Not in my back yard ... surely? *We have EVEN MORE cubs!*

I wish buddy I wish ,trouble is if I do that make 'em relax to humans then I've probably hung a death sentence around their collective necks. Around here they need to associate humans as a huge threat Roger, simply becuase they are. .Our situations are just so different buddy,

Yes I forget you are a country boy :)
I was watching Countryfile (I think!) the other evening and they were discussing the differences between rural & urban foxes and particularly the difference in reaction on their part to humans ... seem to remember the comment was that a city fox sees food whereas the rural fox sees a gun ... sad, on both counts really!

Here's our cub for you, not that I've seen this one up close, like you. :)

The video is much nicer with the new camera just had a brief catch up. Interesting Janny's post above I guess the study echos what i'm saying above ,our situations are so so different. Roger I do share some of Mr B's concerns tame wild animals and humans can give rise to areas of concern,I believe we have had a case here of a rumoured fox attack on an infant??, here UK I can't remember any details . sadly

Simply though this dog fox is already tame Roger I don't feel your actions are influencing it's behaviours in any way adversely beyond what has already happened. Simply urban foxes are being fed by folks and if you don't someone else will and probably already is feeding them

Sure as houses though without fear of man the potential for issues and conflict with humans is greater just the same as our deer.. I think that one needs to be aware of this and you are,I'd keep chugging along Roger. I know in my heart despite echoing the concerns raised above I'd simply be lying of the floor in that senario trying to make images.

Mate I often wonder if we don't fear animals like we should, because of where we live and how we are brought up. We simply have eradicated pretty much anything that can harm us and hence don't grow up with knowledge of bears wolves venomous snakes etc,like other children do around the world. Fear ( maybe better put an awarenss of danger isn't instilled in us as children , so we grow up like we are

I sort of feel we have lost something there. as a collective hard to put into words I know that fear isn't in me even though I know full well the potential of these and other animals like boar rutting deer etc. I sort of feel this awarenss is something we now have to make an effort to learn ,rather than it being a natural part of our psyche instilled by our parents.

Anyway I loved watching the videos mate

TFS

stu

Yes I forget you are a country boy :)
I was watching Countryfile (I think!) the other evening and they were discussing the differences between rural & urban foxes and particularly the difference in reaction on their part to humans ... seem to remember the comment was that a city fox sees food whereas the rural fox sees a gun ... sad, on both counts really!

Here's our cub for you, not that I've seen this one up close, like you. :)

I’ve only compared a couple, but don’t you think the glowing eyes are less obtrusive with the new camera? If true I guess it’s due to the better balance of the lighting, or is it the frame rate/shutter speed producing less blurring? Either way the are very good :).

I’ve only compared a couple, but don’t you think the glowing eyes are less obtrusive with the new camera? If true I guess it’s due to the better balance of the lighting, or is it the frame rate/shutter speed producing less blurring? Either way the are very good :).

I think the frame rate makes a great difference Richard but I'm sure that the actual camera and processor is far better.
TBH I was fearful of getting something at greater cost but lesser video quality but I couldn't have been more wrong, I'm not really that fussed with audio but the H70 was hopeless as the mic was covered, with this one I can hear the Badger and the Fox cub eating!
In truth it's a lot more money but for me well worth the difference to believe that it will work and I will have videos in the morning

I think the frame rate makes a great difference Richard but I'm sure that the actual camera and processor is far better.
TBH I was fearful of getting something at greater cost but lesser video quality but I couldn't have been more wrong, I'm not really that fussed with audio but the H70 was hopeless as the mic was covered, with this one I can hear the Badger and the Fox cub eating!
In truth it's a lot more money but for me well worth the difference to believe that it will work and I will have videos in the morning
I am interested in getting one of these.... but, my concern is it won't work as well in woodland, as your H55 videos were better than mine.

In any case we'd had very large tree down last week so the deer vacated the premises for a time...but they are slowly returning

my concern is it won't work as well in woodland,

If you mean the Browning, I don't see why it wouldn't work well, especially in a clearing like that.
Check some of the Internet videos, there are a number in woodland.

