Not in my back yard ... surely? *We have EVEN MORE cubs!*

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Well back garden actually.
I have been watching a pair of foxes over recent weeks, a pair have set up a den somewhere close by and use my back garden as a thoroughfare.
I've put out a few bits of food as I know they had cubs last year but I had no idea if the fox was finding the food or whether it was one of the local cats.
I remembered that I had an unused trailcam so put that out last night and was surprised and delighted to discover the culprit!

I need to site the trailcam a bit better to improve the field of view but this was the first time I have used it.

However, I was surprised to find a badger in such an urban environment, we are very close to a main traffic route out of the city and although there is a small 'nature reserve' (aka dog-walkers field) nearby I didn't expect to see one of these in my garden.
Are urban badgers a common site near you?

I don't think you should be in the least surprised. Badgers have had a very high level of protection for years now, not that they didn't need it, but as a result the numbers have massively increased. I guess just like foxes they can find easier living in a city. I live in a rural village, so a bit different, but they are sometimes seen in gardens here, which may be why we don't see hedgehogs any more.............

No because I'm rural, but yup I have a set maybe 200yrds from home and they do visit although we don't feed( bar bird food scraps I have more than a sneaking suspicion we all have a lot more in our gardens than we realise Roger. I met an air test guy on site lovely chap he was feeding a female who got so tame is was unreal . He was also in a very built up area,sadly he lost her to a car. It will be interesting to hear more from the others mate, but I'm chuffed as hell for you There is going to be a bit of an awakening I think as we try to get through this lockdown. Ha me included,:D..............my neighbour told me he saw either stoat of weasel last week,I haven't seen a weasel here for 20plus years which is the more likely . I'm scheming already.

cheers for sharing mate nice seeing this

stu

I don't think you should be in the least surprised. Badgers have had a very high level of protection for years now, not that they didn't need it, but as a result the numbers have massively increased. I guess just like foxes they can find easier living in a city. I live in a rural village, so a bit different, but they are sometimes seen in gardens here, which may be why we don't see hedgehogs any more.............
Good points Jan ... going to make a real mess of the top 'lawn' though!
No because I'm rural, but yup I have a set maybe 200yrds from home and they do visit although we don't feed( bar bird food scraps I have more than a sneaking suspicion we all have a lot more in our gardens than we realise Roger. I met an air test guy on site lovely chap he was feeding a female who got so tame is was unreal . He was also in a very built up area,sadly he lost her to a car. It will be interesting to hear more from the others mate, but I'm chuffed as hell for you There is going to be a bit of an awakening I think as we try to get through this lockdown. Ha me included,:D..............my neighbour told me he saw either stoat of weasel last week,I haven't seen a weasel here for 20plus years which is the more likely . I'm scheming already.

cheers for sharing mate nice seeing this

stu

Hopefully get some better footage now I've moved the trail cam Stu.
I think you are right, much more around than we realise. :)

Great catch on the trail camera, Gramps. No badgers here in our urban garden but it is quite enclosed so if there were any around it would be difficult for them to get in.

We get the neighbourhood cats, foxes and best of all hedgehogs. Our trail camera catches one hog almost every night, sometimes two and a couple of nights ago there were three. There was some pushing and circling of two of them which might be courtship behaviour.

We bought a cheap mini tripod which is far better than the strap that came with the camera.

Dave

Last edited:
Great catch on the trail camera, Gramps. No badgers here in our urban garden but it is quite enclosed so if there were any around it would be difficult for them to get in.

We get the neighbourhood cats, foxes and best of all hedgehogs. Our trail camera catches one hog almost every night, sometimes two and a couple of nights ago there were three. There was some pushing and circling of two of them which might be courtship behaviour.

We bought a cheap mini tripod which is far better than the strap that came with the camera.

Dave

Good call on the tripod ... it actually came with a small fixing bracket which I haven't tried yet.
The strap seems okay apart from the clasp, which just isn't sturdy enough.

Good call on the tripod ... it actually came with a small fixing bracket which I haven't tried yet.
The strap seems okay apart from the clasp, which just isn't sturdy enough.

Agree about straps on trail cameras, our anyway. It is strong and clasp seems OK too. The problem I found was there never seemed to be a conveniently placed tree or post to strap it too; the tripod made things much easier.

Dave

I'd be careful putting a camera that isn't securely fastened to something anywhere within reach of a badger (and they can climb) as they're inquisitive creatures and might pick it up and run off with it! They've been know to do this with shoes and boots left by the back door of houses, so a trail camera would be an easy thing for them to carry off.

