weekly Nostromo TP52 (2017) Wk 52: Weather

It took me a while to figure out the best way to present it. Also I very rarely use photoshop, so that took me a while too.

I like both shots for Above, shame the one of the road didn't quite come out right but it's still a very striking image.

As for Evolve, this just makes my effort to do the same thing look rubbish!

Above, the bridge provides a nice lead into the lower town. Nice try with the blurred cars.

Evolve, Nicely put together, good detail in the texture of your hands.

(y)

Hi Dominic,
Above - Bridgnorth, home to one end of the SVR. I do recall it being particularly hilly around there and your shot shows that off to a T. Mono works well for the shot :)
I like the idea for teh second shot, but you really would need something like a gorillapod to give you the ability to get the angle you want. Cool idea though.

Evolve - Opposable thumbs... Okay, I wouldn't have gotten that without the comments. Um, not my kind of shot I'm afraid, but good control of the lighting.

Hi Dominic, having caught up with my own thread this is my first visit since week 0 so I've looked through all of your images since then. My favourites so far are the colourful and well composed image for Comfort, the metal artichoke in Structure, which really suits the top-down view and B&W processing, the colours and perfect arrangement of notes for Attractive, the second image for Above with the motion blur and two bright colours, and I don't think it's affected by slight blur on the road itself, it still works very well (y) Finally, Evolved is a great idea and you have captured and presented it very well. Well done for completing the first quarter of your first 52 with some really strong images :clap:

Hold
For such a simple theme it's been quite hard to think of something to do. I used my hands in the last theme, so didn't really want to use them again, but without any inspiration this week i've had to resort to a boring photo. I hope to do better with smoke this week.

untitled-43 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Really like this Dominic. Dof spot on, good, strong composition and the vibrant green really sets it off.
ps. Not boring at all :bat:

Last edited:
Apart from bringing back unhappy memories of being dragged round a golf course as a kid ;) there's nothing wrong with this at all Dominic. Good dof, spot on focus and strong colours - good choice of colour for the tee too! it might look good as a wider crop, 16:9 or something too?

Yep ... that works, ball firmly in hand but we're seeing plenty of it. Perfect dof and pov.(y)

:agree: with the above comments, you are being a little harsh on yourself

Its a good shot, but I agree with Tim, the focus does look a tiny bit forward.
Doesnt spoil the shot tho.

Smoke
It took me a while to come up with an idea for this weeks theme, it sounded like a good theme, a chance to set thinks alight. In the end it was actually quite problematic.
Anyway this is what i came up with.
Sorry little Dandelion seed heads :(

2-1 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

I like it, great details against the black background and for me the few dandelions the better

Smoke, I love this shot and think it is a cracker too, the BG really helps show off the seed heads and the smoke is brill :) Yours and Emma shots are the best for smoke imo :plus1::plus1:
Thanks very much for the kind words. I'm just trying to improve my photography and this 52 thingy is really helping.

I absolutely love this one Dominic - the movement of the smoke and flame upwards has been captured brilliantly - it just says 'whoosh!' The colour of the glowing embers and flame are wonderful too without detracting from the smoke. A brillliant idea really well executed :clap:

Great Smoke detail ... and using a Dandelion seed head is a brilliant idea that really adds. (y)

Thats worked really well excellent picture, not just for the theme

Love this one Dom.
The blues and purples are great, as are the little hot spots of red, all set of nicely by the black background (y)
I'm with Chris, the more dandelions hurt in the making of this shot, the better...

Smoke - cleverly done. Lovely colors and the dandlion subject adds a more interest to the shot (wish I'd thought of something like that myself now - ho hum, next time)

I think it needed the shadows or it would have looked like it was photoshopped onto a white bg. Also with only one Speedlight it was very hard if not impossible to not have them.

Absolutely love your smoke, a good idea with the dandelion.

Your Vivid is also very pleasing to the eye. Lovely bright colour but at the same time very delicate.

Vivid, indeed. Some off the top for me and the petal on the table appears to be floating, shadows are never easy to get right.

Cheers.

Back