Not in my back yard ... surely? *We have EVEN MORE cubs!*

Wonderful. Such good quality too.

Is your set up the same as Mr Badger's, Roger ? It's huge.

No John I don't use a large seperate IR setup, the only IR I have is from the trailcam itself.
A large setup would be nice for illuminating a larger area but not really cost effective for me, I've got another trailcam coming tomorrow so that will add additional IR illumination and/or area coverage (I might try it on the lower level to see what's going on there). :)

Love those fox cub captures, we don't have any here :(

Spent most of yesterday making a mount for the camera with the bracket included,
so it's now just under half a metre off the ground on a short fence stake

Decided to test the H70 in the front garden and I have to say I am really impressed
with the results, so much clearer then my other camera.
Fox did look at it once when it visited, then ignored it, Hedgehog didn't even seem to notice

One thing I would say is that in the close range I had it set up it was no where near as wide a field of view
which is fine for me in the garden, going to try it elsewhere tonight and see how it is in an more open area

No sign of the cub last night but there was some interaction between the male & female.
Initially it appeared that the male took a submissive pose on the approach of the female (think I got that right) but then, when the male freely feeds from the feed tray the female begs for food from him. The Female still completely avoids taking food from the tray and treats it with extreme suspicion, even whe seeing the male feed from it, whereas the male feeds and drinks freely.

Found a useful 'Trim' tool in Win 10 last night.
Right click on the video and chose Open with Photos and Photos gives an Edit option, including Trim. :)

I've read the visible element of the light emitted by some cameras (ie the red glow) can alarm/frighten some animals, though I think the comment might have come sellers of cameras that don't emit any visible light.

The animals recorded on our trail camera are fox, cat, badger, field mouse, rat, hedgehog, pine marten and roe deer. All appear to notice the light (well not the hedgehog who doesn't seem to notice anything) but none of these have shown any concern about the red glow of the light.

The nearest any of them came was once a badger seemed startled when it saw the light - stopped and looked at the light for a second or two - but them went back to eating.

Foxes, badgers and pine martens have all had a very close sniff of the camera but it did not alarm them enough to drive them away. A pine marten climbed on the camera once and a badger has walked through it.

Dave

Good videos of the fox and cub, and the two foxes, Gramps and thanks for the tip about 'Trim' in Win 10

Of course it's not only Badgers, Foxes & Hedghogs visiting the garden, apart from the Rat (which seems to have 'gone' now) we have a regular Pigeon who tiptoes up to the feed tray and stretches to reach in ... but he doesn't always pay attention to what's behind him!

Lol..That could have been quite a different clip to watch. :D

I was expecting the cat to get over the fence when the pigeon had it's back to it.

My 2nd H55 arrived yesterday so I put it out to get a closer view of the feeding tray.
I'm not too sure about the video quality though, I know it's night but it looks a bit rough ... is it just because it's closer?

@Tringa the Badger certainly appears to notice the camera in this clip ... it's the 'no-glow' IR so what drew its attention to it I don't know. I can't detect any light, noise or anything else from it but who knows what senses they have that make a difference?

Any comments on the video quality?

It’s possibly scent from the camera since it’s closer? There may well be a sound that you can’t hear :).

I'm not too sure about the video quality though, I know it's night but it looks a bit rough ... is it just because it's closer?

It’s possibly scent from the camera since it’s closer?

I was going to suggest that, badgers do have a very good sense of smell,
but then you are putting the food out
The ones I used to visit were fine with me being around, I put food by the sett
to keep them there for a couple of minutes, never did get a photo though, too
fascinated by watching them, scary when the come up and sniff your foot :eek:

As for quality, if could be the bright reflection off the tree throwing focus.
I have my other camera (Victure) a lot closer with no problems, but it does tend to have that
ring of light which I dislike, hence the H70
What do you have it set at, 1080 or lower ?

As for quality, if could be the bright reflection off the tree throwing focus.
I have my other camera (Victure) a lot closer with no problems, but it does tend to have that
ring of light which I dislike, hence the H70
What do you have it set at, 1080 or lower ?

I wondered about the reflected IR but it even looks a bit fuzzier when I power up and get the live image of me looking into it ... DON'T! :LOL:
I had it at 1080, same as the other one ... might send it back and try a H70, having raised the issue in my mind I don't think I'm going to be happy with it.

My 2nd H55 arrived yesterday so I put it out to get a closer view of the feeding tray.

@Tringa the Badger certainly appears to notice the camera in this clip ... it's the 'no-glow' IR so what drew its attention to it I don't know. I can't detect any light, noise or anything else from it but who knows what senses they have that make a difference?

Any comments on the video quality?

The video quality does look a bit ropey, might be due to dew on the lens? I'd try a 'side by side' with my existing camera to compare them, and send it back for a replacement if it's a dud.

As for animals noticing 'no glow' trail cameras, one suggestion I've heard is that it might be the electronic sound of the camera starting up that they can hear. I'll have to test one with my bat detector and see if there's any noticeable high-frequency sound coming off it when it start up.

