Nostromo, up for it, Wk: 52 Decorate 52-2020

What a lovely atmospheric shot, really like the processing you have got it spot on.

Very nice Dom, the vintage processing suits the image perfectly.
It could be an old poster advert for Shell (y)

I really like that, the processing really suits the subject, very atmospheric. Is that a proper Shell tin can? It certainly looks like one.

Wow!!:clap:
Excellent processing...the before and after really shows what an expert job you did!
First class!
And the image subject(s) are superbly fitting of the aged, vintage look...what a lovely collection of tools!
I too love a good flash(!:p)...but you've controlled the natural light superbly, and as Tim @LC2 said...it's a wall worthy image for sure!
Well done indeed Dominic!

pleasure - #2 for me! The dog's facial expression is gold!

tool - nice still life, well composed and well lit! Nothing to criticise!

Thanks for sharing the original too. I love the processing you’ve done. It’s got such a lovely vintage feel to it. Really atmospheric.

Hi Dominic,
Loving shots 2 & 3 for pleasure. Absolutely cracking!
Your shot for tools is simply excellent. Really nice processing and light.

Nice image. Next to the original you can see its well processed.

Looks great!

Great framing, processing and lighting and good to see the sooc version to compare it with.

First one for me the processing on it is superb as @LC2 Tim said I could see it hanging on a wall as a print. very nice indeed.

Hi Dominic,
I really liked the vintage look that matched the old items. I agree with LC2 that this is a shot that needs printing and hanging on the wall, like Cobra says it looks like an old poster advert for shell. Please let us in on the secret of processing and getting a fab shot like this. Thumbs up from me.

What a lovely atmospheric shot, really like the processing you have got it spot on.
Thanks Roger

Very nice Dom, the vintage processing suits the image perfectly.
It could be an old poster advert for Shell (y)
Thanks you for the kind words

I really like that, the processing really suits the subject, very atmospheric. Is that a proper Shell tin can? It certainly looks like one.
It is indeed a real, genuine Shell tin can. I found it at work a few years ago. I've always wanted to use it as a prop and this theme was just right to add it in.

Wow!!:clap:
Excellent processing...the before and after really shows what an expert job you did!
First class!
And the image subject(s) are superbly fitting of the aged, vintage look...what a lovely collection of tools!
I too love a good flash(!:p)...but you've controlled the natural light superbly, and as Tim @LC2 said...it's a wall worthy image for sure!
Well done indeed Dominic!
Thanks Gareth for the kind words

Superb processing - very nicely done!
Ta muchly

Excellent, reminds me of my dear old dad's shed.
Thanks

The vintage look really works, nicely processed
Thank you for commenting

pleasure - #2 for me! The dog's facial expression is gold!

tool - nice still life, well composed and well lit! Nothing to criticise!
Thanks for the positive feedback.

Thanks for sharing the original too. I love the processing you’ve done. It’s got such a lovely vintage feel to it. Really atmospheric.
Thank you

Hi Dominic,
Loving shots 2 & 3 for pleasure. Absolutely cracking!
Your shot for tools is simply excellent. Really nice processing and light.
Ta

Nice image. Next to the original you can see its well processed.
Thank you

Looks great!
Thanks

Great framing, processing and lighting and good to see the sooc version to compare it with.
Thank you

First one for me the processing on it is superb as @LC2 Tim said I could see it hanging on a wall as a print. very nice indeed.
Ta muchly

I love the processing, that really suits the shot. Are you going to let on the secret of it?
That's the sort of shot that needs printing and hanging on a wall somewhere.

Really like the PP in this, and appreciate you putting up the original as well. Like the composition too, great shot

Excellent. Good to show us both. The processing makes it look very professional.

