Nostromo, up for it, Wk: 52 Decorate 52-2020

Nice festive arrangement maybe a bit to early there will be another festive themed theme along soon, there has been the last few years anyway :sleep:
Well if you'd rather not, it can be easily arranged ;)
Although the year before ( I think it was) was totally different.

A nice interpretation of the leaves theme.
<<<<<< Even if I do refer you to my avatar :D

I like both abstracts, but 2 is the clear winner IMO Dom. (y)

Wk:51 Showcase

This shot is probably my fave of the year. I found it by accident, i was looking though my lightroom trying to find a photo for a camera club comp. As i was scrolling through my insect photos i saw this one of a Common Blue. I, at first didn't remember taking it, then slowly it started coming back to me. It was a morning in mid August, on a dog walk. I would have taken a few photos that morning, got home, put the camera down, done some other things. then at a later date used the camera again, down loaded to lightroom, only looked at the latest pics and just forgotten about anything else.
I just really like the colour palette and the backlight.

untitled-191-Edit.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

This is my fave of this years 52

untitled-23-Edit.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Both very nice images Dom,
I prefer critters
to Amaryllidaceae
so the Lycaenidae
is my favourite (y)
But you certainly seem to know your onions (y)

As for critique that's shallot
:coat:

Agree the colours on the common blue work well with the flower head and the background.

You’ve taken so many fabulous shots this year, I don’t know how you’d choose.

The light and composition of the butterfly image is just beautiful. The onion shot to me is not so pretty to look at, but is very clever and something I could never do. You’ve come up with a composition that works and lit it skilfully. Pat on the back for both I think!

Two super pictures out of what has been a terrific collection of yours over the year.
I prefer the one of the Common Blue as you've done a great job capturing what is really a very small butterfly.

Wk:52 Decorate

Well for my last photo of this years 52, It's a pot of paint.

I'll be taking a break from the 52 this year (i find it quite hard to keep up with commenting). I'd like to thank everyone that has taken the time to comment on my photos, it's much appreciated.

untitled-6.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Lovely photo to end the year Dominic. Nice composition, colour palette and lighting.

I know what you mean about the commenting - it is another reason why I had a break between 2017 and 2020. I'm still a little on the fence about this next year.

I'd like to add that I've really enjoyed seeing your photos this year.

Nice colours, nicely set up Dom.
Sorry to see you leave for '21.
But well done on completing the '20 52 (y)

I'm still a little on the fence about this next year.
Me too TBH Bee.

Last edited:
Well that's a cracker to finish the year with Dominic. Lighting is just about perfect spilling onto the background to give just the right amount of separation.

I know what you mean about the commenting (especially at the beginning of the year). Why not jump in 1/2 way though when the numbers have dropped a bit and the weather (and hopefully the virus) is more conducive to getting out and about with our camera.

Well done on making it the the end of your 4th full year on the trot during such a trying year :)

I'll be taking a break from the 52 this year (i find it quite hard to keep up with commenting).

I know what you mean about the commenting (especially at the beginning of the year). Why not jump in 1/2 way though when the numbers have dropped a bit and the weather (and hopefully the virus) is more conducive to getting out and about with our camera.

Although I'm feeling tempted again after looking at some of this year's images. I'll decide before week 1.

All three images on this last page are really excellent, Dom! Wonderful detail and DOF in your first Showcase image and lovely light and warm tones in the second. Your Decorate image is a great idea and well taken with the long drip of paint isolated against the dark background.

Well done on completing your 52 and sorry that you won't be taking part next year as your images are always interesting and worth seeing. Failing to keep up with commenting on every thread is one of the reasons I fell behind and dropped out last year. I'm giving it another go this year and will visit all the threads as often as possible without setting impossible targets. Hopefully you will reconsider.

Last edited:
Reactions: LC2
Although I'm feeling tempted again after looking at some of this year's images. I'll decide before week 1.
I'm still thinking too. One of the things I've realised is that I've probably taken more images and also been a bit more creative than if I hadn't done the 52. It was also a welcome distraction during lockdown... and here we are again, another lockdown...

I'm still thinking too. One of the things I've realised is that I've probably taken more images and also been a bit more creative than if I hadn't done the 52. It was also a welcome distraction during lockdown... and here we are again, another lockdown...
I fear I'll hardly pick up the camera if I don't have a reason to :confused:

A lovely finish Dominic. I've enjoyed seeing all of your pics throughout the year.

Back