Nostromo TP52 (2018) Week 51/2 : Party/Showcase

Hi Dominic,

Unattractive - Bit of a contradiction here, I wouldn't want that strange collection of rubbish on the street especially not on my door step but as a picture I find the colours quite attractive :confused:
Shadow - very inventive, well done. Ended up with a great image, I like the hint of colour in the shadow
Beautiful - Certainly beautiful colours, as others have said the dof is a little narrow. It's very tricky with flowers like bluebells to get all the flower in focus and still through the bg out.
Low - good fun shot, great detail in the hair. You were lucky to not get dunked on the head

:D

Low - Made me smile, but then I am in the pub. Something in it reminds me of the current POTUS, or perhaps that would be from the other end.

Well you are lower than the horse's mouth, so it's not a shoe horn at all. Great PoV and great that the wide angle distorts the horse so that unreal and a bit spooky!

Unattractive - image works for me, but i think it could do a different style of processing as all i can look at is the pretty bright colours of the graffiti.
Shadow - great idea and nicely executed, and good to see your set up shot as well.
Beautiful - i like the colours, bluebells really are pretty little flowers but i think from a photography point. I find them to be the most trickiest thing to get a good photo off, not anything i have been able to achieve yet. So well done for having a go at it.
Low - Its a horsey shot whats not to love about it, I feel a sensor clean is needed BG has got several specs in the image which is a little distracting.

Beautiful - I agree with you about the focus but a lovely subject none the less.
Low - unusual PoV and definitely low good choice

Wk 20 - Music

Well this is week 19 and 20, i haven't really been feeling it with these last two themes, but i guess that's the luck of the draw.
Anyway here are my entries.

Match
well you can't have one without the other (in my mind anyway.

untitled-542.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Music

I have no musical instruments, neither have i been anywhere lately that has any singers, bands etc so this is all i could come up with to get me back up to date.

untitled-1158.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Hi Dominic,

Match - Scary things those flowers. I like the pastels you've captured which help the bee stand out.
music - Black on black, but with enough contrast to allow the phone to stand out. Nicely done (y)

Match - certainly a match made in heaven. Nice colours in both the flower and the bee. Not too distracting background, oof focus enough to keep your eye on the flower.

Music - Certainly musical. And good choice of tune. Shame the edge of the headphones is cut off.

Match is an interesting take on the theme, I like the colours in the bluebell.

Music is really very good IMHO, well lit, good reflection, great tones in the headphones

Dominic

Low, good shot, but not the best angle to make the horse look an attractive breast.

Match, I like this image, but there is a lot going on in the OOF bacground that distracts from the Bee, the flower is nice and sharp.

Music, very sharp Image, good colours and reflection.

Pete

Nicely done for music - very classy shot!

Fab bee detail against soft colourful BG works well. (y)

Music ... clean, colourful, black, strong reflections and I remember that song. :)

match - great colours and good detail, excellent shot!
music - nice cleanly arranged... perfect!

So i've been away from the 52 for a few weeks, so i'm playing catch up.

Hard
I found this theme really quite difficult (hard)

So this is a bit of a shoehorn (or horse shoe)
Horses hooves and shoes are hard, believe me i've had my feet stood on a few times.

untitled-20 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Creature

I've got many photos to chose from for this theme, a lot of them are horse related (but i'll steer clear of those, or i'll end up like @LC2 and his trains :D)

untitled-100.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

I don`t think that is a shoe horn at all, the horse shoes have to be hard and I know the pain of one standing on my foot too. It`s a good shot as like the crop but also the little bit of dust flying up from the ground. Creature is a good shot too, nice use of the dof but keeping the main focus sharp.

I would have lost the riders foot in "Hard" but you have caught the horseshoes really well, they stand out its the first thing you notice
different creature than we have had, you could have done horses we don't see that many of them in here but nice Toad/Frog

Don't ever tag @LC2 and trains in the same sentence its a bit like saying Beetlejuice 3 times :wideyed: :facepalm: :D

Hard is an interesting one, (y) love those two shoes. Is it a dressage horse perhaps with exaggerated movements?