Also, these cameras are fitted with an automatic IR filter that flicks in front of the lens for daytime full colour recording, and flicks out of the way again when IR night vision recording starts. I've heard (and seen) this myself when getting a camera in after a nights recording and starting it up again in daylight. Although this wouldn't explain why the badger only started looking at the camera half way through the video, long after the IR filter would have flicked out of the way (even if this had been the first night recording after a daylight one). I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
The video quality does look a bit ropey, might be due to dew on the lens? I'd try a 'side by side' with my existing camera to compare them, and send it back for a replacement if it's a dud.

As for animals noticing 'no glow' trail cameras, one suggestion I've heard is that it might be the electronic sound of the camera starting up that they can hear. I'll have to test one with my bat detector and see if there's any noticeable high-frequency sound coming off it when it start up.

Also, these cameras are fitted with an automatic IR filter that flicks in front of the lens for daytime full colour recording, and flicks out of the way again when IR night vision recording starts. I've heard (and seen) this myself when getting a camera in after a nights recording and starting it up again in daylight. Although this wouldn't explain why the badger only started looking at the camera half way through the video, long after the IR filter would have flicked out of the way (even if this had been the first night recording after a daylight one). I'll keep you posted.

Yes, it's been dropped off at the PO to Amazon Returns so will now order the H70 instead and see how that does.
What puzzled me with Badger noticing it was, as you saw, it did so well after the video had started so doesn't appear to be any sort of 'startup' issue and whatever it was seemed to capture his attention for some time.

Yes, it's been dropped off at the PO to Amazon Returns so will now order the H70 instead and see how that does.
What puzzled me with Badger noticing it was, as you saw, it did so well after the video had started so doesn't appear to be any sort of 'startup' issue and whatever it was seemed to capture his attention for some time.
That would favour a change in wind direction bringing the scent to him — he/she does seem to be winding/sfiffingass it looks, but of course they do that all the time and if something else alerted it, it would still try to scent it.

If it's any help, this video of the foxes clearing up the hedgehog food at the front was taken
with foxes about 3 m away almost at eye level, as you can see they took little notice one is more
put off by a bird feeder hanging on the trellis

View: https://youtu.be/aySM9ruWdKA

Last edited:
@Gremlin My H70 is coming tomorrow - I see you can select IR Brightness, what does this do in practice, have you changed it?

@Gremlin My H70 is coming tomorrow - I see you can select IR Brightness, what does this do in practice, have you changed it?

Nice one, hope you like it I really am pleased with mine so far.

I have left the IR brightness on normal as most of my stuff is near so far and I like the light
not too bright, which was my problem with the other cam, so you may want to set it higher for the distant stuff
as it increases the output, but at the cost of battery life.
I really need to get it set up and experiment more

Last edited:

If your luck is anything like mine, then it was probably watching a rabid werewolf trying to find its way into your house! ;)

Only joking, I exaggerate... it would probably be a perfectly fit and healthy werewolf! :giggle:

Last edited:
H70 arrived today from Amazon, not very impressed that there was no packaging, it just came with the 'postal' label stuck directly onto the H70 box! Anyway looks all okay so we will see how it performs tonight.

Last night saw the Badger make several visits to clear out the food, Foxes not getting much of a look-in now!
On the last visit he was determined to get every last crumb from the feeding tray!

You got to admire his determination, I do wonder whether these urban raiders are finding it hard
without the restaurants, cafes. fast food places etc. My foxes even eat the bird seed if I leave the tray down

My H70 arrived like that, I had the option to have it packaged but didn't, labels came off with a bit of patience
Hope it goes well for you tonight (y)

Well the H70 performed pretty well last night, the video quality during daytime is superb and last night's video is good enough for me, (for some reason I managed to default the date/time after I set it up, not sure how that hppened).
I put the camera down on the lower level together with a temporary tub of food and the fox did not disappoint, mind you the Badger didn't come so maybe that's way he stayed.
Some of the footage showed what I assume to be 'stashing' of food for later use ... he picks some of it out of the tub and you can see him scraping the ground with his paw, seemingly drop the food and then cover it over with his nose ... interesting look at this behaviour.

Well the H70 performed pretty well last night, the video quality during daytime is superb and last night's video is good enough for me, (for some reason I managed to default the date/time after I set it up, not sure how that hppened).
I put the camera down on the lower level together with a temporary tub of food and the fox did not disappoint, mind you the Badger didn't come so maybe that's way he stayed.
Some of the footage showed what I assume to be 'stashing' of food for later use ... he picks some of it out of the tub and you can see him scraping the ground with his paw, seemingly drop the food and then cover it over with his nose ... interesting look at this behaviour.

Nice, quality looks good...
Is there much light in that area?
I'm particularly looking for a better quality one for 'pitch black' nights, as mine struggle to give me a decent image. It's much nicer not seeing all that glow.

