Nostromo, up for it, Wk: 52 Decorate 52-2020

Well New Year, new start and i'm not happy. I can't believe that the first theme has made me leave the house (as some you you will know from most of my photos, that i mainly do stuff that doesn't involve going out). Anyway, i took a trip into town this morning to see what i could find. Where i live, Bridgnorth Shropshire is only really known for two things, the Severn Valley railway and the Cliff railway. So here they are.

It's not easy to get a photo of a train while its in the station, so i've gone a bit abstract.
untitled.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

The Cliff railway is (as far as i can remember) the steepest inland one in the country. It wasn't running this morning, they don't start until 12 on a Sunday. But i did get a shot of the man giving it a wash.

untitled-2.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

And here is one of the churches, that was ringing it's bells (although obviously you can't hear that)

untitled-3.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Lots of local interest there. I like the first one best.

Loving the first one, great shot indeed :)

Definitely the first one for me Dom,
and sincere apologise for making you leave "home" ( not :p )

Definitely the abstract train shot for me - very effective. Good luck with completing the challenge!

Welcome back, Dominic, and that's a good selection of local scenes. The one of the man washing the cliff railway is interesting and unusual but the pick is definitely the first one. It's atmospheric with all the steam, and the muted colours give it a timeless feel that really suits the subject; I like it a lot (y)

Great set of images for Local Interest Dominic the first one for me. Nice to see some local images to me too.

Loved the shot of the train. Very very nice and the steam just adds a bit of atmosphere.

Ooooh I likes a BR Standard 4 :) Nice one. SVR is one of my fave railways :)

Love the first photo, a very characterful portrait with a train (y)

Hi Dominic

The 1st Image is a cracker, lots of atmosphere to it and the tight crop works so well.
Other 2 shots are nice and sharp and having that chap cleaning the car of the cliff railway is a nice bit of extra interest.

Pete

Fantastic set of images to start your 52 off with Dominic!:clap:

#1 is terrific, and is my favourite also, though all are excellent.
Such a great atmosphere with the steam, and his pose really does suit the image so well.
Very well captured!
#2 and #3 are also very good...the bell tower is excellent...it's the Church of St. Mary Magdalene isn't?
I thought it rang a bell!!:LOL:
(Oooo, blimey...that was a bit much wasn't it?!):tumbleweed:

Great first image, love the reflection too. I have the Bo’ness SRPS within local reach, maybe I should pay a visit and see what images I can get. Looking forward to the next instalment

Wk:2 Pleasure

This is Ruby and her most favorite toy in the whole wide world, a hard rubber ball, with a rope running through it. Shes had it for about 7yrs. She gets very excited whenever i pick it off of it's hook in the garden, but sadly she's not really allowed to play with it anymore, her joints just aren't good enough. I know she would run and run after it all day, even if she was in pain, which is one reason she can't have it. Today she was allowed it for this photo shoot.

untitled-105.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Not so happy with this one. I really like the eye on the ball contact and i don't mind that the ball is oof, but i don't like the highlight on the left hand side of the ball.

untitled-513.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

And i'm going to add Barny cat, because all of my animals (pets) give me great pleasure.

untitled-67.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Last edited:
I love the doleful eyes in #1
The highlight doesn't really notice in #2 as the focus is drawn to the eyes, which are nicely placed on a 1/3rd
Nice sharp eyes in #3 Dom (y)

I love the doleful eyes in #1
This is her everyday look, I'm sure she was born with too much skin, it pulls her face down :)

Three very nicely taken images Dominic, all bang on theme and my pick is the first one as the BG suits the image and nice to get the Snowdrops in.
Thanks Dave, some snowdrops WERE harmed in the making of this photo (not permanently though).

As Chris says, doleful in #1, I would say wistful in #2
#1 over #2 for me, but I can't help but fall for a quote kitty, so #3... I think because of the daft pose (that's typical of all cats).

of the Ruby images I like the first one better, but of the 3 images I like Barny best great PoV

Three great images for Pleasure Dom I love them all for different reasons

More photogenic than our tortoise! 3 great pet portraits. I think, for me, #1 just edges it (imagining a 19th century painting... Replace house with a stately home and the ball with a dead pheasant)

I like all three photos and they suit the theme. I love the snowdrops in No. 1. I don't think I could choose a favourite

I wouldn't have noticed the highlights on the ball if you hadn't mentioned it. You could probably clone some of the yellow colour over it, but I don't think it's noticeable as you're drawn to look at Ruby's face. She's a beauty.

These are lovely images Dominic!:clap:
Your posted image is terrific - Ruby's expression is excellent, she looks so pleased and proud to have her favourite toy, and the framing with the snowdrops is a great decision.
#2 is great too, those wonderful eyes are so bright and sharp.
#3 well...what can be said about a mad, upside down moggy? Fun and lively, with great sharpness on the eyes...lovely stuff!

Pooch shot No1 is a beauty!

Wk:3 Tools

Well here it is, Tools. Unusually for me, i've used natural light for this, i'm normally a flash man (i know what you're thinking and no, not in that kind of way). I like to have control over the light, but today where i had set this up, the light just worked.

I've gone for the vintage look on this to match the old items
untitled-7-Edit.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

And for anyone that might be interested here is the straight out of camera shot

untitled-5.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Back