I'd love to share the secrets of the processing, but if have to kill you ;)

I used lightroom for most of it. If I remember rightly, I used an adjustment brush to desaturate (not completely) the wood paneling, I took the blue tint out of the tins, cans (actually a colour cast my camera gives black or near black, it's bl**dy annoying). I did a bit of cross processing, I warmed up the highlights and gave a cold feel to the dark areas (I know the effect I want, but just have a play around with the sliders and see what works). I then took it into PS, to do some dodging and burning, a bit of cloning to remove some paint from the background and some dribbly bits on the shell tin. Back to lightroom to crop the top down a bit, reduce the exposure a tad and add a vignette.

I'd love to share the secrets of the processing, but if have to kill you ;)

I used lightroom for most of it. If I remember rightly, I used an adjustment brush to desaturate (not completely) the wood paneling, I took the blue tint out of the tins, cans (actually a colour cast my camera gives black or near black, it's bl**dy annoying). I did a bit of cross processing, I warmed up the highlights and gave a cold feel to the dark areas (I know the effect I want, but just have a play around with the sliders and see what works). I then took it into PS, to do some dodging and burning, a bit of cloning to remove some paint from the background and some dribbly bits on the shell tin. Back to lightroom to crop the top down a bit, reduce the exposure a tad and add a vignette.

I feel a little better to know that it wasn't a simple edit :LOL: Definitely worth the effort.

Hi Dominic, those images for Pleasure are all wonderful! Old dogs are so precious and there is a lifetime of knowledge in her eyes in #1, as well as a real satisfaction at having her favourite toy. The snowdrops either side are a lovely addition and it's an image to treasure. As others have noted, the highlight on the ball in #2 is the last thing you notice as the gaze is drawn straight to her eyes, and that final image of a cat doing a daft pose (they act so cool most of the time but they all do it!) is exceptional :claps:

The vintage style image of the tools works very well; the processing and arrangement are spot on for the subject and, as Dave said, could have come out of an old magazine. Your PP time paid off :)

Wk:4 Discarded

I'm not going to call it a shoehorn, more of a bit of lateral thinking.
I went out this morning to Titterstone Clee Hill hoping for a bit of mist (Titterstone Clee is the second highest point in Shropshire at 533m or 1,749ft). Well when i got there, there was some mist and some fog/low cloud in the valley's, great i thought that'll look nice. I found a spot where i could see the tree's in the distance poking though mist. I set the camera up on the tripod, looked up and it had all disappeared in a thick blanket of low cloud, never to be seen again. So i mooched round looking for something for this weeks theme (i did have something in mind), but the fog was so thick that any subject i found would have to be quite close or you'd never see it.
Anyway enough of my trials and tribulations, this is what i've come up with. Titterstone Clee is an old Discarded quarry and this is one of the dilapidated buildings.

untitled-5.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-3.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Really like the dilapidated (discarded!) buildings letting our from the mist. And agree - definitely not a shoe horn (fortunately - as I'm planning something very similar...)

Looks good to me! Sums up the weather of late too.

Fits right in Dom, don't worry about that, and the mist was fortuitous IMO.

That is excellent Dominic!:clap:
Such a moody, foreboding feel and the mist has imbued it with a real sense of the forgotten, which perfectly fits the theme.
At first I was thinking "...you can't really 'discard' a building can you?"...but now that I look at your image, I'm completely sold!
The curvature of the little 'valley' in which it sits is perfectly framing it, and the lighter area in the foreground is superb.
Masterful!

That's a lovely image in its own right, Dominic, and I agree with the guys that it's not a shoehorn as you can tell it was once a working building and now it has been discarded by the advance of time and industry. The building alone conveys a sense of abandonment but the fog has added to that, while the curve of the land adds to a feeling that it is probably out there on it's own.

Both great shots and they fit the theme for me the fog really helps the abandoned feel.

Very atmospheric and definitely discarded - an interesting location.

Works for the theme for me and the mist really helps by giving it that moody feel.

Nice framing of the discarded building, moody setting with the mist around, and a good choice for the theme.

Sorry you didn’t get your desired shots, but this definitely is ‘discarded’ and is all the better for being shrouded in mist, so it was worth the trip. Really atmospheric.

Great find for discarded! I like that it's misty and a bit dark, very atmospheric!

Back