Nostromo Here again TP52 (2019) Wk: 43/44 Spooky

Fantastic image Dominic!:clap:
It's simplicity is it's strength, and it looks great on a shiny surface!
(But then I would say that I suppose!):LOL:
The focus stack has worked well....I can't see the 'joins', and the surface dust isn't visible unless you zoom right into the image.

Background cleaning on those shiny surfaces is a real pain...I've spent hours on a single image before....it's hard to let go!!

Love the simplicity of the empty shell :)

It looks a tad dark to me well just the shadows but it works and a shed is still a building

Hi Dominic,

It looks better on Flickr, but a little bit under exposed in the shadows. Nice Image and sky

Terrific mono image with a really nice sense of bygone times.
Some very nice details in the shadows too, and a well controlled exposure.
Nicely done Dominic!(y)
It looks a tad dark to me well just the shadows but it works and a shed is still a building
It is still a building, and it looks good in B&W.
Hi Dominic,

It looks better on Flickr, but a little bit under exposed in the shadows. Nice Image and sky

Thanks for looking and commenting

I like that - 'nuff said :)

Soft is a superb shot, well captured :)

Hi Dominic,
  • Soft - A blinder of an image Dominic. Looks like it should be in an advert.
  • Building - A sawmill is definetly a building not a shed. A little dark for my taste, very hard to see the detail.
  • Empty - Lovely shout. not seeing any issues with the background myself. Liking the sheen that you've achieved.
  • Plastic - I think the white actually works better, it allows the colours to pop more.
  • Interior - The horse does add interest to the shot. Another a bit on the dark side for my liking.
  • Life - You could have put these together into a vertical Triptych. They do all nicely work together.
  • Free - That can't have been an easy one to mask for the selective colour, so (y) for the work put in. It's interesting that glancing at the shots the toad seems a different colour in the two shots, but when you look properly he isn't.
  • Closed - An excellent bit of complementary colour there.
  • Wide - haha. What a stare !
  • Dirty - Hmm, not sure on how that fits the theme, but an amusing image nonetheless.
  • Drink - The edited shot for me, I do like the lavider tint you've given it.
  • Full - #2 for me, i think there is more impact with out the shallow DoF.

Wk:37 Old

So we were having a clear out of the garage at the weekend and i came across this old camera (ok, so not as vintage as @Allan.H camera). It got me thinking, was this type of camera the beginning of the instant generation, the people who can't wait, the must have now. Anyway, the shots not perfect by any means, i'm not happy with variations in the shiny bits on the base and there is a bit of the camera missing around the lens.

untitled-38.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Super image Dominic!:clap:

Dominic said:
...variations in the shiny bits on the base...

Do you mean the turntable platter? It is a turntable platter isn't it?
I rather like it actually....seems to transition between warm and cool as you go around it.
Great composition, and it works very well against the black....love the lighting too.

I agree that this is probably the start of the 'instagram' idea....I suppose the modern equivalent would be a mobile phone on an mp3 thumb drive...can't see that working anything like as well as this image!:giggle:

I like that - 'nuff said :)
Great set for LIFE
EMPTY - despite your reservations, I reckon you nailed that one.
And SOFT is a total winner!!
Excellent shot for soft right up my street that
As @Allan.H above me just said....right up my street indeed!!
This is remarkable Dominic, exquisite in every way - lighting, composition, colour contrast, exposure etc....all first class.
Bravo!:clap:
That's a great shot, super creative with stunning colours
Soft is a superb shot, well captured :)
Hi Dominic,
  • Soft - A blinder of an image Dominic. Looks like it should be in an advert.
  • Building - A sawmill is definetly a building not a shed. A little dark for my taste, very hard to see the detail.
  • Empty - Lovely shout. not seeing any issues with the background myself. Liking the sheen that you've achieved.
  • Plastic - I think the white actually works better, it allows the colours to pop more.
  • Interior - The horse does add interest to the shot. Another a bit on the dark side for my liking.
  • Life - You could have put these together into a vertical Triptych. They do all nicely work together.
  • Free - That can't have been an easy one to mask for the selective colour, so (y) for the work put in. It's interesting that glancing at the shots the toad seems a different colour in the two shots, but when you look properly he isn't.
  • Closed - An excellent bit of complementary colour there.
  • Wide - haha. What a stare !
  • Dirty - Hmm, not sure on how that fits the theme, but an amusing image nonetheless.
  • Drink - The edited shot for me, I do like the lavider tint you've given it.
  • Full - #2 for me, i think there is more impact with out the shallow DoF.
Thank you all for the positive feedback back. I'm glad you all liked it.

Do you mean the turntable platter? It is a turntable platter isn't it?
Do you know what, I have no idea what it is. It's pretty heavy and seems to be made out of some kind of metal alloy. It's also got a threaded hole in the centre underneath.

Nice pic and the idea behind it the want it now can’t wait, although we think it’s a quite modern thing started in the 70s at some point. I think you have done a good job with the lighting it’s very hard to light a curved shape.
Its definitely a turn table the mmarks around the edge would have had a small light pointing at them you adjusted the speed (rpm) and the marks on one of the rows would appear to stop moving different lines would be 33, 45 and 78

Yes definitely picked the right one excellent image and great use of light through the glass and shadow

Hi Dominic

All look very good to me. I like the way the angle works with the reflection/shadow of the vase. Did you try one with the shadow of the flowers in the image? I wonder what it would look like.

Pete

Hi Dominic

All look very good to me. I like the way the angle works with the reflection/shadow of the vase. Did you try one with the shadow of the flowers in the image? I wonder what it would look like.

Pete
I agree, a shadow that included the flowers would have been good. My problem was/is, my house is very, very old and has very thick walls and small Windows, so using natural light is a bit of a nightmare most of the time (which is why I normally use speedlights). I also only have a small courtyard garden with an 8' high stone wall surrounding it. For this photo, I placed my background/base (whatever you want to call it) on the floor of my kitchen, then placed the vase and flower on it. Because of the angle of the light coming though the glass panels of the back door, it meant the flower shadows were too long to stay on the background. I hope that makes sense.

Great image, love the light, colours and angle. Really well done on this.

What an interesting angle! It's the mono for me!

Wk: 39/40 Dull-Snappers choice

Dull
I really struggled with this one, nothing rally came to mind. I was out in some woods today, looking to be inspired by something. I came across these weird looking fungus and although the photo as a whole isn't particularly dull, i think the colour of the fungi are, brown is pretty dull isn't it?

untitled-210.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Snappers choice and technique

I've had this idea running though my head for a few weeks now, but had to wait for the leaves to start turning yellow. They are Silver Birch leaves, on a Silver Birch trunk.

untitled-189.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Like you take on the Dull theme and those fungi definitely look weird. As you've already mentioned about the overall dullness; maybe a bit less saturation?

That's a great idea for your free choice. I like the use of the trunk as a background to keep everything nature and outdoor. Odd numbers always seem to make a stronger image. However, personally, I'm not too keen on the diagonal layout and prefer the traditional horizontal format.

I too like your choices for Dull and Snappers Choice - especially the leaves of different colours against the bark, very creative

Dull & Snappers choice - two great pictures, the fungi looks excellent & sums up a forest floor perfectly (I've been trying to do something similar for ages!). Great composition with the three leaves & the colours are perfect.

Back