Lots of activity last night, 118 x 30 second video clips - the Browning misses nothing!
All bar about three were good footage of animals and a couple of birds (Magpie, Blackbirds & Lesser Black-backed Gull!).
We saw for the first time that the cautious Vixen has eased her fears and fed from the feeding tray, so maybe her hunger overcame her fear, though in truth the family haven't shown real signs of hunger before.
Both of the adults had cub(s) with them at some stage during the night and although not caught on camera, one of the adults caught some prey ... there was brief flash of an adult across the bottom corner of the screen with something in its mouth and the audio caught the sound of the youngsters in response, begging for the food.
Bit of behavioural activity between adults and youngsters.
Still learning video editing! :oops: :$

Incidentally an interesting .pdf HERE about Foxes from the RSPCA and around my home city.

Last edited:
The videos get better,Roger. I couldn't find the bit where one has some prey, though.I wondered if that parent that was sniffing the cub did so to make sure it was one of the family.

I read all of th PDF file. A great read and I envy the people whose stories were there. Not impressed with the last section on why the UK hasn't banned snares and we don't have a close season. I've googled (re snares) it but I'll leave it at that. If anyone wants to find out about it I'll leave it to them rather than post links.

The videos get better,Roger. I couldn't find the bit where one has some prey, though.

Thanks John, I didn't post the short clip with prey in its mouth it was fleeting and unclear.

Lots of activity again last night, more so of the cubs with either of the adults ... play and behavioural.
Slightly different angle, lower to get a closer view of the youngsters as I put some food near the concrete steps (camera side).
The cubs really do appear to be doing well. :)

Neighbours!

Great footage last night of the adults and cubs but also of a confrontation with the Badger.
Clearly there is no love lost between the Badger and the Vixen (audio on!) but it is interesting to see that the Badger does not see the cubs as a threat or anything to 'see-off'.
If a cub gets close, a glance or turn of the head seems to be all the Badger needs to do to satisfy its dominance ... cubs are awfully curious though! :eek:

Foxes always seem to go for a quick nip of the rear end and then leg it! Don't blame them either, they'd know about it if a badger got hold of them with those jaws and claws!

Foxes always seem to go for a quick nip of the rear end and then leg it! Don't blame them either, they'd know about it if a badger got hold of them with those jaws and claws!
Yes, I was thinking I wonder what happen with interactions underground, which probably happen :).

Yes I'm not surprised ... it's clearly a very powerful creature.
I assume it must have been him or his relative(s) that tore the hole in the thick wire fencing that the animals come through to get into the garden.

Yes I'm not surprised ... it's clearly a very powerful creature.
I assume it must have been him or his relative(s) that tore the hole in the thick wire fencing that the animals come through to get into the garden.
We had a badger go through the side wall of a well-made wooden shiplap garden shed once to get to a bag of bonemeal on the other side! It looked like a werewolf had attacked it, with two or three sets of five huge claw marks down the wood and two of the planks snapped in half!

Last edited:
With lighter nights it is easier to get a better view of the Foxes in the garden, the dog Fox comes in anytime around 6pm and yesterday teatime was out on the lower level enjoying a rest on the grass. The Vixen came in last night after 9pm and the pair spent a short while picking up scraps off a chicken carcase that I left out, (you can see the dog Fox 'collecting' in the 1st part of the clip).
At first I was a little concerned as close up the video gave the impression that maybe they weren't in such a good condition as I thought, however a bit of digging shows that their fur is showing signs of moult, which is natural around late Spring, so nothing like mange, which I was worried about.
The dog Fox does have what appears to be an old imjury to his left eye but is no longer showing any signs of injury to the left hind leg, which I had witnessed a while back (holding his leg off the ground).
NB. Gardener comes again Friday! :tumbleweed:

With lighter nights it is easier to get a better view of the Foxes in the garden, the dog Fox comes in anytime around 6pm and yesterday teatime was out on the lower level enjoying a rest on the grass. The Vixen came in last night after 9pm and the pair spent a short while picking up scraps off a chicken carcase that I left out, (you can see the dog Fox 'collecting' in the 1st part of the clip).
At first I was a little concerned as close up the video gave the impression that maybe they weren't in such a good condition as I thought, however a bit of digging shows that their fur is showing signs of moult, which is natural around late Spring, so nothing like mange, which I was worried about.
The dog Fox does have what appears to be an old imjury to his left eye but is no longer showing any signs of injury to the left hind leg, which I had witnessed a while back (holding his leg off the ground).
NB. Gardener comes again Friday! :tumbleweed:

Yes I thought could be mange but hard to tell in night shots so refrained from comment. Right time for moulting I think so let’s hope it’s that :).

What's the battery life like? are you still trying normal batteries or have you switched to re-chargeables?

What's the battery life like? are you still trying normal batteries or have you switched to re-chargeables?

I've been using rechargeables all along, (Eneloop, Ladda & Powerowl), and they last very well, about a 5%-7% drop in capacity overnight whilst taking around 60-70 x 30sec clips at full IR illumination.

I've been using rechargeables all along, (Eneloop, Ladda & Powerowl), and they last very well, about a 5%-7% drop in capacity overnight whilst taking around 60-70 x 30sec clips at full IR illumination.
So how many days are the batteries lasting?
Of my two cameras one takes about 12 shots every 3 days and the other is about 42 shots every 3 days. Cameras are on 24/7, batteries last about 16 days.
I am tempted by rechargeables, but being that I have to travel to my woodland I can't make up my mind whether they will last between visits?.

So how many days are the batteries lasting?
Of my two cameras one takes about 12 shots every 3 days and the other is about 42 shots every 3 days. Cameras are on 24/7, batteries last about 16 days.
I am tempted by rechargeables, but being that I have to travel to my woodland I can't make up my mind whether they will last between visits?.

I can't really give you a helpful answer there as I don't just take photos, I am taking a lot of video.
I don't just leave them out though, as they are just at the top of the garden I replace them regularly, before they get below about 40%.
In theory mine should last 16 days if they lose around 6% a day but as I'm taking video getting down to 6% or even 12% might cause them to shut down completely. In your case I would have thought that each camera would be fine with rechargeables, but then we are also talking different cameras.

I can't really give you a helpful answer there as I don't just take photos, I am taking a lot of video.
I don't just leave them out though, as they are just at the top of the garden I replace them regularly, before they get below about 40%.
In theory mine should last 16 days if they lose around 6% a day but as I'm taking video getting down to 6% or even 12% might cause them to shut down completely. In your case I would have thought that each camera would be fine with rechargeables, but then we are also talking different cameras.
Thanks...
I don’t take photos, all my activity is videos, it’s left on 24/7 as I get animal activity by day as well.
It does sound like rechargeables might be a better option for me.
Different cameras yes, but you did use the H55’s.
In any case I’ll have a look online at prices.

Thanks...
I don’t take photos, all my activity is videos, it’s left on 24/7 as I get animal activity by day as well.
It does sound like rechargeables might be a better option for me.
Different cameras yes, but you did use the H55’s.
In any case I’ll have a look online at prices.
Ah sorry I misunderstood when you said "shots".
TBH the cheap IKEA Ladda batteries have been every bit as good as the much more expensive Eneloops.

One of our Fox cubs is quite a brave little soul!
The Badger is quite a hulk and obviously would be able to destroy the cub if it had a mind to.
Yet look how tolerant the Badger is of the young cub, who cheekily comes right up to the nose of the Badger while he is eating!
Still very pleased with the quality from this Browning camera, even from a distance the definition is good but close up it is very good indeed.

Some lovely footage there, glad you're liking the Browning too. (y) Probably best to avoid giving them cooked chicken bones though, as they tend to be very sharp when they splinter, which might cause throat or gut injuries. I know foxes forage in cities and will find discarded KFC, or raid restaurant bins etc. but I'd stick to boneless if putting out cooked meat scraps.

