Notch-horned Cleg

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
We as humans just don't want to get too close to the cleg fly females - them pincers make a nasty mess of your skin!

(Haematopota crassicornis and) Haematopota pluvialis are very similar. This is the latter (brown mottled wings).

She kept landing on my shirt and I kept flicking her away - and for a brief amount of time, she landed on the fence, where I felt more comfy approaching!

horseflyfence1_4k_1800-X3.jpg

horseflyfence2_4k_1800-X3.jpg

horseflyfence3_4k_1800-X3.jpg

Paul.

Very nice, the eyes, amazing :)

Nice shots Paul

Thanks Jak - I must say she spent more time chasing me than I did her!

Paul.

I was just swatting them away today (about the only thing I do) I couldn't bee bothered trying to get a shot

Nice shots Paul

I was just swatting them away today (about the only thing I do) I couldn't bee bothered trying to get a shot

Cheers Alf.

I'm in the process of testing a new diffusion method.

Paul.

Another great set of close up Paul. (y)

Of all the things I have been bitten or stung by over many years as a pestie,
this is the only thing I re-act badly to. I hope you swatted it after :D

Another great set of close up Paul. (y)

Of all the things I have been bitten or stung by over many years as a pestie,
this is the only thing I re-act badly to. I hope you swatted it after :D

It's still out there somewhere m8...

Paul.

One good way to photograph horse flies is if you have a dark car when you stop driving to see if they land on it.
The only one I have ever photographed in the UK was on my dark car
HorseflyIMG_5529 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Sadly this is not used as a selling point by car salesmen.

(Also they do need cleaning so often - you can't see the dirt).

One good way to photograph horse flies is if you have a dark car when you stop driving to see if they land on it.
The only one I have ever photographed in the UK was on my dark car
HorseflyIMG_5529 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Sadly this is not used as a selling point by car salesmen.

(Also they do need cleaning so often - you can't see the dirt).

I find them annually on the same gate post which is showing signs of rot and that may be because of the clegs and do not wear shorts when in the area.

That may be a male as males of pluvialis have an orange third antennal segment and so it is vegetarian unlike the females.

Last edited:
Or a horse? :ROFLMAO:
True but I do have other uses for my car - I don't really have any for a horse (I could fall off and I don't have space or money for one).

I find them annually on the same gate post which is showing signs of rot and that may be because of the clegs and do not wear shorts when in the area.

That may be a male due males of pluvialis have an orange third antennal segment and so it is vegetarian unlike the females.
Thanks for that

Back