Not Easy.

That's rather good.

Are you left handed?

Thank you. Nope, I'm ambidextrous but I am right biased.

Lol, i'm thinking along the same line! Is that shot with a 150-600?

Cheers. Nope, shot with a 100L.

Even left handed, one handed photos are not easy.

One of the biggest problems I had was focuisng. I used live view but after 48 years of 20/20 vison, my close sight has decided to fall off a cliff and even with my specs on, seeing the screen wasn't easy. I actually moved my finger backwards and forwards to get it reasonably in focus rather than trying to M/F. I would've liked it sharper but this is the best of 4 attempts.

Did you apply glue to your finger? ;) .. Nice shot, did well to get it in focus with one hand....

Lol, no glue. :LOL:

I gently coaxed it off it's perch and onto my finger. The air temperature had cooled down and the damsel probably saw the warmth of my finger and climbed on. It flew away after a minute or so when it had warmed up.

Cool air slows critters down, making them easier to photograph. The only way I could focus it was to move my finger backwards and forwards in the frame and press the shutter. It was still a bit of luck and could be sharper. I'm guessing the area of focus would have been 2mm or so for this one. Next time, I may try the same method but using the timer, which means I don't have to disturb the camera when I get it in focus.

Last edited:
Nice shot and as you said, not the easiest thing to do.
We have 2 temperatures here (South of France) Cold and Hot, when its cold, no bugs like these, when its hot its too hot, even at night its too hot so an impossible task to get one on the finger.

Hey Paul, long time and all that, hope you're well.

thanks Bud.

As title says, not the easiest shot I've ever taken. :angelic:

I'll just leave this here. :tumbleweed:

Damsel. by Dale, on Flickr

worth the click, better on Flickr.
Wow, you certainly don't see that every day. Nicely done (y)

Back