Not in my back yard ... surely? *We have EVEN MORE cubs!*

I see you now have the link for the eBay listing ... they are really good value.
Look forward to seeing what you can get on it :)

Yep, considerably more expensive than they've been on Amazon but then there aren't any at Amazon! I'll likely pick one up anyway.. Not too sure what I'll see TBH, we're fenced in on all sides. I have seen small rodents and frogs in the garden on occasion though so there's definitely some stuff about :)

Yep, considerably more expensive than they've been on Amazon but then there aren't any at Amazon! I'll likely pick one up anyway.. Not too sure what I'll see TBH, we're fenced in on all sides. I have seen small rodents and frogs in the garden on occasion though so there's definitely some stuff about :)
Originally they went for £34 on Amazon!
You might be surprised what you see :)

Having abandoned floor feeding due to the rats I bought a metal hanging feeder which I have hung from a branch of one of the apple trees. After initially showing no interest, the dog fox came back and spent a while taking food from it and looking up into the tree and along the bushes to find any biscuits (as I left some there a few nights ago - none there last night).
The badger also came and sniffed around the tray (peanuts, crushed fatball & biscuits) but didn't appear to take anything, which was surprising.
By the looks of things the most grateful recipients of the food tray are the small birds, so I might move the trailcam nearer to see what I get from them during the day. :)

Here's part of last night's fox activity...

Half expected it to stand up with the box on its head! :LOL:

When I first tried this hedgehog feeding box it had only a small stone on top. The fox didn't get into it but did drag it a bit, so more weight had to added.

Dave

Just chatted to me neighbour and she had to call someone out to investigate a plague of flies in her kitchen ... turned out to be two dead rats! Maybe it was the two rats that I haven't seen for a few days, perhaps they binged on my fox food and couldn't get back outside again! Small group of juvenile Robins are enjoying the food left out on the hanging tray, which is nice, looking forward to seeing some young Blackbirds, the parents are quickly getting through the fatballs.

Sounds more like they were making a nuisance of themselves elsewhere too and someone put some poison down. In which case, it's lucky they died where they did and the fox or badger didn't find and eat them.

Sounds more like they were making a nuisance of themselves elsewhere too and someone put some poison down. In which case, it's lucky they died where they did and the fox or badger didn't find and eat them.
Yes that was my thought too, my "binged" comment was an attempt at a bit of humour :LOL:

Not sure if this thread has run its course but here's a very rough and ready compilation of clips from last nights visits from the dog fox and one of the badgers, (or could be both on seperate occasions - not sure).
The hanging feeding tray and the water tub on the grass seem to be working well for both species and only seen a brief visit from one non-feeding rat in the last three days.

The dog fox came earlier this evening, enjoyed the evening sun amidst our overgrown grass and daisies :)
First taken through the back bedroom window (no window cleaner since lockdown) so not a clean view unfortunately.
However I went out to the back garden quietly and it was happy to share the garden with me ... too close for the 200-500 though!

Fox relaxing in the back garden
by Roger, on Flickr

Wet Nose
by Roger, on Flickr

Off home
by Roger, on Flickr

Last edited:
Roger I sort of hoped this might happen when charlie appeared ,there is something very special about being close with sommit wild that is utterly relaxed and having a camera in one's hand. ok last image doesn't say that ,but you know what I'm trying to say:LOL: ,Chuffed to bits for you. Buddy this thread hasn't run it's corse it's a fascinating record actually of these animals habits:)

. Funny mate im as sure as I can be a have a fox earth I can't quite access to be positive , Say it's a couple of fields from the village,someone must be feeding them big old bones.ie cow knuckle or they are robbin them.:D The scene is surreal almost, bones all ways for say 40yards. . You are probably better just having them pass through wow they bring some "stuff" home;)

take care

Roger I sort of hoped this might happen when charlie appeared ,there is something very special about being close with sommit wild that is utterly relaxed and having a camera in one's hand. ok last image doesn't say that ,but you know what I'm trying to say:LOL: ,Chuffed to bits for you. Buddy this thread hasn't run it's corse it's a fascinating record actually of these animals habits:)

