Not in my back yard ... surely? *We have EVEN MORE cubs!*

Thanks.... this is my second attempt at placing it in a suitable spot. The first saw me with 48 videos of passing traffic on the A38 :LOL:.
:LOL:
The only way to cure your rat problem is not to put out food. Failing that have you tried chocolate spread in your trap?.
After yesterday's lack of interest by the fox & badger I'm not putting anymore our until I've solved the rat problem ... possibly!

A question....
I have watched @gramps videos, so, why am I not getting the quality that he gets...?
I'm getting decent clips when it's nearer daylight, but in the middle of the night it's very grainy and my 'light' that's cast seems to take over...is it because I have my camera set quite high, is it because it's darker...or the terrain is not helping?

Fox

Female deer

I suspect that Gramps' garden is better lit at night than the middle of a wood in the countryside. In which case, the IR illuminators on your trail cam will be pretty much the only source of light, so the spread pattern of the lights will be more apparent (brighter in the middle/central hot spot). Your first video shows this quite clearly, and the fact the central beam is pointing at vegetation that's fairly close, emphasises this effect. It also looks like you're getting some reflection off leaves (shiny beech leaves perhaps?) in front of and slightly above the camera - out of frame but reflecting the light back at the camera lens. This would explain the appearance of veiling lens flare in the upper part of the frame.

When setting the camera try to make sure there aren't any overhanging leaves, etc. in front of and slightly above the camera. Perhaps try lowering the position of the camera so it's not pointing down at the ground, but aiming parallel to it, so the concentrated central beam isn't highlighting vegetation within fairly close range of the camera, particularly any that is in the centre of the frame, where the beam pattern is brightest. It's a case of trying to illuminate the scene as evenly as you can. If there's a central bright 'hot spot' then the camera will close its aperture to try correct the exposure, resulting in darker edges to the image and blown central hotspot.

This is easier said than done in undulating terrain, so it's a case of experimenting to find the best camera position and remembering what you did if you get good results. Don't set the camera too low though (below about 18 inches), or you'll probably find it mists up with dew more regularly (depending on weather conditions). Also, make sure the lens is clean as there's a lot of dust and tree pollen about at the moment with the dry weather - blower brush time!

Your second video was captured when light conditions in the wood were fairly even, you can just about see the central beam of the IR illuminators, but it looks like there was probably about enough natural light for the camera not to actually need it's illuminators. Hence the even lighting across the frame and out well beyond the range of the IR illuminators. Hope this is useful and best of luck.

Last edited:
I suspect that Gramps' garden is better lit at night than the middle of a wood in the countryside. In which case, the IR illuminators on your trail cam will be pretty much the only source of light, so the spread pattern of the lights will be more apparent (brighter in the middle/central hot spot). Your first video shows this quite clearly, and the fact the central beam is pointing at vegetation that's fairly close, emphasises this effect. It also looks like you're getting some reflection off leaves (shiny beech leaves perhaps?) in front of and slightly above the camera - out of frame but reflecting the light back at the camera lens. This would explain the appearance of veiling lens flare in the upper part of the frame.

When setting the camera try to make sure there aren't any overhanging leaves, etc. in front of and slightly above the camera. Perhaps try lowering the position of the camera so it's not pointing down at the ground, but aiming parallel to it, so the concentrated central beam isn't highlighting vegetation within fairly close range of the camera, particularly any that is in the centre of the frame, where the beam pattern is brightest. It's a case of trying to illuminate the scene as evenly as you can. If there's a central bright 'hot spot' then the camera will close its aperture to try correct the exposure, resulting in darker edges to the image and blown central hotspot.

This is easier said than done in undulating terrain, so it's a case of experimenting to find the best camera position and remembering what you did if you get good results. Don't set the camera too low though (below about 18 inches), or you'll probably find it mists up with dew more regularly (depending on weather conditions). Also, make sure the lens is clean as there's a lot of dust and tree pollen about at the moment with the dry weather - blower brush time!

Your second video was captured when light conditions in the wood were fairly even, you can just about see the central beam of the IR illuminators, but it looks like there was probably about enough natural light for the camera not to actually need it's illuminators. Hence the even lighting across the frame and out well beyond the range of the IR illuminators. Hope this is useful and best of luck.
Thank you very much for all the info, it has been a real help.
It is undulating terrain yes, full of trees, and vegetation. And there-in might lie my problem. The whole 4 acres is a bluebell woodland.
I have though gone back up and moved the camera, to see if that helps.

94356733_10222715850994068_1463291646895456256_n.jpg

Another quiet night, one visit from the dog fox who seems to have recovered from his hind leg injury.

One visit from the badger.

One visit from the vixen.

and still searching for food including taking what I left in the trap tunnel ... right up to the trap but not in the trap!

Glad to see your dog fox is ok now....
Me too Lee, I was worried that it would restrict his ability to get around and feed but clearly he's perfectly capable now ... unless of course he was just trying for the sympathy vote when he saw me and hever had an injury at all! :LOL:

Might be a different fox?

