Norway in the Mist

Nice atmospheric scene and mono probably suits the subject here.
I'm slightly put off by the half-house to the left, maybe cropping it out altogether would work?
Also needs a CCW tweak judging by the main house roof :)

Only viewing on mobile at work but that looks a bit good. Loads of mood and atmosphere, right up my street. Agree about the building on the left. I think it needs cloning out rather than cropping though.

Looking forward to a proper look on a bigger screen when I'm back home.

Last edited:
For me the contrast is way to intense and the black point has been shifted far to far in. There is potential with a kinder processing style to make a nice image here and agree re cropping out the half house, or cropping wider losing the buildings altogether?

Thanks for the comments

The half house annoys me too, but this was a grab shot off the deck of a cruise ship, so time for composition wasn't great (I know, excuses right). Cloning it out may be beyond my capabilities, but I'll give it a go. Cropping leaves the image unbalanced to my eye

Not sure about the rotation comment, think it's perspective.

My original edit was less contrasty, this is a revisit as part of my "return to photoshop" learning curve, hang on I'll try and find the first one.....

Norway-4297-BW.jpg

Personally I prefer the later version, particularly having got busy with the clone tool, though perhaps a bit of dodge on the middle line of trees wouldn't go amiss

Last edited:
Original for me editing wise - you don’t need so many blacks in the shot. You want the bulk of the histogram in the midtones with a tiny amount of pixels up against the left edge so you preserve the fine detail in the trees etc

There is probably a good middle ground with regards the black trees, for my taste the original edit is a little wishy washy (technical term), but I take your point that the trees are over dominant in the later edit

Much prefer your original edit tbh.
In the opening image the mist almost looks artificial.

This is a much trickier edit than one might think. While the atmosphere of the edited image is great, as Ruth said it looks artificial and the tops of the trees RHS are artifacting away like crazy. Probably best to do a slightly light edit, pull down the clarity to soften the image more naturally, then drop the back point to taste.

Back