. Funny mate im as sure as I can be a have a fox earth I can't quite access to be positive , Say it's a couple of fields from the village,someone must be feeding them big old bones.ie cow knuckle or they are robbin them.:D The scene is surreal almost, bones all ways for say 40yards. . You are probably better just having them pass through wow they bring some "stuff" home;)

take care
Thanks for stopping by Stu ... no bones here! :LOL:

this thread hasn't run it's corse it's a fascinating record actually of these animals habits:)

The visitors are very different Stu,
The dog Fox reminds me so much of a dog ... tail up and bouncy when it thinks there is something to chase, coy when checking something out and feeding from my food tray. He's the one (pictured and above and mentioned previously), he looks to still be having a bit of discomfort with his left hind leg, which he occasionally lifts. He's the one who has happily joined me in the garden twice during daylight hours, I'm not sure yet if there is a 2nd dog Fox.

The Vixen on the other hand is very cautious, she doesn't stay long and gives the food a wide berth ... I wonder why? :thinking:
I've never seen her during the day (though she might have been around) and I am sure she would bolt if she saw me.

continued ......

The Badger, on the other hand, is a true bumbling buffoon ... trundling in and messing everything up, from digging up my garden to trashing the food tray, dumping its contents on the floor and then being afraid of it swinging back and forth!

Got the gardener coming on Monday, (he does what he likes despite my instructions!) so will see what effect, if any, has on the activity of the visitors.

Ha bones it felt like I was in some weird cemetery where nothing gets buried, I've seen lots of fox earths mate but nowt like this, one before.

Roger this is what I meant your are learning about individuals personality, habits all manner of tiny things. They add up over time. sure one can't apply in the field at this time but I think with time this will influence you . Well I guess you can apply it as you already are with the dog fox and the daylight images,you know already he is more laid back with humans and that will effect your choices if you get a chance at making images . I think it's fascinating Roger I really do :)

Lol gardener comment is plain funny:LOL: but yup it will be interesting

Ha bones it felt like I was in some weird cemetery where nothing gets buried, I've seen lots of fox earths mate but nowt like this, one before.

Roger this is what I meant your are learning about individuals personality, habits all manner of tiny things. They add up over time. sure one can't apply in the field at this time but I think with time this will influence you . Well I guess you can apply it as you already are with the dog fox and the daylight images,you know already he is more laid back with humans and that will effect your choices if you get a chance at making images . I think it's fascinating Roger I really do :)

Lol gardener comment is plain funny:LOL: but yup it will be interesting

It's certainly interesting to watch their antics. :)

Having abandoned floor feeding due to the rats I bought a metal hanging feeder which I have hung from a branch of one of the apple trees.

It‘ll be interesting to see but I don’t think that hanging feeder is rat proof. Years ago I had a hanging bird feeder (black sunflower seeds) about 6 feet off the ground but hanging from a long wire (6 feet plus) on a branch of a big Lime tree on my drive. In broad daylight I saw a female rat eyeing the feeder and the tree. Being a Lime there were a lot of adventitious shoots, some 4 foot or so long) coming off the base of the trunk. Several times she ran to the shoots climbed up one, which of course being only twiggy, bent under her weight and in any case didn’t go near the feeder.

Your arrangement with the feeder hanging from the sloping shrub is very like my situation with the shoots, except in your case a rat going up the shrub would be on the right course and should just slide down the wire/string to the feeder :).

It‘ll be interesting to see but I don’t think that hanging feeder is rat proof. Years ago I had a hanging bird feeder (black sunflower seeds) about 6 feet off the ground but hanging from a long wire (6 feet plus) on a branch of a big Lime tree on my drive. In broad daylight I saw a female rat eyeing the feeder and the tree. Being a Lime there were a lot of adventitious shoots, some 4 foot or so long) coming off the base of the trunk. Several times she ran to the shoots climbed up one, which of course being only twiggy, bent under her weight and in any case didn’t go near the feeder.

Your arrangement with the feeder hanging from the sloping shrub is very like my situation with the shoots, except in your case a rat going up the shrub would be on the right course and should just slide down the wire/string to the feeder :).