Might be a different fox?
Could be ... I'm just going by the darker colouration of some of its fur on the right side.
TBH I'm wondering just what else we might see in the back garden before long! :)

Me too Lee, I was worried that it would restrict his ability to get around and feed but clearly he's perfectly capable now ... unless of course he was just trying for the sympathy vote when he saw me and hever had an injury at all! :LOL:
Was the fox just “carrying” one foot? Going by dogs, they often get something between their toes/pads or a slight sprain from jumping and since they can walk perfectly well on 3 legs they do that for a bit until it sorts itself out.

Was the fox just “carrying” one foot? Going by dogs, they often get something between their toes/pads or a slight sprain from jumping and since they can walk perfectly well on 3 legs they do that for a bit until it sorts itself out.
Yes that's exactly the case ... no other visible sign of injury, (skin damage, bleeding etc).

One from last night in the garden.

I think the pushing by one of the hedgehogs is courtship behaviour, but it could be territorial(don't know if hedgehogs are territorial). The fox that appears later has, I think, only one eye - only one glows in the lights from the camera. It doesn't show on this video but unfortunately it also has an injured back leg.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGuDmTWQPWQ&feature=youtu.be

Dave

One from last night in the garden.

I think the pushing by one of the hedgehogs is courtship behaviour, but it could be territorial(don't know if hedgehogs are territorial). The fox that appears later has, I think, only one eye - only one glows in the lights from the camera. It doesn't show on this video but unfortunately it also has an injured back leg.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGuDmTWQPWQ&feature=youtu.be

Dave
I've seen this hedgehog behaviour from two rival males in my back garden. One male had been circling a female trying to interest her in mating (accompanied by the usual distinctive snuffling and grunting sounds hedgehogs make during courtship), when another male appeared on the scene and barged into his rival male, who rolled into a ball. The behaviour shown in your video then followed, with the second male pushing his balled-up rival around until he decided it was no longer a threat. He then started circling the female hedgehog himself, but she seemed very unimpressed with this and was even less receptive to him than the first male. The defeated male seemed none the worse for his experience, eventually and cautiously uncurling and wandering off to feed on the lawn instead.

Last edited:
I've seen this hedgehog behaviour from two rival males in my back garden. One male had been circling a female trying to interest her in mating (accompanied by the usual distinctive snuffling and grunting sounds hedgehogs make during courtship), when another male appeared on the scene and barged into his rival male, who rolled into a ball. The behaviour shown in your video then followed, with the second male pushing his balled-up rival around until he decided it was no longer a threat. He then started circling the female hedgehog himself, but she seemed very unimpressed with this and was even less receptive to him than the first male. The defeated male seemed none the worse for his experience, eventually and cautiously uncurling and wandering off to feed on the lawn instead.

Thanks, Mr B.

Dave

A very windy night here last night as well as some rain, trailcam moving a little accordingly.
The activity has slowed over the past few nights, no sign of the badgers and the foxes make fewer visits, the dog fox mainly passes through the garden.
Having clearly 'frightened' the rat with the trap, rather than catching it, there have been no sightings of rats in the garden but despite that I have two concealed and protected traps set.
Last night I put out some peanuts to see if they would be any more appealing to the visitors and the single visit of the vixen showed that she was interested and she stopped to take a few.
Although the foxes don't look 'pristine' (a la British Wildlife Center), they are clearly not desperate for food at the moment and seem to view my offerings just as little extras.

Now I am wondering what else I might have in my back garden!
Almost the last clip from the night shows the dog fox coming back into the garden from the lower tier and seemingly getting quite a shock! (Bit misty last night).

I wonder what made him so frightened and shoot off so quickly?

I had several visits from the badger during the night, he obviously does like the peanuts and crushed fat balls I put out.

However, the last clip I saw of him he was exiting stage right through the back hedge so I doubt it was him that frightened the fox ... what then would make the fox such a 'scaredy-cat'?

Last edited:
What's the other side of the hedge?...
Could it be a hedgehog...?
Its another area of lawn, drops down about two feet from the top area, I haven't seen a hedgehog in the garden for quite a few years.
It's almost as though it was in the small hedge but I can't think of anything that small that would send it off in such a fright.

Is the video of the spooked fox from the same night as the video of the vixen and badger, ie windy?

I have seen similar behaviour from pine martens in NW Scotland. Wind seems to spook them. I don't know if the sound of the wind itself spooks them or the wind sound masks other sounds so they are a bit more wary.

Even without any wind foxes will sometimes run at the first sign of what they think of as trouble and then stop, turn around and check if there is a reason to run.

Good video of the badger.

Dave

Is the video of the spooked fox from the same night as the video of the vixen and badger, ie windy?

I have seen similar behaviour from pine martens in NW Scotland. Wind seems to spook them. I don't know if the sound of the wind itself spooks them or the wind sound masks other sounds so they are a bit more wary.

Even without any wind foxes will sometimes run at the first sign of what they think of as trouble and then stop, turn around and check if there is a reason to run.

Good video of the badger.

