Not in my back yard ... surely? *We have EVEN MORE cubs!*

With my abilities in post ,please don't hold your breath :LOL: I absolutely haven't a clue what i'm doing Roger but I'm getting some footage that I feel is worth putting myself through the mill a bit for to work out how to share it . But Yeah, I'm going to struggle !!

I'm REALLY excited now Roger i've managed to film mum and cub these last couple of nights but the POV is horrible and through glass but I'm winning Mind I'm picky about POV I guess others might not have bothered going further The front door mod is done all out of scrap stuff smaller window for viewing and a nice big hole at base to make images through. Used an old dark green thick heavy skirt as a snood to go around lens and hide any light from back of camera and hopefully movement. I've just got to work out a way to hold snood around lens hood and I'm good to go. The fake door can't be opened from outside and obviously i'm unsure whether the foxes will react ,I suspect not. We'll see. Ha, house conversion( front side ) to full blown wildlife hide complete

get in:D

Looking good to go then Stu :clap:

I don't think they are going to drive them off roger,not just yet, i think what you are seeing is them being weaned???? I think i'm seeing the same. Her relationshiip is changing slightly and she's probably had a guts full of nursing . I suspect young 'un has just had a clattering and that's the above behaviour cause.

Looks like you are right Stu ... in this case it's dad (right at the begining) but definitely all the signs of 'find your own'!

One of the fox cubs, (no sign of the other two or mum last night), spent a long time last night deciding whether or not she should try the food from the feed tray. At times she sat looking around, as though looking for permission to eat, reminded me of a dog waiting for its owner to say it was "okay". :)

As I said I don't really care on being right . I think our ability to read them ( ok try to understand what's going on in their heads) helps us as image makers. It's also so damn interesting isn't it Roger!! I filmed a cub just sat watching with his back to me, no feeding, a couple of nights back, Just so similar to your second video behaviour wise almost uncanny.. Buddy mine our hanging about some where near me, I thiink yours are doing the same The cubs are aware of mum/parents position ( I'm not sure I have a dad) and are maybe listeniing to the other family members. As I say mate more of my madness, but based on what i've just written i'm now aware if I have a cub feeding it will tell me mum or other cubs are on their way with beaviours.

My door worked,mum is NOT impressed :LOL: Hmm I was going to make sort of a copy ,but I thought i'd be able to blag her with less effort. WRONG !! . I think she will settle, but she was up to her usual state of being coiled up like a spring last night. Three times she came in to feed but spooked she doesn't miss a thing, even with lights in her face she saw through it all.

I'm stoked though We got some film last night, no glass yippee:banana: lol i'm still too high but that's me being silly:rolleyes: It's tricky as they are so close they hear the camera lock the mirror up,let alone a shutter a big hole in door hasn't helped..I'm also chuffed becuase mum turned up with two cubs,while I was filming another. So the little runt we thought had maybe not made it, is alive and well, ha and fat:cool: I mentioned the cubs might have different marks, well little one is pale not only in face but markings and body colour. The two bigger are dark with much more accentualted face "stripes" . The dark cubs seem, to be with mum alot more than the runt, I suspect the little guy can't compete, so I'm his workaround, ie he comes here where he knows he gets food, even if it's only peanuts . He is def same family, was with the others last night, but at the same time ran away twice when they turned up.

It's just so lovely getting these insights into their lives so so close, although it's killing me doing it the way I am . But hey ho pain is temporary an image/film for ever. One little step closer so i'm a happy bunny mind i'm in no great shape to fight with an editing programme :banghead:

take care bud all the luck with them

stu

As I said I don't really care on being right . I think our ability to read them ( ok try to understand what's going on in their heads) helps us as image makers. It's also so damn interesting isn't it Roger!! I filmed a cub just sat watching with his back to me, no feeding, a couple of nights back, Just so similar to your second video behaviour wise almost uncanny.. Buddy mine our hanging about some where near me, I thiink yours are doing the same The cubs are aware of mum/parents position ( I'm not sure I have a dad) and are maybe listeniing to the other family members. As I say mate more of my madness, but based on what i've just written i'm now aware if I have a cub feeding it will tell me mum or other cubs are on their way with beaviours.