Probably best to avoid giving them cooked chicken bones though, as they tend to be very sharp when they splinter, which might cause throat or gut injuries. I know foxes forage in cities and will find discarded KFC, or raid restaurant bins etc. but I'd stick to boneless if putting out cooked meat scraps.

I did consider that, indeed I have always believed that it was unwise to give Foxes and indeed Dogs & Cats chicken bones ... I remember my old mum telling me not to give chicken bones to our cat.
However, when considering feeding them and whether to use the remains of the roast chicken, I did some research and came across the .pdf that I posted earlier produced by the "Mammal Group, University of Bristol" ... a lot of informative material which includes a section on feeding them, it says:-

MEAT AND BONES The meat can be fresh, cooked or tinned, and the bones can be raw or cooked. Despite the stories, it is OK to feed foxes chicken bones.

In the main I leave out plain peanuts, a proprietory dried Fox & Badger food from an online store (Viovet) and the occasional biscuit with a bit of peanut butter.

That's interesting about the cooked chicken bones, I wonder if the same applies to Badgers? I know they love peanuts and honey or golden syrup as a special treat. Then again, fed that regularly then the sugar will probably rot their teeth. Everything in moderation is probably best when it comes to treats.

Some lovely footage there, glad you're liking the Browning too. (y) Probably best to avoid giving them cooked chicken bones though, as they tend to be very sharp when they splinter, which might cause throat or gut injuries. I know foxes forage in cities and will find discarded KFC, or raid restaurant bins etc. but I'd stick to boneless if putting out cooked meat scraps.
Chicken bones aren’t what they used to be — remember they are only about 6 weeks (?) old. The bones cook to rubber in a short time in a pressure cooker.

A Farmer friend of mine used to feed his dogs almost nothing else it seemed to me — he used to collect bones from other people plates at functions — Yorkshire farmer of course :).

Chicken bones aren’t what they used to be — remember they are only about 6 weeks (?) old. The bones cook to rubber in a short time in a pressure cooker.

A Farmer friend of mine used to feed his dogs almost nothing else it seemed to me — he used to collect bones from other people plates at functions — Yorkshire farmer of course :).
I used to feed those hide chews to one of my dogs that was about fox sized, they are nearly 6 inches long but he used to chew one end a bit and then swallow it whole with no apparent difficulty -- I stopped giving them to him as I nearly had a heart attack each time :).

I beleave I have a Badger that passes through my garden and has dug a number of holes under panal fence.
What set up can I use to capture an image or video of a badger in my garden ! ?
The hole-digging is a very good indicator of a Badger, though Foxes will as well.
A trailcam will get night footage so that you can see for sure what it is ... if it's just curiosity then they start from around £40 on Amazon but if you wanted something better I can recommend the Browning Recon Force Edge at £169.99, I got mine from Naturespy.

I beleave I have a Badger that passes through my garden and has dug a number of holes under panal fence.
What set up can I use to capture an image or video of a badger in my garden ! ?

Before spending money on (or borrowing) a trail camera, are there any field clues? Are there any small round droppings (about the size of a round sultana) near the holes under your panel fence, which might indicate rabbit? How large are the holes? Tennis ball size (possibly rat), Tyson Fury's fist size (possibly rabbit or hedgehog) or football size (possibly fox or badger)? However, before going off the size of hole, how solid is the ground? If it's sandy soil the hole will be bigger, as the soil will cave in rather than holding it's shape when dug. If it's stiff clay soil, then the hole will be about the same size and shape as the animal digging it, plus a bit for clearance. Hope this is useful. (y)

Whatever it is, please be as kind to it as you can. Many modern day gardens are inaccessible to creatures such as hedgehogs; opening them up to allow such animals to pass through them and forage within them could bring real benefits to British wildlife, particularly in the suburbs, towns and cities.

