Not in my back yard ... surely? *We have EVEN MORE cubs!*

Very good, can I ask what software do you use you edit/crop?
Faasoft Video Converter does cropping and some other processes.
Windows Live Movie Maker joins avi video and allows some 'animation' processes to join two uneven clips (doesn't seem to like mp4).
Right-click > Open with Photos > Edit allows you to trim.
mp4Joiner quickly joins any clips together.

So any of those depending on what I am doing, (they are all/were free).
The above long clip just had rough joins, for a better effect using Windows LIve Movie Maker before the conversion to mp4 would allow a less 'clunky' join of the clips.

Thanks

and now for the bad news! :(

Having had nothing but great praise for the new Apeman H70 trailcam, last night was a real disappointment.
Having two cameras out (H55 & H70) I know that there were quite a few visits to the garden last night, but a high number were not caught by the new H70 (e.g. adult Fox walking right across the PIR zone).
That was disappointing but what followed was a horrible result to the visit of the Vixen.

I am hoping that this is just the result of a duff unit, possibly as it was delivered without any packaging.
Whatever, it will be going back to Amazon ... I have a 2nd H70 coming today but now I am begining to wonder if maybe my pleasure at its performance might have been misplaced, I hope not!

@Gremlin for information.

Not had mine in use for a few days, intending to pop over to the woods later so will see what happens

Looks like the IR filter hasn't retracted as it should. I'm beginning to wonder if the best days of these cheap trail cams might be behind them, build quality wise?

Looks like the IR filter hasn't retracted as it should. I'm beginning to wonder if the best days of these cheap trail cams might be behind them, build quality wise?

I hope not but you could be right, it does seem that it is the IR filter not retracting (a known problem for a lot of I/R cameras to be fair) I don't know if that could have been caused by the lack of packaging in delivery (the box was showing signs of poor handling) or whether this is purely an electronic function. Will see how the new one behaves tonight. :)

I hope not but you could be right, it does seem that it is the IR filter not retracting (a known problem for a lot of I/R cameras to be fair) I don't know if that could have been caused by the lack of packaging in delivery (the box was showing signs of poor handling) or whether this is purely an electronic function. Will see how the new one behaves tonight. :)
My H70 from Amazon arrived well packed, original box inside another box. Now I think of it there was some mention of “people can see what the item is” or similar. I suppose they are all coming from the same seller? Mine was “Treasureu”.

Ah, on the page it says “Item arrives in packaging that reveals what's inside. To hide it, choose Ship in Amazon packaging at checkout.” but I didn’t choose anything like that.

I had an email from the seller (via Amazon) offering extra 24 months Warranty + SD Card if I send the order number to the address on page 1 of the manual.

I had an email from the seller (via Amazon) offering extra 24 months Warranty + SD Card if I send the order number to the address on page 1 of the manual.

Mine also came from “Treasureu” on Amazon but no follow-up email.
The support email inside the box is useless (support.eu@) just goes to an auto-responder sending out a cut/paste message in Chinese!

Fox back early tonight but still caught me out and I was fortunate to get a shot off before he came down and joined me in the back yard. :)

Fox visitor
by Roger, on Flickr

The support email inside the box is useless (support.eu@) just goes to an auto-responder sending out a cut/paste message in Chinese!

Fox back early tonight but still caught me out and I was fortunate to get a shot off before he came down and joined me in the back yard. :)

Fox visitor
by Roger, on Flickr

The email address inside the print manual is different: tc.support@apemans.com. The mail I got said:

“We are now launching Exclusive Customer Service, here are the details.
1 on 1 Customer Help
Extra 24-month Warranty
Get a Free SD Card

Two steps to get your Exclusive Customer Service!

Step 1 【Find Email Address】

Find it on page 1 of the manual

Step 2 【Tell us the information】

Screenshot of the order detail or copy the number

Attached is the tips about how to use APEMAN trail camera well.