I'd be careful putting a camera that isn't securely fastened to something anywhere within reach of a badger (and they can climb) as they're inquisitive creatures and might pick it up and run off with it! They've been know to do this with shoes and boots left by the back door of houses, so a trail camera would be an easy thing for them to carry off.
I had an immediate vision of a badger shuffling off in a pair of boots! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I've just sited it on a piece of timber about 4' high, in the middle of a hedge, so I'm guessing the hedge would be too flexy for it.
It's overlooking the area it visits, so I'm hoping it should be safe and effective ... tomorrow will tell.

If it gets windy then you might get false triggers due to the camera sensing the movement of the hedge. You could always put a bit of packing behind the camera to angle it down or up if the tree or post isn't in the right position. As long as it's securely fastened to something immovable it should be safe enough, it might get sniffed at or nosed if it's in reach and the badger takes an interest in it. It's more if it's a stand-alone object such as mounted on a mini-pod on the ground or on a low table, etc that could get it carried off. Foxes will do this too.

If it gets windy then you might get false triggers due to the camera sensing the movement of the hedge. You could always put a bit of packing behind the camera to angle it down or up if the tree or post isn't in the right position. As long as it's securely fastened to something immovable it should be safe enough, it might get sniffed at or nosed if it's in reach and the badger takes an interest in it. It's more if it's a stand-alone object such as mounted on a mini-pod on the ground or on a low table, etc that could get it carried off. Foxes will do this too.
I think it's safe enough and I have wedged some apple tree cut-offs behind it to make it more secure.
A heavy wind will doubtless move it but the bit of breeze we're having at the moment isn't troubling it at all, if it whips up I'll move it to one of the concrete fence posts.

Sounds like you've got it sorted. You've probably worked it out by now, but you can look at the screen to aim the camera to frame the view you want, this is where attaching the camera securely to something comes in handy, as it doesn't move around too much from where you've pointed it when you close and fasten the camera's door.

Interesting. I've seen foxes carry off things - dog toys, flip flops and pull washing off the line - but not badgers.

When I use the trail camera in NW Scotland and record badgers regularly they are aware of the camera but haven't touched it other than knocking it over as they have just walked through it, but your comment has made me think, perhaps I have just been lucky so far.

Dave

Interesting. I've seen foxes carry off things - dog toys, flip flops and pull washing off the line - but not badgers.

When I use the trail camera in NW Scotland and record badgers regularly they are aware of the camera but haven't touched it other than knocking it over as they have just walked through it, but your comment has made me think, perhaps I have just been lucky so far.

Dave
It just depends if the mood takes them and they take a fancy to something:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDx5aoCGYZo&feature=emb_logo

No sign of the badger last night but regular visits from the fox, Vixen I think and signs of having cubs.
I put more of the neighbours tinned dog food out but the fox didn't touch any of it ... circled it several times throughout the night, cautiously approached it even a low frontal approach to sniff it but every time never even sampled it!
In the end the food was taken by gulls at around 6am ... weird!

Not the best footage due to I/R fog, so will have to re-site the trail cam again.

So best guesses please ... why wouldn't she eat the dog food?

Thats really good Roger, its a great feeling when you find out the lovely animals are visiting that you did not even know :) maybe try dry dog biscuits instead? And if you sprinkle peanuts the badgers love them (know that from the place we stayed at in Scotland where the badger would come in nightly and destroy the rodentarium they had built to clear the peanuts out)

Will look forward to watching progress on this one :)

Thats really good Roger, its a great feeling when you find out the lovely animals are visiting that you did not even know :) maybe try dry dog biscuits instead? And if you sprinkle peanuts the badgers love them (know that from the place we stayed at in Scotland where the badger would come in nightly and destroy the rodentarium they had built to clear the peanuts out)

Will look forward to watching progress on this one :)

Thanks Adam, yes I'll try some alternative foods and see what happens.
Really hoping that we'll get a visit from some cubs but will need to settle on a good trail cam position first! :)

Thanks Adam, yes I'll try some alternative foods and see what happens.
Really hoping that we'll get a visit from some cubs but will need to settle on a good trail cam position first! :)
Fingers crossed for you, we had first visit in December to our garden (3months after moving in) carried on once or twice per week for a month or so then nothing, I fear it has been killed as living on Exmoor they are heavily “controlled“ and heard some scary numbers about how many are shot here

Fingers crossed for you, we had first visit in December to our garden (3months after moving in) carried on once or twice per week for a month or so then nothing, I fear it has been killed as living on Exmoor they are heavily “controlled“ and heard some scary numbers about how many are shot here

Shame that Adam ... I've also ordered some dried dog food to see if that helps.
Which camera have you got Roger?
It's the Apeman Trail Cam that a number of us bought when it was being sold at a reduced price on Amazon.

