weekly Nostromo TP52 (2017) Wk 52: Weather

Hi, been catching up on commenting, you have had two very good shots for the last two themes. The Strawberries and cream are great with the splashes of cream, must have taken a lot of patience to get it right. As others have said the low POV and dof make the shot for Vehicle.

Raspberries are great. Love the texture on the berry and the scores on the wooden surface. I see what she means about the piano rolls but it captures the age of those boxes well; it's a cracking shot anyway.

The raspberry is a great idea and beautiful too, with the warm feel and soft shadow. The detail of those tiny hairs is amazing! I really like the the pianola rolls too - fascinating to look at all those old titles. I think if your wife saw some of @posiview 's abuses of grammar/spelling in the titles over the last couple of years she'd be very shocked. Peace??!! :eek: :LOL:

I like the raspberry some nice detail, but I really like the music rolls I used pieces as the theme, I think it would have been fine

Raspberry's great but .... I somehow think it needs a crop or a redo with just the one berry with a piece missing. Just a thought.

Pieces of music (boxes) ... priceless, what a beautiful prop (collectively).

Last edited:
Behind is one word for me and that's the first strawberry I love it, little roller very nice and spot on theme. Its taken me for ever and now I can see its a piece of a raspberry not a cherry, its me eyes you know or this laptop. Anyway, great photos:clap:

The piece of raspberry is a good idea for the theme but it is overshadowed by that great photo of the pianola rolls, I really like it and pieces rather than piece hardly needs a shoehorn

Hi Dom,

Graceful - Sometimes we all resort to a banker. The chute breaks up the sky, so it does work.
Fruit - Back in the groove :) Love the series and also the 'out takes' images. I think #2 for me though can't put my finger on why exactly - perhaps because you see more of the strawberry.
Vehicle - Love it. As it's a working model, it would have been good to see some exhaust though, or maybe some motion in the flywheel. However, great detail and a good angle (y)
Piece - That is some really good macro for the raspberry shot. Whilst the b&w suits the music rolls, I prefer the raspberry because of the colours.

The raspberry is a great idea but the shots missing some dynamic in my opinion.

The first pianola pic is a cracker, and playing with the words is part of the fun of the 52. That would have been my shot for the theme if I was you.

Great idea, Dominic, and I think it's worked very well; not just the contrast between light and shade, or the dark brown and bright red, but also the size and style of the shoes and the way one pair looks well worn and used while the other pair looks new. Good one (y)

That screams selective colouring, but evidently it's not as there is colour in the boots too. Not sure if the background has been desaturated...
Liking the use of the letterbox crop to avoid dead space.

Like that a lot, great take on the theme. I wonder how it would look if the heels of the red shoes were showing?

I like it, the lighting suits it maybe not how you wanted but it works

Like the shot Dominic, contrasting his/hers. Like the lighting and the laces :)
Great idea, Dominic, and I think it's worked very well; not just the contrast between light and shade, or the dark brown and bright red, but also the size and style of the shoes and the way one pair looks well worn and used while the other pair looks new. Good one (y)
Thanks, there was much frustration trying to get the light right.
That screams selective colouring, but evidently it's not as there is colour in the boots too. Not sure if the background has been desaturated...
Liking the use of the letterbox crop to avoid dead space.
Thank you, the background is a cream coloured cupboard door. I've used 5 radial filters to try and get something close to what I wanted.
Like that a lot, great take on the theme. I wonder how it would look if the heels of the red shoes were showing?
I really wanted to get the heels in, but was limited on space and just couldn't get it to look right, no matter how I arranged the shoes.
I like it, the lighting suits it maybe not how you wanted but it works
Thanks, sometimes you just have to go with what you've got. The more I look at it, the more I think it's not too bad.

Very good concept which works for the theme on lots of levels (colour, size, style) and I like the lighting and POV of the shot. For me, the vignette may be a bit heavy/tight to the shoes and maybe prefer the lace on the inside boot to be behind the first one but overall think it's a strong shot.

Hi Dominic, big catch up from me today:)

Agriculture - Very bleak. I was going to suggest boosting the greens and then saw that you had :) the second one is an improvement the first was a little flat :)
Graceful - Good choice, he certainly looks graceful. Good composition too but that water looks freezing
Fruit - Love love these. 3 is my favourite. Did you use cream?
Vehicle - This made me smile. Low pov works really well
Piece - I would pick 2. I like all the old boxes and the sepia tint goes well
Contrast - Great take on the theme and I like the spot lighting. Its a good contrast in lots of ways and love the little red boots

:D

I like this ... great lighting ... greatly contrasting footwear. :clap:

Clean

A quick shot this week, i've not had a lot of spare time.

This is Barny our female cat (called Barny because we found her in one of our barns), giving herself a clean.

untitled-559.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

That has to be shot of the week for me, really very good, I could never get that close to our cat

Lovely detail Dom and I agree about the butter. We always used that as a way of getting ours to take tablets; grind them up, put them in some butter and smear it on their paws. Worked every time;)

Back