We focus on the requirements of each customer. If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will try our best to meet your satisfaction.”

i thought it may be a con but I’ve given them no more info than they already had from Amazon, and it was an email via Amazon. from “qmyzynkfy367g0y@marketplace.amazon.co.uk

The email address inside the print manual is different: tc.support@apemans.com. The mail I got said:

1 on 1 Customer Help
Extra 24-month Warranty
Get a Free SD Card

We focus on the requirements of each customer. If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will try our best to meet your satisfaction.”

i thought it may be a con but I’ve given them no more info than they already had from Amazon, and it was an email via Amazon. from “qmyzynkfy367g0y@marketplace.amazon.co.uk

I.m not sure what confidence I would have in the warranty TBH ... trip back to China no doubt.
Mine went post free back to Amazon, not sure what the situation would be in 9 months time!

I.m not sure what confidence I would have in the warranty TBH ... trip back to China no doubt.
Mine went post free back to Amazon, not sure what the situation would be in 9 months time!
Quite agree, but I thought I’d see what SD card they send :). Though have to say I’ve always been impressed with China/Hong Kong sellers for small priced stuff :).

I did a test tonight on whether or not there's any high-frequency sound emitted from my no-glow H55 camera using a bat detector (a scanning heterodyne detector, which displays the peak frequency detected).

The result? Yes, a 'high pitched' whine at 22 Khz when the camera triggers and records. However, this was just a quick test on just one camera, so don't take this as typical of them all based on these findings.

22 Khz is well within the hearing range of foxes, and other animals such as cats and dogs. So, if the findings from the test on my camera are typical, then I think that may well be the reason that some animals stare in the direction of a 'no glow' trail camera for a moment or two when it triggers.

Well replacement H70 worked fine last night, no nasty pink video ... hope it stays that way!
The little cub (maybe not so little) is getting a tiny bit more adventurous. :)
Wish I knew what was down the hole he is sniffing.

Last edited:
Roger..Wasn't that the spot that the adult seemed to be stashing something in an earlier video ?

Roger..Wasn't that the spot that the adult seemed to be stashing something in an earlier video ?

No John, it's an animal hole of some sort and has attracted the attention of the adult foxes and the badger, as well as the cub.
I don't know what is down there (or has been down there) but the scent is still obviously strong ... we have a resident hedgehog (didn't know until the trailcams were out!) but it's not his home and it wasn't a home for either of the rats we had visiting (none now thankfully).
Hopefully the mystery will be resolved at some stage.

Well last night brought something different again!
After seeing a single fox cub in the back garden for a few nights, we were surprised to see a second cub!
A few seconds into the next clip they looked at one another and ran in opposite directions ... I am assuming that maybe they are from different families.

Still the joy comes from seeing what is going on in the garden overnight, I am so glad I put the trailcams out. :)
Last night belongs to the Fox cubs ...

A dangerous encounter!

But all's well when with mum.

Roger I've been taken with all this from the off, I now as of last night also have 3 cubs. what the difference between the H70 and H70A . Starting to wonder on buying one myself. Buddy what's the next step up,I've briefly read some of the above. Obviously IQ is much improves over the first cam but what are the improvment to be seen in more expensive cams. Mate I am in need of doing some serious homework,but any pointers would be wonderful.

Thanks for this mate it's been a joy for me from the off,I'm still bewildered the same thing has happened here, I might follow your lead. with the cam , I'm more than a little sleep deprived

cheers

stu

Oh i'd lay a bet the hole is owned by a vole,maybe woodmouse, but I have the exact same thing here in the lawn,9 times out of ten tis a vole that comes out