Dave
Both videos were from last night.
The video of the fox was of his third visit. one pass through, one brief visit and then this.
It was wet and windy last night and also a bit misty part way through so you may have hit on the nail on the head, it all seemed so sudden though, in fact, looking again, it almost looks as if he went to investigate something and when he found it he bolted from it. :thinking:

A question to those using the same cameras.... where can I buy the clip 'thing' that is on the tree strap?... as I pull one end tighter, the plastic bit pops off, and being as its in woodland, I cannot find the one I lost this morning :rolleyes:

A question to those using the same cameras.... where can I buy the clip 'thing' that is on the tree strap?... as I pull one end tighter, the plastic bit pops off, and being as its in woodland, I cannot find the one I lost this morning :rolleyes:

Have a look HERE

Thanks Gramps.... although I hadn't intended to get the side release clips, they might be an option instead of the 'clip closure' thing I was looking for.

I don't think the clip is up to the fine quality of the rest of the camera ,,, cries out for replacement IMO.

I don't think the clip is up to the fine quality of the rest of the camera ,,, cries out for replacement IMO.
Yes, I agree... I've popped it off three times already, but I find them the easiest to use. It is those clip things I'm after, not attached to the webbing.

Yes, I agree... I've popped it off three times already, but I find them the easiest to use. It is those clip things I'm after, not attached to the webbing.
I'm using the fixing bracket now, once the arm is firmly tightened to the backplate it works very well.

I'm using the fixing bracket now, once the arm is firmly tightened to the backplate it works very well.
Yes, I would too probably, but with 4 acres of trees to choose, I haven't found the right one yet.

A lot of activity from the dog fox during the early part of last night.
In order to discourage the rats I put some bits of biscuit up on and in the hedge and the apple tree to give whatever came a bit of work to do and keep the food off of the ground. I think some had been taken before the trailcam switched to active but I wasn't prepared for the activity ... I think it was more than a biscuit he saw!

Apologies for the watermark, I needed a quick editor to join the clips :)

I also was rather worried when I saw him taking an interest in the rat trap under the tunnel of roofing tiles and stones.
He managed to move a stone at the entrance to the tunnel and as I watched in horror ... see what happened...

Now the trap won't be replaced, I just don't want to risk that happening again but what surprised me was how he managed to trip the trap without getting a sore nose/paw AND that he didn't flinch when it trapped shut, as it must have done.
Giving up trying to catch rats now!

Foxes are pretty good at getting into things when they want to. This video is of the old hedgehog feeder, a plastic box weighed down with a stone. I was surprised by how much of the fox managed to get inside.

The current hedgehog feeding box is wood, heavy, has baffles and is weighed down with about 10 kg; so far so good the foxes leave it alone.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cb6GeRym8U

Dave

In the first video the fox has his tail up, this is a sign that he is alert to danger. When the tail is curled down the fox s in a playful mood and relaxed.

In the first video the fox has his tail up, this is a sign that he is alert to danger. When the tail is curled down the fox s in a playful mood and relaxed.
TBH it looked more like seeking out some prey than being alert to danger, certainly alert though. :)

A further good night in respect to visits from the dog fox last night, as well as a couple from the female Badger.
I put some food in plastic pots, one small one down by the water tub (which both fox and badger fed from) and another three in the nearest bush and along the top of the hedge. Although there was some brief 'sniffing' into the air near them by the fox he didn't make an effort to reach them and the badger seemed totally unaware of them being there ... will need to drop them down a nit I think.
Good news was no evidence of any rats in the garden last night.

@sphexx 1st evidence of the use of the water you suggested I put out ... the dog Fox. :)

A further good night in respect to visits from the dog fox last night, as well as a couple from the female Badger.
I put some food in plastic pots, one small one down by the water tub (which both fox and badger fed from) and another three in the nearest bush and along the top of the hedge. Although there was some brief 'sniffing' into the air near them by the fox he didn't make an effort to reach them and the badger seemed totally unaware of them being there ... will need to drop them down a nit I think.
Good news was no evidence of any rats in the garden last night.

@sphexx 1st evidence of the use of the water you suggested I put out ... the dog Fox. :)

It’s rained since I suggested water so may not be so attractive now.
I’ve always found my dogs will drink anything rather than fresh tap water — chlorine I suppose, ours sometimes is strong enough for me to detect!

It’s rained since I suggested water so may not be so attractive now.
I’ve always found my dogs will drink anything rather than fresh tap water — chlorine I suppose, ours sometimes is strong enough for me to detect!
Yeah rained here too, surprisingly I replaced the water yesterday so it obviously wasn't put off :)

Very interesting thread. I've been thinking about putting a trail cam in the garden to see what (if anything) is about at night for a while and lockdown has finally given me the time to think about it/work out what to buy. Consensus seems to be that the Apeman kit is well worth buying, but you don't seem to be able to buy them in the UK at the moment :(

Very interesting thread. I've been thinking about putting a trail cam in the garden to see what (if anything) is about at night for a while and lockdown has finally given me the time to think about it/work out what to buy. Consensus seems to be that the Apeman kit is well worth buying, but you don't seem to be able to buy them in the UK at the moment :(

I see you now have the link for the eBay listing ... they are really good value.
Look forward to seeing what you can get on it :)

Back