Before spending money on (or borrowing) a trail camera, are there any field clues? Are there any small round droppings (about the size of a round sultana) near the holes under your panel fence, which might indicate rabbit? How large are the holes? Tennis ball size (possibly rat), Tyson Fury's fist size (possibly rabbit or hedgehog) or football size (possibly fox or badger)? However, before going off the size of hole, how solid is the ground? If it's sandy soil the hole will be bigger, as the soil will cave in rather than holding it's shape when dug. If it's stiff clay soil, then the hole will be about the same size and shape as the animal digging it, plus a bit for clearance. Hope this is useful. (y)

Whatever it is, please be as kind to it as you can. Many modern day gardens are inaccessible to creatures such as hedgehogs; opening them up to allow such animals to pass through them and forage within them could bring real benefits to British wildlife, particularly in the suburbs, towns and cities.
Maybe :(. When I fenced my garden I left a gap a the button for hedgehogs, always had a lot here — and a lot squashed on the road outside. My dogs then were wary of the the spiny things so all was OK. Then I got a working Fell terrier and he hated hedgehogs and killed every he found. I usually didn’t let him out late in the evening in summer to avoid clashes, but hedgehogs have a death wish it seems :(. BTW the spines were no problem for him and there was no problem with their fleas. It’s possible he couldn’t kill a really large adult but I’m not sure. This experience has convinced me that badges would have no problem predating hedgehogs and are likely partly responsible for their decline.

Maybe :(. When I fenced my garden I left a gap a the button for hedgehogs, always had a lot here — and a lot squashed on the road outside. My dogs then were wary of the the spiny things so all was OK. Then I got a working Fell terrier and he hated hedgehogs and killed every he found. I usually didn’t let him out late in the evening in summer to avoid clashes, but hedgehogs have a death wish it seems :(. BTW the spines were no problem for him and there was no problem with their fleas. It’s possible he couldn’t kill a really large adult but I’m not sure. This experience has convinced me that badges would have no problem predating hedgehogs and are likely partly responsible for their decline.

I had left a small swallow hole under a panel fence which was used by a Hedgehog so he could travel freely. Recently I have had much deeper holes and a neighbour had blocked this hole from their side with wooded board and bricks. About a week later the bricks and soil had been dug out and a deeper hole had been made to go under the new board place below ground level.
I am pretty sure this has been done by a badger due to the weight of the bricks and volume of earth moved. I have chatted to said neighbour about leaving the hole and allowing the persumed badger culprit to pass through the gardens freely. As to not warrent any new holes to be dug and not have the garden destory buy an animal trying to get out !
However he declined as he has a dog and does not want the dog escaping his garden and he with barricade any new hole. No matter how much I warned him the badger will find a way and may destory some the garden to do so he was unmoved !

I might just get a trailcam and see if it is a badger that is causing the damage to our garden and if our horrible neighbour has heeded my warnings to 'Stay of My Land' ! !

I had left a small swallow hole under a panel fence which was used by a Hedgehog so he could travel freely. Recently I have had much deeper holes and a neighbour had blocked this hole from their side with wooded board and bricks. About a week later the bricks and soil had been dug out and a deeper hole had been made to go under the new board place below ground level.
I am pretty sure this has been done by a badger due to the weight of the bricks and volume of earth moved. I have chatted to said neighbour about leaving the hole and allowing the persumed badger culprit to pass through the gardens freely. As to not warrent any new holes to be dug and not have the garden destory buy an animal trying to get out !
However he declined as he has a dog and does not want the dog escaping his garden and he with barricade any new hole. No matter how much I warned him the badger will find a way and may destory some the garden to do so he was unmoved !

I might just get a trailcam and see if it is a badger that is causing the damage to our garden and if our horrible neighbour has heeded my warnings to 'Stay of My Land' ! !
I think badgers can destroy most things if they’ve a mind to :). Of course it might be his dog digging under? If it’s a large dog then the the obvious answer is to make sure the hole can’t be further enlarged, if it’s a small dog, I see his problem and don’t quite see why you call him “horrible”, it’s just a clash of interests :).

I am pretty sure this has been done by a badger due to the weight of the bricks and volume of earth moved.
My Badger(s) dig a certain section of my garden (actually less so now that I put food out) and my gardener put some huge stones down in the holes to stop them ... it didn't they just pull them out of the way and carry on digging!

Back