Stu the 1st cam I used was the Apeman H55, its advantage is that it has 'no-low' I/R, so no red lights showing but the disadvantage is that it has what I will call 'old-style' I/R which acts like a torch beam and anything in the center of the 'beam' gets a white-out. It has 20mp photo resolution and up to 1080p video at 15 fps or 720p at 30fps.
The Apeman H70 doesn't have the 'no-glow' I/R but it does have the newer I/R which gives an even illumination. It also takes up to 30mp resolution photos and up to 4K video at 30fps.
They are both easy to setup and battery life seems good, I use rechargeables (not recommended) but recharge them every 3/4 days and haven't had an issue with capacity failure on 1 min video-clip capture through the night (8pm - 6am).
I bought from Amazon and service from them has been great ... Apeman Support is hopeless, emails just get an autoresponder in Chinese even from the alleged European Support email adress, I wouldn't buy direct or fram anyone without a proven service track record.
Higher priced UK versions of trailcams are much more expensive and do not have anything like the features of the Apeman.

A possible cautionary tale. I left my Apeman H70, set on photos only, at the bottom of the garden yesterday, which is a bit of a heat trap. It only took a few photos from about 10 am to 2 pm then nothing until the following morning. The last snap showed temp 36°C, it was in the sun but there is nothing that I can find in the manual to indicate working temp range — unusual that. Anyway tried the SD card in another camera, refused to recognise it, Tried in Mac & repaired & reformatted it. Meanwhile I had done a “reset all settings” in the H70 and left the batteries out.

Put the SD card back in, reformatted & and took a test video according to manual and it seems to be OK.

It looks as though the SD card got corrupted in some way but I can’t now exclude the camera also being affected. SD card is a 7dayshop 32gb class 10 so might be dodgy but I’ve never had any problems with them before.

Anyway, I shall be putting the cam out in shade in future :(.

A possible cautionary tale. I left my Apeman H70, set on photos only, at the bottom of the garden yesterday, which is a bit of a heat trap. It only took a few photos from about 10 am to 2 pm then nothing until the following morning. The last snap showed temp 36°C, it was in the sun but there is nothing that I can find in the manual to indicate working temp range — unusual that. Anyway tried the SD card in another camera, refused to recognise it, Tried in Mac & repaired & reformatted it. Meanwhile I had done a “reset all settings” in the H70 and left the batteries out.

Put the SD card back in, reformatted & and took a test video according to manual and it seems to be OK.

It looks as though the SD card got corrupted in some way but I can’t now exclude the camera also being affected. SD card is a 7dayshop 32gb class 10 so might be dodgy but I’ve never had any problems with them before.

Anyway, I shall be putting the cam out in shade in future :(.

Just come in from the garden after re-siting my H70 to a position more in the open!
I don't put the SD card back into the camera until evening so it will be cooler, then re-format and set to go.
Hope we will be okay with the camera being out.
I will put out a 2nd H70 later but haven't decided on an exact location yet, need to avoid flash overlap and at the same time get coverage of a well travelled area.

Just come in from the garden after re-siting my H70 to a position more in the open!
I don't put the SD card back into the camera until evening so it will be cooler, then re-format and set to go.
Hope we will be okay with the camera being out.
I will put out a 2nd H70 later but haven't decided on an exact location yet, need to avoid flash overlap and at the same time get coverage of a well travelled area.
36°C shade isn’t unheard of in other countries to so I was a bit surprised.

Fox visitor
by Roger, on Flickr

Just sit back in the garden, have whatever tipple takes your fancy and be really pleased with that one.

Dave

1 on 1 Customer Help
Extra 24-month Warranty
Get a Free SD Card

As I suspected, it may be a genuine offer but they want, 6 I think, outstanding reviews on Amazon plus all your address details & phone, I won’t bore you with the wording :).

As I suspected, it may be a genuine offer but they want, 6 I think, outstanding reviews on Amazon plus all your address details & phone, I won’t bore you with the wording :).

TBH I would advise Amazon of that, it must surely be against their selling policy?