My door worked,mum is NOT impressed :LOL: Hmm I was going to make sort of a copy ,but I thought i'd be able to blag her with less effort. WRONG !! . I think she will settle, but she was up to her usual state of being coiled up like a spring last night. Three times she came in to feed but spooked she doesn't miss a thing, even with lights in her face she saw through it all.

I'm stoked though We got some film last night, no glass yippee:banana: lol i'm still too high but that's me being silly:rolleyes: It's tricky as they are so close they hear the camera lock the mirror up,let alone a shutter a big hole in door hasn't helped..I'm also chuffed becuase mum turned up with two cubs,while I was filming another. So the little runt we thought had maybe not made it, is alive and well, ha and fat:cool: I mentioned the cubs might have different marks, well little one is pale not only in face but markings and body colour. The two bigger are dark with much more accentualted face "stripes" . The dark cubs seem, to be with mum alot more than the runt, I suspect the little guy can't compete, so I'm his workaround, ie he comes here where he knows he gets food, even if it's only peanuts . He is def same family, was with the others last night, but at the same time ran away twice when they turned up.

It's just so lovely getting these insights into their lives so so close, although it's killing me doing it the way I am . But hey ho pain is temporary an image/film for ever. One little step closer so i'm a happy bunny mind i'm in no great shape to fight with an editing programme :banghead:

take care bud all the luck with them

stu

Glad it's working for you Stu, it's great when a plan come to fruition with wildlife.
I find myself wondering where the missing ones are any time I don't see them, hoping that they haven't been injured or killed as traffic is now much busier. I haven't had the badger visit for several days now, he/she doesn't usually miss more than two nights, so I'm worrying, feel like an anxious parent waiting to say "what time do you call this!". :LOL:

Ha We are a lost cause:LOL:

i've no real idea how this plan is going to come together,ha the journey is oft the fun bit, I just can't ever seeing me being given a chance like this again. So am sort of hitting it with all I have. It's simply that really mate ,i'm filming wild nutty foxes at point blank range with a 100mm which really could be wider, jeepers i wish I had a 70-200 2.8 right now.,

Buddy I struggle with post I'm open about it you're waay more gifted than I at such things, that said............. , have a look at this link to Davinci. It's a begiinners tutorial. I think this guy is going to walk me through my first video sure a very base way but that's fine .
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gT-srcpC6w

Two visits already by the little one it's only 11;30 blummin dogs next door sent him packing second time,it#s going to be a long night:)

A rare visit during the daylight (early morning) from the Vixen.
She is going through the moult but looking in pretty good condition and now easily takes food from the food tray, despite the protests of the Magpie family hassling her all the way through!

Re weaning mate, your vixen doesn't have anywhere near the size mammary glands as the one i'm watching, So i'd guess she's barely if at all nursing and your cubs are a bit older than what we see here. just observations . Ha maggies brilliant are they not. It's a real shame my neighbours have pretty much scuppered dayliight visits. With a window open , we could actually hear the magpies getting closer and closer down the hedge towards our house. So we had this fantastic alarm system to tell us of an visit It amazes me the maggies don't drive the foxes nuts as they just don't let up I guess being an almost daily ritual the foxes just are immune to the racket.

Lovely vid looks well doesn't she:).

Re weaning mate, your vixen doesn't have anywhere near the size mammary glands as the one i'm watching, So i'd guess she's barely if at all nursing and your cubs are a bit older than what we see here. just observations . Ha maggies brilliant are they not. It's a real shame my neighbours have pretty much scuppered dayliight visits. With a window open , we could actually hear the magpies getting closer and closer down the hedge towards our house. So we had this fantastic alarm system to tell us of an visit It amazes me the maggies don't drive the foxes nuts as they just don't let up I guess being an almost daily ritual the foxes just are immune to the racket.

Lovely vid looks well doesn't she:).