I've watched carefully and the rat has only climbed the tree once, (as far as I can tell from continuous night monitoring), looked and abandoned any attempt to abseil to the food!
As it happens it doesn't need to as, despite my imagined ingenuity, the visiting Badger is so clumsy that he deposits much of the tray contents onto the floor and the rat just leaps and bound across the grass to pick it up ... very annoying! :bat:

Last night was interesting though.
The Badger came to eat from the tray but was then disturbed my the Vixen and subsequently her mate ... all was not entirely harmonious!

I've watched carefully and the rat has only climbed the tree once, (as far as I can tell from continuous night monitoring), looked and abandoned any attempt to abseil to the food!
As it happens it doesn't need to as, despite my imagined ingenuity, the visiting Badger is so clumsy that he deposits much of the tray contents onto the floor and the rat just leaps and bound across the grass to pick it up ... very annoying! :bat:

Last night was interesting though.
The Badger came to eat from the tray but was then disturbed my the Vixen and subsequently her mate ... all was not entirely harmonious!

Maybe Ratty asked Mr Badger for help, it’s happened before ;), though Ratty wasn’t actually a rat :).

Maybe Ratty asked Mr Badger for help, it’s happened before ;), though Ratty wasn’t actually a rat :).

Quite possibly ... I've asked Mr & Mrs Fox for help but they never seem to be there when I need them! ;)

The nightly visits are regular, the top tier of the back garden has become a sort of 'truck stop'.
Whereas the Badger would only come a few times a month then maybe a couple of times a week he/she now visits every night, I say he/she because I saw two together on one occasion and now I'm not completely sure if it is the same one returning or whether both are taking turns.
The Vixen has been extremely cautious in the garden, previously giving the feed and water a very wide berth, however last night she did eat some dropped scraps from the grass, whilst still being too wary to eat from the feeding tray. She seems unable to resist scent-marking where the Badger has been ... I assume a territorial challenge and I haven't seen any sign of her cubs yet. I hope that they are doing well and will accompany her at some stage, so that I might get a glimpse.

The dog Fox has a bit of feed virtually every time he passes now, sometimes lingering a while and sometimes taking on water, he shows none of the caution of the Vixen.

Then there is Badger ... he/she just loves the feed and whereas at first he/she too was very cautious of the feed tray swinging back and forth, he/she now approaches fearlessly and has worked out how to stop it swinging, by holding it steady with his/her paw!
Despite being the one who 'eats all the pies' in terms of scoffing the feed he/she still feels the need to go off to the corner of the garden and dig it up!

You guys in towns seem to get way more wildlife in your gardens than I get in my woodland :LOL::LOL:
Saying that though, we have finally seen a badger on the trail cam, and a fox, and the roe fawn.

You guys in towns seem to get way more wildlife in your gardens than I get in my woodland :LOL::LOL:
Saying that though, we have finally seen a badger on the trail cam, and a fox, and the roe fawn.

I'm worried that the Badger is going to discourage the foxes by snaffling all of the food!

Great footage, as ever. Have you thought of putting out two sources of food and notices, Roger ?? Badger Food....Fox Food.....:)

I still keep forgetting to look in on this thread.:rolleyes:

Great footage, as ever. Have you thought of putting out two sources of food and notices, Roger ?? Badger Food....Fox Food.....:)

I still keep forgetting to look in on this thread.:rolleyes:

Ha ha, yes John it needs something like that, it wouldn't be so bad if the Badger left off digging up the garden after stuffing the food I leave out ... no social skills! :LOL:

Well, my Apeman trail camera arrived in the week, ended up with the H45 from Amazon as they were back in stock (the H55 was unavailable at the time with no indication when it would be back in stock). Sods law, the H55 was back in stock the day after mine arrived :facepalm:

I've picked up some Energizer alkaline's for now and installed it in the garden and tested. Seems to work fine and the angle of view works for where I've sited it (strapped to a convenient tree around 2' off the floor). Just need to remember to switch it on at bedtime and off again when I get up so it doesn't spend the day filming the kids and dog!

Hopefully it'll capture something interesting. Had a Tawny very close by last night - went out to see if I could work out where it was and it was on the telegraph pole at the end of the garden!!