Which camera have you got Roger?
Pretty sure Roger got one of the Apeman H55 20mp no-glow trail cameras from Amazon around November last year when they were on special offer for £36. I bought a couple at that price, and a few of the other forum regulars bought them too.

There's not as much money off them at the moment (perhaps wait a few days, checking back daily and see if there's a flash sale?), but even for that price for a 'no glow' trail camera with that spec I think you'd struggle to find better value. https://www.amazon.co.uk/apeman-Cam...j1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

There's a thread about them (and trail cameras in general) and how to get the best out of them here, which might be useful if you're thinking about buying one: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/trail-cam.690276/

Last edited:
An unwelcome visitor to the food stash!

The dog Fox finally submits to the lure of the dog food.

But the Vixen gives it a wide berth.

Question ... @Stuart Philpott and others ... does a Vixen show teets before giving birth, if so how long before?

Last edited:
Last time I put it out, couple of nights ago, I had a cute little mouse, last night a spider hung in front wrapping up it's prey,
just a white silhouette but in focus :thinking:
Camera was on the monopod hidden in a hedge

Nice to see you are getting a variety, my hedgehog hasn't been back for a while, gets too well fed round the corner

Last edited:
Last night was very active, 56 video clips but mainly of a couple of rats coming for the dog food, one from the back of the garden and one from the right side. The one from the back made several appearancs but was suddenly surprised by a fox, a rush off camera and that particular rat didn't make another appearance!

It is surprising that whilst the dog fox will take the food the vixen gives it a very wide berth, she sees it there and warily looks at it but never once attempts to feed.

Foxes as rat controllers that's novel Roger....I wonder whether mrs fox has kids or is about to and the wariness is just her being super cautious and tied into that ,we'll never know mate,but cool to wonder.

Ha forgive me:LOL: your little vids are fun,I've become quite attached to seeing the next installment not hard to please am I mate ... ahh the little things Roger . I've no job no dosh ,haven't a clue how I'm going to dig my self out of this mess. Yet I have a bloody big smile on my face cause of a vid and a blue tit making a nest:banghead:

TFS

Foxes as rat controllers that's novel Roger....I wonder whether mrs fox has kids or is about to and the wariness is just her being super cautious and tied into that ,we'll never know mate,but cool to wonder.

Ha forgive me:LOL: your little vids are fun,I've become quite attached to seeing the next installment not hard to please am I mate ... ahh the little things Roger . I've no job no dosh ,haven't a clue how I'm going to dig my self out of this mess. Yet I have a bloody big smile on my face cause of a vid and a blue tit making a nest:banghead:

TFS

Keep positive Stu, it's a bad time out there but the real world is carrying on outside of the gaze of most.
It helps us to realise how superficial and pointless much of our commercial way of life is and how very fragile it is.
That little Blue Tit may keep you entertained for weeks.
All the best my friend. :)

A very eventful night last night!

The wary Vixen eventually decided to try some food ... but watch her jump! :LOL:

And the Badger returns but follow him to the corner of the hedge, where he digs ... how many eyes do you see?

Yes folks we've got TWO BADGERS !!!

Sorry slow mate ,I decided to make a coat rack ,but it's me:banghead: ,Soooooooooo that turned into an added boot cupboard and even granite work top:rolleyes: all made from rubbish ok I bought screws... God I locked a state last night:LOL::LOL:

Keeping positive is the easiest way though this Roger you too me olde mate.:) I've got it easy compared with many and your are right we really don't need a lot,sure want loads but actually need.....times like this do bring home what's important don't they Roger;)

Buddy the blue tits, a few days in and already questions......female builds,but my female is tiny compared to her male,. Is that right mate?? Funny blue tits under our noses ,we all make images I have lots here and yet I'v never noticed this size difference. The male was also doing that fluttery wing mating display,He's unusually marked, ,it'll be fun watching them

and back to topic. Have you any plans ,I know it's early to try and make some images of brock or charlie with your DLSR but I just wondered if you had mused anything

Ha you've just popped up my:LOL: new installment/s brilliant.........thanks mateee:cool:

take care :D

A pair of foxes, a pair, ok maybe of badgers............ looking good for little ones later on Roger (y) I wonder if the vixen's reaction is scent based?

Not sure how I missed this thread, I have the Apeman H55 and a Campark T20. The Campark seems to be quicker at activating on movement and seems a wider angle lens but the H55 has the better image quality. The box the H55 came in has 16mp on the front but the bar code sticker on the rear of the box shows 20mp?

The vixen deffo has cubs as she is lactating plus it's the right time of year. No badgers here but I have had a fox and we have two hedgehogs who visit every night.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, good stuff!

Back