Yes in the last week it has been noticeable that she is no longer feeding the cubs, 'flattened out' completely over the last couple of days.
She does look really well doesn't she. :)
The Magpies have three chicks, quite large now and flying well but still constantly begging for food ... if they are not yelling it's an adult yelling that a neighbour's cat is approaching. :)

That's a fantastic observation mate................ ie . how shes changed and the time it took, That is of great interest to me. i'm seeing suckling well maybe 3 days back ,but i'm guessing it won't be long now before she has had enough. of those sharp teeth. !!

Had the first daytime (early morning 5:30) visit from one of the cubs this morning.
I think it is the oldest and she is already looking very much like the young adult.
Night activity is now very short and fast, often just trotting down the path on the way through the garden, sometimes a chase, occasionally a stop to investigate the food tray.
Has a very brief visit from the Badger again last night so it is still alive and well. :)

@Stuart Philpott
A little more evidence of the adults having had enough of the cubs.
Only two cubs seen overnight, fleeting visits, but this morning at around 5am the two adults and one cub came into the garden.
As can be seen the cub (youngest?) still wants to be around but is getting rebuffed.

That's not very nice..it's their own little 'un..It sees mum/dad, runs to them expecting a bite to eat not to mention a welcome and they give it some grief....poor soul..It could end up with an inferiority complex....:LOL:

Lovely footage,Roger and so clear. Is that water in the ice cream carton ? I've kept an eye on it each time I look in but don't see any of them lapping up water.

Darned magpie....lol

That's not very nice..it's their own little 'un..It sees mum/dad, runs to them expecting a bite to eat not to mention a welcome and they give it some grief....poor soul..It could end up with an inferiority complex....:LOL:

Lovely footage,Roger and so clear. Is that water in the ice cream carton ? I've kept an eye on it each time I look in but don't see any of them lapping up water.

Darned magpie....lol
I thought dad seemed to be acting the peacemaker there :).

Darned magpie....lol

Thanks John, yes I think it's a bit like adults with a 30-something still living at home! :LOL:

Fresh water nightly in the ice cream tub, they do sometimes take from it through the night but it's mainly used by the Magpies!

Roger cheers for the alert:) ,ha one day you will see some of my nut cases. Your footage is fascinating, they are all a bit scatty about food,well protective of it. I've seen cubs snap at mum as well as the other way around. So my hunch is mum's just being a bit protective of food Lmao dad's so bloody laid back I don't think he care's much he's probably thinking,ha if I eat all this roger will just stock it back up for me, so I can share some with my kid:)" But there is a very subtle distancing going on with parents especially the vixen which is logical as the cubs don't feed from dad,so her relationship has to change further , Buddy if you do get to catch a proper, telling off, it might shock you, I haven't filmed this but seen it,they don't mess about.

I wish I had a dog fox coming here as well,i'm unsure if vixen is just doing the job of rearing on her own or he#s here but wary of humans so will not visit the gardens .
i've not seen any nursing for maybe a week now. so if I can keep going next week might be interesting re vixen and your earlier notes on how she changes..

Something strange happened last night, I've been recording with no sound, but something spooked cub last night and then I hear a sort of grunt just the other side of the fake door I film through, I'm utterly stumped wish I had sound engaged as I'd love to hear that back. i'm clueless as to what it was. My gut says brock is the most likely as I can tie that breif sound into previous incidents. but I also can't believe brock would be that close to me without smelling me I can only see through the camera when filming as they even react to the screen lighting up for live view,let along their reaction to mirror lock up, so could see nothing. Really really strange, i'm stumped by it.

Buddy how wide is the trail cam lens, i've no idea on sensor size either,just wondered if you could give me a rough FF equivilent in mm ?

lovely stuff

Roger, you are posting through you tube might that be the most painless way for me to share. Is there any reason you use that over say vimeo. Do you have an actual channel on you tube? Sorry mate trying to get my head around to much i've suddenly realised I have no real understanding of how you tube works from the point of view of a poster not a viewer
Funny it's 4PM as I write and the maggies crows and jacky have just all kicked off say a 100 yards away