Well, my Apeman trail camera arrived in the week, ended up with the H45 from Amazon as they were back in stock (the H55 was unavailable at the time with no indication when it would be back in stock). Sods law, the H55 was back in stock the day after mine arrived :facepalm:

I've picked up some Energizer alkaline's for now and installed it in the garden and tested. Seems to work fine and the angle of view works for where I've sited it (strapped to a convenient tree around 2' off the floor). Just need to remember to switch it on at bedtime and off again when I get up so it doesn't spend the day filming the kids and dog!

Hopefully it'll capture something interesting. Had a Tawny very close by last night - went out to see if I could work out where it was and it was on the telegraph pole at the end of the garden!!

Don't know if the H45 is the same but the H55 has a menu setting for 'Target Time' where you can set the time for it to come on and to go off ... mine is currently set to become 'active' at 8pm and 'inactive' at 5am.

I noticed that some people had reported problems with them not recording anything at night and it happened to me last night ... the first time that I had not formatted the SD card after downloading to the PC, so I would recommend formatting your SD card in the trailcam before each use. Look forward to seeing what you get. :)

Don't know if the H45 is the same but the H55 has a menu setting for 'Target Time' where you can set the time for it to come on and to go off ... mine is currently set to become 'active' at 8pm and 'inactive' at 5am.

I noticed that some people had reported problems with them not recording anything at night and it happened to me last night ... the first time that I had not formatted the SD card after downloading to the PC, so I would recommend formatting your SD card in the trailcam before each use. Look forward to seeing what you get. :)

Thanks Roger, I'd missed that - I've set it from 22:00 to 06:30 so hopefully I shouldn't catch too much dog activity :)

Thanks for the advice about the memory cards - formatted in the trailcam before I put it out...

I need a 2nd camera so I can leave one in the private woods I have access to and find out what is there.
As I already have a Victure camera decided I'd get an Apeman H70 and give that a go.loike what I was seeing here
Not set it up yet as it only arrived yesterday so will be interesting to compare with the hedgehogs in a neighbour's gardens
tonight
My only minor dislike at the moment is the lack of being able to lock the opening cover which you can on the Victure
and I can't attach my security cord to it athough I know it can be password protected it would stop someone takeing the |SD card etc.
So it looks like the Apeman will be staying here and the victure will be secured in the woods

I need a 2nd camera so I can leave one in the private woods I have access to and find out what is there.
As I already have a Victure camera decided I'd get an Apeman H70 and give that a go.loike what I was seeing here
Not set it up yet as it only arrived yesterday so will be interesting to compare with the hedgehogs in a neighbour's gardens
tonight
My only minor dislike at the moment is the lack of being able to lock the opening cover which you can on the Victure
and I can't attach my security cord to it athough I know it can be password protected it would stop someone takeing the |SD card etc.
So it looks like the Apeman will be staying here and the victure will be secured in the woods

Will be very interested in how you find the H70 Ingrid, although it doesn't have the 'no-glow' LED's it seems to have an even night illumination, rather than the spotligtht effect of the H55.

Last night was given over to the greedy Badgers, completely scoffed the entire feed offering and tried to vandalise the setup in the process!

The Vixen stopped to investigate the empty feed tray ... and then showed that she is no lady!

An interesting piece of behaviour, I assume that she is just marking over the scent of the Badger from when he drank from the tub.

Will be very interested in how you find the H70 Ingrid, although it doesn't have the 'no-glow' LED's it seems to have an even night illumination, rather than the spotligtht effect of the H55.

They don't hardly show through the door when shut and I have to admit I nit keen on that spotlight effect
I'll try and put a short video up if I get anything

They don't hardly show through the door when shut and I have to admit I nit keen on that spotlight effect
I'll try and put a short video up if I get anything
Even if you don't "get anything" interesting I would like to see a clip to judge the illumination from an actual 'in use'. :)

Even if you don't "get anything" interesting I would like to see a clip to judge the illumination from an actual 'in use'. :)

Hedgehogs always visit so that will be interesting, will do (y)

I am pleased with it on the patio for the hedgehogs, you don't get the glare that you get from the other camera,
far more even lighting
Videos are really clear, only downside is sound is muffled but TBH I don't have the speakers of the laptop on anyway
so to me not a problem
I'll set it with a larger area tonight and see how that works

View: https://youtu.be/_TGhRumHabA

Back