Difficult to get the top cut off point right when emphasising groundlevel.

Yes ... don't see many toad/frogs around here, don't know what they're like at keeping still for the camera.

Hard is an interesting one, (y) love those two shoes. Is it a dressage horse perhaps with exaggerated movements?

Difficult to get the top cut off point right when emphasising groundlevel.

Yes ... don't see many toad/frogs around here, don't know what they're like at keeping still for the camera.
Yup, it was a dressage test.
This little toad was very small, he did sit quite nicely for after I had put him on the leaf.

Hi Dominic,

Hard - Interesting. Absolutely get what you're going for, and the shoes are more or less the brightest part of the image (and the focus), but somehow I think there is a more focused crop (or shot) in there waiting to get out.

Creature - it's not a bug :) He stands out well from the background. I thought frogs/toads were supposed to camouflage with their environment!

There's nothing wrong with having a goto subject for most themes :) It stirs the old grey matter coming up with new and more wonderful shoehornery.

Tend to agree that a tighter crop on the horse shoes may make a stronger impression but a good idea for the theme.

Good toad shot, nice and sharp on the eye.

So a bit of a catch up, but it will bring me up to date :)

So wk 23 is Synthetic, i had struggled to find anything of any interest for this and i'm only mildly happy with this one.
It's all about the balloons.

untitled.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Wk 24 Rural
I had one for this before i had found a shot for synthetic so couldn't post it (i don't like to be out of sequence) and since then, i have now found something else the fits the theme a little better.

untitled-58-Edit.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

wk 25 Bright
This weekend was the local carnival (Bridgnorth), so i was hoping to get something Bright and i think i've achieved it with this shot.

untitled-14.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

I think a closer crop on synthetic might help and it would also work well for bright, nice sky for rural and some lovely bright carnival ladies what’s not to like

Synthetic was a difficult one, you've got a appropriate shot in so well done.
Lovely sky in rural and the bales in the field are good for this time of year.
Good find for bright, certainly bright and colourful.

Bright is a well timed shot. A bit of fill flash would have helped I think.

Hi Dominic.

Synthetic - I think I'm with Allan on this. You could crop in and lose most everything else.#
Rural - Fantastic sunset. The sky is obviously the focus and looking like that, doesn't need anything else.
Bright - Brightly dressed up :) They are in shadow though. It would have been great if there was one of them in bright light for this theme (of course, that probably wasn't possible).

Wk 26 Elegant

This sort of set up came into my head when the theme was announced, but i'm not sure i've done it justice. I didn't really have the props i wanted. I wanted to use satin as a base, with pearls and a white Rose. Oh well this is what i managed to come up with.

untitled-1191.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

I agree composition isn't quite right, exposure colour spot on, if the comp could run on a diagonal top left to bottom right maybe that would work :thinking:

I agree composition isn't quite right, exposure colour spot on, if the comp could run on a diagonal top left to bottom right maybe that would work :thinking:

Yeah diagonal is the way to go I think.

It's still a nice shot though :)

For me the colour is a bit odd. I mean its still a much better shot than I would manage, (I'm rubbish at setting up shots like this), I just look at it and all I can focus on is the yellowy, orangey, pinky, salmony colours in the flower. I'd almost rather the rose was white and the whole photo was in B+W.

Last edited:
I'm going to disagree with the comments about a diagonal composition, I don't think it would work/help. Just my opinion though.
I particularly like the small details, like the blue colour of the middle gem in the ring, which contrasts with the rose.

Your linky is knackered. You might want to fix it.

Wk 27 Derelict

I took a trip out to Titterstone Clee on Tuesday night, nearly everything there is derelict. It's an old coal and dhustone (dolerite) quarry, it's also the third highest hill in Shropshire at 533 m. It's one of the bleakest places i know, even on a summers evening, in the winter it's even worse, it's cold, windy, wet or covered in snow.

untitled-91-Edit by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-68 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-44 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back