Nostromo TP52 (2018) Week 51/2 : Party/Showcase

Pull,

I like the scene there with the tractor, a great sky to set it off and the rise of the field make it a pleasing composition.

Art,

Challenging light, good composition and the graffiti on the bottom stands out well. Looking on your flickr I really like the black and white shot #25 with the low cloud and interesting art in the foreground.

Looks an interesting place.

Dominic

Pulled, nice capture, I like the clouds and angles, makes it more dynamic.

The tagging does brighten up that dark place and the conditions have not helped you. Some graffiti is art but not all.
Round here the local council paint over graffiti giving the local yoof a new page to practice on.
Local spray can shop is doing well.

Pete

Last edited:
Wk 38 Bizarre

Well this the most Bizarre thing i could come up with. It's some kind of fungi on an old tree stump, a few days ago it was a wonderful orange colour, now it's a little faded and dull.

untitled-1345 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Certainly fits the bill. Nice lighting on it.
A bit more vibrancy would have made it even more bizarre, but as it had faded before you got the shot, there's not much you could do about that.

Both look pretty good to me, sharp and detailed enough. I think the second one is the pick for me.

Both seem nicely taken to me, I prefer the pose in #1 (as I guess you did).
I'm not sure it needs all the dead space above. I would have been tempted to do an instagram square crop to lose some. (But that's just me).

Last edited:
I would have been tempted to do an instagram square crop to lose some. (But that's just me).
I agree, an insta crop would work well, but I'm worried about the noise becoming more evident. I had to shoot at iso 6400, it was a compromise between shutter speed and iso speed, I opted for keeping the shutter speed up.

Dominic

Out of the 2 I like the first one better, the squirrel is more engaging. I like the oof foreground and composition.

Pete

Oooh I do like a squiggle! First for me too :)

Hi Dominic, sorry I haven't visited for a while but you have posted some excellent images and I absolutely love your idea for Dark! I wanted to try to do something like this for our pup but she's rarely still for long and I settled for one of the cat's eyes instead :) You did well to give the impression that she is looking straight at you, and while either image would be spot on I prefer the richer and warmer browns in the first one.

For Splash the first one is excellent, showing the motion of the water against a nicely OOF background, and it does look like an angel rising out of the water. I also like #3 with the frozen water drops, good colours and textures in the background and more good use of shallow DOF.

I don't think your image for Pull is a shoehorn at all; it's a very well composed image with the tractor in the perfect place within the frame. I like the way it's outlined against the sky, the warm foreground light and the stormy clouds at the top.

I'm not so keen on Art, although it's hard to put into words why. Possibly because it's almost two or three images in one scene. I do like the colourful art/graffiti but it doesn't seem prominent enough in the frame. Maybe the misty top part detracts a bit, but that's just my thoughts on it.

You have exposed the fungus perfectly in Bizarre and the light and shade shows off some interesting shapes and textures (y)

Wild - two lovely images with plenty of pin sharp detail in that furry coat. My pick would be #1 for the cheeky pose and catchlight in the eye :clap:

Last edited:
Nice Autumn colour shot(s) :)

well done for doing an autumnal colour shot :D the first one is definitely the more pleasing it would make a good jigsaw not that I do jigsaws but you know what I mean
the second one looks more wintery

Nice strong colour and excellent pp to make them stand out nice to see the st up too

Hi Dom,

• Autumn - Well, it certainly showcases the autumnal colours well, but as you're aware, perhaps a bit uninspiring.
    It would probably sell well on stock though.
  • Hollow - I love the vibrancy you've got in this shot, and as Allan & Andrea say, it's great to see the 'how' too (y)

Lovely peppers :)

Really like hollow, great idea, well executed and thanks for including the pull-back

Wk 42 Model

I've had this little robot model thingy sitting in a box ready to be built for about three years. It can be made into 14 different types of robot, but i went for one of the simplest, it still took me 2 hrs though, trying to follow the Chinese instructions.

untitled-1396.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looks like an interesting model to assemble. Is it functioning? It seems to have gears and wheels. Didn't know you can read Chinese either! :)
It has a solar panel, that drives a small motor, but it doesn't seem to work.
Thankfully there are diagrams to follow, but they aren't the best.

Nice take on the theme I like the comp with the cutting board and left over pieces, hopefully you will get it working

Interesting model. Just ned to make the rest of them now and show us :)

Plenty of corners, not the most inspiring ad you say but bang on theme

Dominic

Autumn, both shots very autuminal, prefer the 1st as the colours are warmer.

Hollow, Peppers work well, nice odd shapes, I bet you tied all combinations of the colours but the simple way of the image works very well. Nice to see the setup as well.

Model, nice colours against the dark background.

Corner, plenty of corners in the image. Nice use of the darker green on the line of 3rds. Clouds could be a darker in the sky.

Pete

Back