Nice, quality looks good...
Is there much light in that area?
I'm particularly looking for a better quality one for 'pitch black' nights, as mine struggle to give me a decent image. It's much nicer not seeing all that glow.

There's no additional light, too far away from street lighting and no external lights on nearby houses.
There was no 'white-out' until the Fox came right up to sniff the camera (deffo saw the I/R LED's) which was a vast improvement over the H55.

Well
Yes, that exactly the same as dogs burying bones etc. Very nice observation, he’s obviously not very hungry I suppose. Video quality is good!

That's much better quality,Roger. Looking forward to the daytime clips.

Excellent,Roger..

Mmmm. Do I spy a LARGE box of Ms Mollys ice cream there ?? :D

Really good quality from the camera, Gramps - much better than my Bushnell. I also like the lower point of view.

Dave

I went past the woods I have access to yesterday with the intention of setting the camera up, but the other person who wild camps there was staying so I couldn't
I will pop back sometime in the week and leave it overnight which should hopefully answer you question

Last night we had the first lone visit from the single cub ... I think he surprised himself at the end!
(Note to self: don't site cameras facing one another! :facepalm: )

Before he/she made an appearance there was a bit of a standoff between the dog Fox and the Badger.

Great videos. Know what you mean about the positioning of cameras. I once set one at too close to perpendicular to a glazed door and got a huge searchlight like spot in every video.

Dave

The illumination appears more even and longer range than the H55, which is what I'd expect for 'low glow' versus 'no glow'. Have you moved your new H70 camera nearer to the feeders or is the field of view narrower than the H55?

The new camera's IQ is fabulous Roger are both these H70 and H55 apeman cameras,i'm quite taken with all this.

Ahh mate the shock............went out for an early morn stroll got my first roe image since lockdown:banana: when I went out at 430 fox on doorstep Came home, having a cuppa and Shaz beckons me to the front door...a bit of sneaky door openiing and there I am making pics of a fox cub just outside MFD from front my front doorwayo_O. Roger I've mentioned I have foxes visit but never before have I seen a cub. to actually get the door open aswell and him not be scared is just nuts. got a few pics too while moaning about POV,some guys are never happy:mad:

So there ya go mate country folks still get foxes too they haven't all gone to town for the easy life:LOL: The funny bit is I've spent ages trying for the foxes down the road lying down back and neck moaning and I could just sit here with a cuppa and be comfy,

this wildlife lock down lark is just plain strange:D Keep this going buddy It's a fascinating thread I can't tell you how chuffed I am to have a cub here aswell next door has dogs.... nuts simply nuts!!

Oh i'm not feeding them persay they have come for the bird scraps, well peanuts.:)

The illumination appears more even and longer range than the H55, which is what I'd expect for 'low glow' versus 'no glow'. Have you moved your new H70 camera nearer to the feeders or is the field of view narrower than the H55?

I do believe that the feld of view is slightly narrower ... I did angle it a little higher than the H55, which may explain the longer illumination but the even spread is much, much better.

The new camera's IQ is fabulous Roger are both these H70 and H55 apeman cameras,i'm quite taken with all this.

Ahh mate the shock............went out for an early morn stroll got my first roe image since lockdown:banana: when I went out at 430 fox on doorstep Came home, having a cuppa and Shaz beckons me to the front door...a bit of sneaky door openiing and there I am making pics of a fox cub just outside MFD from front my front doorwayo_O. Roger I've mentioned I have foxes visit but never before have I seen a cub. to actually get the door open aswell and him not be scared is just nuts. got a few pics too while moaning about POV,some guys are never happy:mad:

So there ya go mate country folks still get foxes too they haven't all gone to town for the easy life:LOL: The funny bit is I've spent ages trying for the foxes down the road lying down back and neck moaning and I could just sit here with a cuppa and be comfy,

this wildlife lock down lark is just plain strange:D Keep this going buddy It's a fascinating thread I can't tell you how chuffed I am to have a cub here aswell next door has dogs.... nuts simply nuts!!

Oh i'm not feeding them persay they have come for the bird scraps, well peanuts.:)

Ah pleased for you Stu, I was really chuffed to see the cub so I know how you feel.
The dog Fox accepts me in the garden but I haven't faced the Vixen or the cub ... I'm guessing they would both scarper.
Love to see your pics when you get a mo. :)

I tried the H70 on 'Highest Illumination' last night and it is impressive, not sure about battery effect yet but it does make a definite improvement IMO. The Badger was back stuffing himself so I had a good subject to see what the effect was like and what the camera can do.

Here is a single 1 min clip exactly 'as was' ... he was feeding, vandalising and sniffing...

Now the H70 does 4K at 30fps and this means that it it possible to crop the video, so I gave that a try on the above clip...

and if you have time on your hands here's the full 6 x 1 min clips (joined) of the time he spent in the garden...

Very good, can I ask what software do you use you edit/crop?

Back