That's my lot up to no good I imagine:)

cheers again for the heads up Roger

stu

Stu it could well be a Badger you are hearing, if you are putting food out there is a good chance if there's a Badger around he will find it too, my foxes are very wary of the Badger but not altogether deterred by it.
The Browning trailcam is, I believe, 90 degree field of view but as for sensor size etc I have no idea, just did a quick spec check but cannot find any specific details.
As for youtube, I didn't have an informed preference, I just knew that youtube was there and have used it very occasionally in the past so it was my first port of call. I upload via youtube studio and do have my own channel using my Google account, quite straightforward really, the upload procedure is 'walkthrough'.
TBH I'm getting almost as much amusement from the Magpies as from the Foxes. :LOL:

Something strange happened last night, I've been recording with no sound, but something spooked cub last night and then I hear a sort of grunt just the other side of the fake door I film through, I'm utterly stumped wish I had sound engaged as I'd love to hear that back. i'm clueless as to what it was. My gut says brock is the most likely as I can tie that breif sound into previous incidents. but I also can't believe brock would be that close to me without smelling me I can only see through the camera when filming as they even react to the screen lighting up for live view,let along their reaction to mirror lock up, so could see nothing. Really really strange, i'm stumped by it.
Security cam outside to give you a continuous general view?

Update re: the Apeman H70 trailcam.

I have posted in the thread the problems that I experienced with the Apeman H70, i.e. 'pink' video in the early morning when the I/R cut filter didn't cut out on 2 x units and a 3rd unit defaulting some settings, leading to none recording - I made my observations known via the Amazon Feedback system and then via an interchange with the supplier.
I have today received notification from the supplier that a free 'latest' replacement is being sent to me (should receive it tomorrow) as compensation for my inconvenience.
So I will put that one out from tomorrow and see how it performs and let you know what I find.

and it duly arrived this lunchtime, so will set it out in the garden this evening to see how it does.

Last edited:
Roger many thanks for the above, Re brock they could well be here, I just feel I'd know by now I knew the foxes were here but the cubs were a suprise, looking back with hindsight I was given all the clues that cubs were here, I just didn't do my bit and read it. I def have badgers within reach just don't think they are using my garden . But I may well be wrong :)

But the sound was inches from my face I just can'tsee one ever getting that close with their incredible sense of smell it's that that doesn't stack up for me.

Rich we ( me and my lass) talk about PIR sensors,and your little neo cam almost daily, I'm a scatter brain bro but I bloody listen hard when folks are trying to help me. It would certainly answered what happened here last night. I may well go there shortly. Its simply time and my PC abilities don't help

I've got too many balls in the air at the moment Rich trying to get my head around vid editing shooting and lights is all utterly new and all a huge struggle. Lol it took me hours and hours to render the first one mate, Actually that seemed to be down to a bug in Davinci not me (lots of foks struggling) ,which was a huge surprise. to me .I just don't want to add anything else in at the moment. But yes your little cam would have answered last night's Q Weird mate not oft i'm as perplexed by a sound in nature like I was last night

Roger again thank you for the help, (y)

Thanks John, yes I think it's a bit like adults with a 30-something still living at home! :LOL:

Fresh water nightly in the ice cream tub, they do sometimes take from it through the night but it's mainly used by the Magpies!

I see now.

We have a magpie that has a really short tail..I mean about 2-3" but it seems to fly and land ok. It's a youngster from this year's batch.

Well last night's footage was yet another surprise!
How many foxes were there at any one time in the garden? (Clue, watch for the pairs of eyes top left as well).

At least one of the new cubs was a dog Fox so I wonder ... is this the rest of the family, or is it young from another family that have latched on for the night? :thinking:

@Stuart Philpott
I remember why I discounted Vimeo, the free account allows 500mb pw upload and a maximum storage of 5GB - Youtube free is basically unrestricted.

Well last night's footage was yet another surprise!
How many foxes were there at any one time in the garden? (Clue, watch for the pairs of eyes top left as well).

At least one of the new cubs was a dog Fox so I wonder ... is this the rest of the family, or is it young from another family that have latched on for the night? :thinking:.

Brilliant video, Gramps. You must be pleased having that many visit. Are there three adult foxes at one time?
Don't know if I have over counted but I think there might have been ten in total.