TBH I would advise Amazon of that, it must surely be against their selling policy?
I don’t think so as there are lots of reviews for things that declare they were the product free in return for a review. Personally I hate Amazon and don’t use it if there is an alternative (eg Argos since I normally shop at Sainsbury’s and can collect stuff) but often there isn’t.

I am hoping that this is just the result of a duff unit, possibly as it was delivered without any packaging.
Whatever, it will be going back to Amazon ... I have a 2nd H70 coming today but now I am begining to wonder if maybe my pleasure at its performance might have been misplaced, I hope not!

Well this is really bad news, I got a replacement H70 and last night it displayed exactly the same problem with the I/R filter!
It's around the same time as the previous clip on the other camera so looks likke an inherent problem at certain light levels.

I also bought a 2nd H70 so that I could use two in the garden and that didn't record anything at all last night!
I am hoping that it was just user error and I am in the process of checking it now ... everything was setup correctly so it's another (3rd) faulty unit!

In the circumstances I really can't say I could recommend the Apeman H70 to anyone. :(

Last edited:
Was that the only video you got last night ?

Looking at the time it is around sunrise on both and I wonder if that is affecting it

Looking at this one, you can almost see the natural colours round the edges

Was that the only video you got last night ?

Looking at the time it is around sunrise on both and I wonder if that is affecting it

Looking at this one, you can almost see the natural colours round the edges

I got several videos from that camera Ingrid, in complete darkness it is fine but in the early morning (as you say, same time) the I/R doesn't switch off with light levels increasing.
I've just checked the other H70 (which didn't record anything) and it was setup 100% so not user error.
Very disappointed! :(

It was light this morning at 04.15am, the time on the video is 05.30am so I doubt it would be that.

With the H55 I sometimes get a period of BW then Colour then BW in the morning when the light gets brighter. I've put it down to the camera not deciding if it's fully daylight yet. This happens early on and not an hour or so after sunrise.

It was light this morning at 04.15am, the time on the video is 05.30am so I doubt it would be that.

Time on the video I'm seeing is 4.44 and yes it was fairly light here too, I was out on the road shortly after 5am

but still had the lights on the car on

the time on the video is 05.30am so I doubt it would be that.

I think you are looking at the date, the time was around 04:30 each morning ... it clearly can't decide if it needs I/R or not.

Well this is really bad news, I got a replacement H70 and last night it displayed exactly the same problem with the I/R filter!
It's around the same time as the previous clip on the other camera so looks likke an inherent problem at certain light levels.

I also bought a 2nd H70 so that I could use two in the garden and that didn't record anything at all last night!
I am hoping that it was just user error and I am in the process of checking it now ... everything was setup correctly so it's another (3rd) faulty unit!

In the circumstances I really can't say I could recommend the Apeman H70 to anyone. :(
Are the cameras that are showing the pink both facing the early morning sun or away from it?.
It's a shame because I've been tempted just by the quality of the footage.

I think you are looking at the date, the time was around 04:30 each morning ... it clearly can't decide if it needs I/R or not.

Ha, well spotted.

Convert to monochrome and it’ll be at least as good as the IR videos?

FWIW my H70 has returned to functioning normally with the same SD card,, as far as I can tell, after yesterday’s failure of it or the SD card.

Wow that seems either incredibly bad luck or a bad batch maybe?? , Gutted for ya Roger. Buddy thanks for the earlier reply I was really tempted myself by the H70 but this is a little concerning, to say the least. I hope you can get this sorted out soon Roger Both cams now down, that must be incredibly frustrating,all the luck sorting it

Are the cameras that are showing the pink both facing the early morning sun or away from it?.
It's a shame because I've been tempted just by the quality of the footage.

They were facing in opposite directions, so I am sure that it is an issue with the camera knowing at what point to switch the I/R function off. With this and the 2nd unit, (actually 3rd as the first 'pink' one was returned), not functioning at all at night does make me think that there is a serious issue with quality control on these units.
I also had to send one of the H55 units back so my failure rate has been really high!

Back