton, and believe me i have tried just about every one out there

I've had norton since june/july last year,never had any problems...til now :bang:
Looks a smidge too complicated for me to sort out,my brother will come round and sort it tomorrow :)
Cheers for your help Notch (y)

Mine is the same :)
I think there's lots of people trying to d/l the update.Give it a day or so and don't worry :)

You do not have the virus. Just not protected against the very slim chance of gettig it. Norton is fine

warning.jpg

Too right, if you ever have a problem with your PC it will be Norton causing it.

I've been using Norton for a few years and although you do get some small glitches they are usually easy fixed.

I like Norton Internet Security. Gives me a feeling that I am protected! Maybe not but the feeleings there :thinking:

Notch - Nice link

I did find however that I needed to run Live Update again after running the exe file.

Jim

If you are running norton then please run the live care scanner from microsoft now and again. I work in the industry and norton is known for missing a lot.

For what its worth, I use AVG free as it comes up time and again with 100% detection on tests. Coupled with windows defender (also free) you have a good deal of protection.

Also, if you want a good all round package that includes 2 way firewall protection and PC tuning then I would suggest Windows Live Onecare. I have been beta testing this on XP and Vista and can only say good things about it.

The one care scanner is available from http://onecare.live.com/site/en-gb/default.htm and can be run as often as you like.

WARNING

I have just run the one care scanner and it has trashed my main machine :bang:

It lets me logon then immediately logs me off , same thing happens in safe mode.

Thank you Microsoft :shake:

There has to be a reason it has done this. The only time I have seen it do this is when a virus is loaded in memory

Have you tried waiting for a while as it can log you off it it prevents a certain area from scanning

It had finished scanning etc and everything was back to normal so I did the usual reboot .

Now it gets to the login screen , I click on my i.d , wallpaper appears then it does a logoff :shake: . Same behaviour in safe mode so I can't get near system restore :help:

insert stream of foul abuse towards Microsoft :-> here

There has to be a reason it has done this. The only time I have seen it do this is when a virus is loaded in memory

Have you tried waiting for a while as it can log you off it it prevents a certain area from scanning

working in the industry is no excuse for running any virus ridden OS IMO ;)

:LOL: never trust microsoft. it doesn't trust you.

I "switched off" my on board ethernet port cause I was using wireless on my desktop and WinXP decided that I have made "significant" changes to my hardware and required me to re-validate my copy of XP. Quite p***ed me off cause my WinXP box was under a load of boxes at the back of a deep cupboard.

OK, lets get techie a little

The scanner has removed a virus that modifies the initial programs in windows registry.

Some viruses modify the entry for userinit.exe (runs to set parameters after logon

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"Userinit" = "C:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe,"

You need to restore this entry

To fix it, simply change it back. Of course you will not be able to do this by logging on. You can use another machine (computer A) on the same network (or borrow a friends computer to network with A) and use regedit.exe to remote connect to the machine with the problem (computer B) and make the change that way. Just make sure that the Remote Registry service on machine A is running. That same service may have to be running on computer B (can't remember) but you can start it using Computer Management and remoting from A to B as well. Anyway, that is a bit of a different subject and there are many messages regarding that.

OR

1) Put in your XP disk (just the normal one)
2)Restart your computer
3) when the screen comes up with white writting and black background press ENTER within 2 seconds!!
4)then take it from there and follow the steps and you will not lose any data at all!

Good luck mrgrubby and The old man! :)

Right , machine was running AVG behind a firewall / router so unlikely to be a virus

can't access over the network until the PC gets a valid login

system uses SATA , when I built the machine I had to ghost the drivers across , XP has a fit & crashes during a setup (even if correct drivers are on a floppy)

bring back the good old days of dos , I'd boot from floppy & edit the MBR :)

Its flashing a warning about an outbrake alert of a virus called Trojan.peacomm.
Thing is when i click the links to actually protect my pc..it says it cant protect my pc at this moment in time or something..my dads just come up wondering whats wrong as his is doing the same..have i been hit by a virus?
Any help i will be truely grateful..i suck at computers :(
Mine automatically updated this morning and said I was now protected from this. I'm using Norton 2006:thinking:

Back