Nostromo Here again TP52 (2019) Wk: 43/44 Spooky

Nice cold shots - lovely dof - the first wins it for me.

Great cold pictures Dom. DOF and detail are both great, fits the theme.

Very nice detail on the ice/snow - very good image

I'm in with the rest of the crowd here. First image is definitely better. well worth looking at it on flickr. Can see he details of the ice better.

Well done, Dominic, they are really striking images and you'd never know they were 'rushed'. I like the contrast of the autumnal browns with the crisp white of the ice, and the restricted DOF works in your favour to bring the eye straight to the frosty fingers. The first is my choice but they are both excellent :clap:

I'm surprised at quite how shallow the DoF is at f/8, did you try f/4 and 1600 ISO too? Or would that have been too shallow.
Works well for the theme and as Allan says, you can only work with what you have at the time.

Wk:6 Waiting

So i've made this into a triptych, it's all about the first photo, but it doesn't work without the other two (it would just look like a portrait of my dog).
I hope you all get it. This took some doing, not the feeding treats to Ruby (that's easy), but when you're on your own, it means holding the camera in one hand, whilst laying on the floor, throwing treats with the other hand at the same time as trying to focus and looking through the view finder.

untitled-435-Edit-2.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

I know it is not easy at all to take images like you have with Ruby tried it with Susie and gave up. To me you have totally nailed it, and with Ruby being black too it must of made it harder.
Thanks Dave
Beautiful image, lighting well balanced, question is did she catch it?
Yes she did, it's a rare day that she doesn't catch a treat :)

Really good series of pics well lit and well caught by you and the dog

Nice pooch series :)

Awesome work Dominic!
The triptych works incredibly well....such a great story, and masterfully shot!
You're right, it can only work with the other images....and the final image is worth it!!
The time and effort you put in has certainly paid off!
Brilliant!(y)

That's awesome. Great work and well done juggling the camera and treat throwing! I've tried throwing small treats for my parents' dogs before, and they just flinch and then after it's bonked them on the head they fumble around trying to find where it went!

Great image for waiting Dominic! You're right, I don't think it would work as well without the other two images even though I can still understand the first one for the theme, the other two just make it work better!

Nice series of images, really like the use of light.

A lovely triptych. Nice little story. 3rd image has great expression. works very well and tells the waiting story well.

Lovely capture. Prefer the 1st image as the crystals look more like reaching out to the viewer.

Waiting I do like it and yes the extra 2 pictures do give it some meaning and a good sense of what is going on.
Without the 2 extra pictures no1 is only just a brilliant portrait of the dog ;)

Rough I do like the bark as you say 1 does not quite work but I see where you were heading.

Leave the bark in colour I think it works there has already been a couple of B+W it’s nice to see the rough with a bit of colour

Two smashing shots Dominic!
I like the first....it fits the theme well, is interesting and has some nice details.
I too think you made the right choice in posting the bark image. It's really very good.
I'm with Allan, I like the colour....it's quite muted and subtle and very natural.
It's an excellent image, with terrific detail and very interesting.
Classy!(y)

Hi Dominic welcome back the the 52

New - Great take on the theme I prefer the dry version to be honest great use of DoF and light to focus the eye.

Clean - Great idea for the theme I love the motion you've captured as others have said I'd have preferred to she the whole of the lady doing the sweeping.

Open - Great take on the theme I like the dark background the flower really stands out.

Distant - Love this great take on the theme and you can not get anymore distant really! I do agree with others about cropping the grass off the bottom as your eye keeps going to it.

Cold - The first one for me lovely detail and good use of DoF to isolate the leaf and frost/ice.

Waiting - Great set of images very well captured.

Rough - I prefer the bark image but both fit the theme perfectly.

I like the idea for your first shot, too, Dominic, and although it doesn't quite work I'm not sure how to improve it. Maybe a reeeally low POV showing the muddy sole as if it's descending, or maybe just the same shot but from the front, or even above with the boots sinking into the rough ground? I don't know, but I like the idea and it's frustrating when you try something and it doesn't quite hit the mark. However, the bark is gnarly and full of interesting knotty textures and definitely fits the theme (y)

Back