Dave

Brilliant video, Gramps. You must be pleased having that many visit. Are there three adult foxes at one time?
Don't know if I have over counted but I think there might have been ten in total.

Dave

Thanks Dave, yes it was great to see them all, especially as I was thinking that the visits were reducing over recent days.
I'm not sure if there were 3 adults, a couple of the cubs are quite large now, especially appearing so nearer the camera.
I thought there were 7 in total but it is a job to tell as they charge around ... I've been busy this morning but I'm going to have to watch it again more closely and do a bit of pause > rewind I think. :)

Ahh that litle gem about vimeo is a huge help roger,straight off it won't be for me. massive thanks I spent time reading vimeo last night being so tired I'm missing stuff thanks buddy:cool:

Lol funny you'll like this me learniing the hard way.:D................................ I sent my first vid,just footage cut together ( my first attempt ) too a friend yesterday, It took 12 hours to upload.:banghead: I'm getting there Roger but it's a bit one step forwards two back at the mo.

As to your video me olde mate,WOW ,it's just so cool ,i've roped my lass in too watch aswell,just brilliant amte, I'm reckoning six and haven't a clue what going on,just I best not stray from feeding peanuts. your super attractive food would create utter carnage here:LOL::LOL: Lord there is some lovely stuff in that vid buddy, shame it's IR. I find it diconnects me from them as I can't see the eyes mate, but i'm coming back to have another watch of this later that's for sure

thanks mate need all the help I can get at the mo and the footage makes me smile;)

As to your video me olde mate,WOW ,it's just so cool ,i've roped my lass in too watch aswell,just brilliant amte, I'm reckoning six and haven't a clue what going on,

I think it's six ... my two adults and four cubs, two larger than the other two.
I don't know if it's one family, I don't know enough about them to understand really ... I thought that the third was an interloper in the group but now a fourth! :thinking:

I've got two cameras out tonight, the Browning and the freebie Apeman H70 so I can cover a larger area but to be honest setting up using a small LCD screen in the daylight is a little bit hit and miss!

It's funny isn't it ,we are both watching or filming most nights, and logically we should know more each and every day , Yet it's seems the further we go the more questions we have rather than answers.

I think you are looking at one family buddy, those reactions that made both of us think you might have another families cub, were just part of foxes being foxes,r Buddy I'll have sat outside my first fox earth at somewhere around the age of say 8-12 years old . I remember first year at grammar I handed in a project and my teacher going nuts about me little beasties so the date is pretty accurate . Charlie has been a problem and a friend for me all my adult life and I still haven't a clue exactly what is going on with both yours and mine. I'm constantly reappraising what I felt i'd learned. with the ones I see.

Re The size disparity in cubs, i'm seeing that. I thought I had two bigger darker cubs and one smaller paler whom I'm all but convinced I know and can ID. The small one is the one I call cubins, When cubins is at the back just in the light I have possibly mis ID that one. But I am sure two cubs from the same little can be different size wise. I'm utterly sure sure I am seeing that here and think you are to.

Buddy fox do have territories but they can overlap,But I'm talking rural foxes now ,only cause it's all I know,i've not lived in a town since I left home. Logically that should translate to urban ,but does it in reality?? To me the adults just would not tolerate other cubs in their patch especially coming to a food source, which in theory they should be protective of. But who knows ,

All this simply fascinates me. mate it's never about rights and wrong just watching and trying to learn ,ahh ya know what I mean it's got into you too:D

It's funny isn't it ,we are both watching or filming most nights, and logically we should know more each and every day , Yet it's seems the further we go the more questions we have rather than answers.

I think you are looking at one family buddy, those reactions that made both of us think you might have another families cub, were just part of foxes being foxes,r Buddy I'll have sat outside my first fox earth at somewhere around the age of say 8-12 years old . I remember first year at grammar I handed in a project and my teacher going nuts about me little beasties so the date is pretty accurate . Charlie has been a problem and a friend for me all my adult life and I still haven't a clue exactly what is going on with both yours and mine. I'm constantly reappraising what I felt i'd learned. with the ones I see.

