Not quite a snow goose.

Mr Badger

Didymus
Edit My Images
No
Spotted this today amongst a largish flock resting in a field in south Cheshire. I wondered what it was to start with until I got the binoculars out, then I realised it was a leucistic pink-footed goose! It was around 150m away in very dull, murky, lighting conditions, hence the poor-quality, heavily cropped photos, but I thought I'd share the sighting as it's something a little out of the ordinary.

Just wondering if you had checked on your local birders website (or similar). You do get some very strange hybrid geese amongst wild flocks sometimes.:)
No, but I did some internet research on leucistic pink-foots and it seems they occur quite frequently. The one pictured appears consistent with photos of other examples, and the markings on the beak also lead me to believe it's a light form of pink-foot (the characteristic pink patch between the dark tip and nasal areas, which can be seen in the second photo). I'm always open to suggestion if any experienced 'bird botherers' know different though. :)

Back