Re The size disparity in cubs, i'm seeing that. I thought I had two bigger darker cubs and one smaller paler whom I'm all but convinced I know and can ID. The small one is the one I call cubins, When cubins is at the back just in the light I have possibly mis ID that one. But I am sure two cubs from the same little can be different size wise. I'm utterly sure sure I am seeing that here and think you are to.

Buddy fox do have territories but they can overlap,But I'm talking rural foxes now ,only cause it's all I know,i've not lived in a town since I left home. Logically that should translate to urban ,but does it in reality?? To me the adults just would not tolerate other cubs in their patch especially coming to a food source, which in theory they should be protective of. But who knows ,

All this simply fascinates me. mate it's never about rights and wrong just watching and trying to learn ,ahh ya know what I mean it's got into you too:D

Interesting input Stu, thanks. :)
I find myself wondering, where have the other two cubs been until now?
Urban foxes are certainly numerous in the city so I can certainly believe that territories would overlap, food isn't such a problem for them as rural foxes so I'm guessing that there wouldn't need to be such rivalry but I don't know that.
Fun trying to find out though. :LOL:

After Friday night's 'garden party' things were a lot quieter last night, basically just the Vixen passing through and the smallest cub looking for food ... oh and Mr Badger the food vacuum!

Little'un came back early morning...

(Cropped video).

Clip to show how good the movement detection is on the Browning.
It can be challenged by a fast fox sometimes but with 'normal' movement it does really well ... our Badger Hoover!

I had the Apeman H70 up in the opposite corner of the back garden and discovered that with the Apeman H70 set at 4k, the camera was actually running at just 10fps, even in daytime ... so the footage wasn't that good.

Last edited:
Funny isn't it how there is alot of activity one night much less on the next strange . you just aren't getting any luck with the apeman it seems Roger, i'm saddened I hoped this was a bad batch and things might be better now It seems the superior quality of the browning manifests itself in many ways !!.

You talking about water made me think mate. i have a little builders tray I set up for the birds very crude balanced on big posts. i'd hidden it behind me cheery tree for the fox filming,but we moved it yesterday and I faked it into the ground. It went in really well and I nabbed a couple of drinking shots last night which was lovely . The best bit though mate and I'm silly excited is the slow dawning that happened last night while shooting . Due to my triedness I let the mirror go down on cubins twice by mistake , but fella didn't spook It suddenly occurred to me well it pretty much slapped me ,that here finally was my chance to make an image.

So i've finally got something I can post easily not a video head ache in sight :LOL:

You talking about water made me think mate. i have a little builders tray I set up for the birds very crude balanced on big posts. i'd hidden it behind me cheery tree for the fox filming,but we moved it yesterday and I faked it into the ground. It went in really well and I nabbed a couple of drinking shots last night which was lovely . The best bit though mate and I'm silly excited is the slow dawning that happened last night while shooting . Due to my triedness I let the mirror go down on cubins twice by mistake , but fella didn't spook It suddenly occurred to me well it pretty much slapped me ,that here finally was my chance to make an image.

So i've finally got something I can post easily not a video head ache in sight :LOL:

Good to hear Stu, look frward to seeing something soon. :)

Go have a look mate wildlife section I think Roger it's so funny ,can't believe I finally have some pics,:runaway:

Go have a look mate wildlife section I think Roger it's so funny ,can't believe I finally have some pics,:runaway:

Looking good Stu, wouldn't have immediately guessed that was taken under artificial light ... what was she looking at?
Look forward to seeing how things progress.

Last edited:
Plastic isn't good!

Last night the dog Fox brought back something in a plastic bag, he was immediately followed by the Vixen and then there was a tug of war under the trailcam whilst they fed on the contents of the bag.
However a little later Badger arrived on the scene and found remains of the plastic bag, obviously thinking there was something good to eat ... makes distressing viewing really and a reminder of the effect that our use of plastic is having on wildlife.

This was with the Apeman H70, cropped and processed in highest quality with Movavi, the Badger's detail makes it look better than it is.

Back