Nothing to see here.

What's left is a sad sight at the moment and interestingly is adorned with an anti-white racist message including obscenities, (hence no photo of that side)..

But if this is, as you claim, true, then that's actually the most interesting thing about it! What 'anti-white racist graffiti' is written on it? I haven't read of anything like that happening. I think such things need to be shown, tbh.

But if this is, as you claim, true, then that's actually the most interesting thing about it! What 'anti-white racist graffiti' is written on it? I haven't read of anything like that happening. I think such things need to be shown, tbh.
Yeah I agree, I think the anti white stuff should be called out and shown. It would make a more interesting image too.

I saw it this morning but did not photograph it.
I can understand you viewpoint, I just do not use, repeat, or photograph obscenities ... personal choice. :)

I saw it this morning but did not photograph it.
I can understand you viewpoint, I just do not use, repeat, or photograph obscenities ... personal choice. :)

But what did it say? Without evidence, your claim is without foundation.

Bit like that Colston statue right now! :LOL:

But what did it say? Without evidence, your claim is without foundation.

Bit like that Colston statue right now! :LOL:

I'm not making any claims though, I'm just stating what I saw ... you don't have to believe me, it matters not. :)

I'm not making any claims though, I'm just stating what I saw ... you don't have to believe me, it matters not. :)

But you literally are making claims. 'I'm just stating what I saw'. Without providing any actual evidence (which you could easily have done). I tend not to believe claims without evidence. Was it actually 'anti-white racism'? Or just your perception of such?

Last edited:
But you literally are making claims. 'I'm just stating what I saw'. Without providing any actual evidence (which you could easily have done). I tend not to believe claims without evidence. Was it actually 'anti-white racism'? Or just your perception of such?

If you're that interested why don't you go and see it for yourself
Personally I believe Gramps and would have done exactly the same this forum does not allow
profanities

If you're that interested why don't you go and see it for yourself
Personally I believe Gramps and would have done exactly the same this forum does not allow
profanities

I don't live in Bristol, so it's a bit tricky for me to get there right now. I've seen no reports, anywhere, of any 'anti-white racism' scrawled on the monument. All we have here, is an unsubstantiated claim with no evidence. A snap of something, with context added afterwards. As a believer in truth and objectivity in 'journalism', I feel it's vital to provide evidence for any claim, that's all. I have no reason to believe, or disbelieve, gramps or anyone else that I don't know. But I'm sure that if this claim were true, sections of the media would be all over it like a rash; they thrive on such divisive political stuff. We live in an age of 'fake news', where truth is becoming ever more important in journalism, so it's increasingly important to be as objective as possible.

What I am actually more intrigued by, which the OP seems to have missed telling us about, is the weird fat man in a wheelie bin sculpture that is on the right of the image. Which apparently appeared yesterday (Mon 15th June). Would have been good to have seen some snaps of this.

stream_img.jpgstream_img-1.jpg

The second image shows the wider scene, showing another side of the monument, which doesn't appear to be adorned with an 'anti-white racist message'.

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountr...-empty-plinth-of-slave-trader-edward-colston/

Last edited:
I don't live in Bristol, so it's a bit tricky for me to get there right now. I've seen no reports, anywhere, of any 'anti-white racism' scrawled on the monument. All we have here, is an unsubstantiated claim with no evidence. A snap of something, with context added afterwards. As a believer in truth and objectivity in 'journalism', I feel it's vital to provide evidence for any claim, that's all. I have no reason to believe, or disbelieve, gramps or anyone else that I don't know. But I'm sure that if this claim were true, sections of the media would be all over it like a rash; they thrive on such divisive political stuff. We live in an age of 'fake news', where truth is becoming ever more important in journalism, so it's increasingly important to be as objective as possible.

What I am actually more intrigued by, which the OP seems to have missed telling us about, is the weird fat man in a wheelie bin sculpture that is on the right of the image. Which apparently appeared yesterday (Mon 15th June). Would have been good to have seen some snaps of this.

View attachment 283070View attachment 283071

The second image shows the wider scene, showing another side of the monument, which doesn't appear to be adorned with an 'anti-white racist message'.

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountr...-empty-plinth-of-slave-trader-edward-colston/

You see you make an assumption that is incorrect, I'll leave you to work that one out.
There are also four sides to the monument in case you missed that and the wheelie bin was not the subject of my interest, the thread title may help you work that out.

You see you make an assumption that is incorrect, I'll leave you to work that one out.

I haven't.

Why not just explain what the message said?* You can easily asterisk out the 'offensive' bits. As for including such content in a photo; we're not living in the Victorian era. This is a forum about discussing photography. And all aspects of such. I'm sure the moderators would be ok with such content, in the context of objectivity. You could always put a 'NSFW' type label on the thread if you were that concerned.

the wheelie bin was not the subject of my interest

That's a real shame, because that appears to be very interesting; how did it get there, who put it there, and why?

*Which would still be unsubstantiated without evidence.

Last edited:
On Sunday there wasn't any anti-white graffiti that I could see. There is the stencilled name Stephenson, on the North side, which is a suggestion for a statue to replace Colston.
There was some indeterminate writing on the West side.
The other sides were clear.

The plaque had been altered with tippex or similar, so instead of saying "Erected by citizens of Bristol" it says "Rejected ..."

I haven't.
Sorry but you have.
Why not just explain what the message said?* You can easily asterisk out the 'offensive' bits. As for including such content in a photo; we're not living in the Victorian era. This is a forum about discussing photography. And all aspects of such. I'm sure the moderators would be ok with such content, in the context of objectivity. You could always put a 'NSFW' type label on the thread if you were that concerned.
You miss the point again, it's not about Moderation, pre-warning others or what era we are living in, it is my personal standards.

On Sunday there wasn't any anti-white graffiti that I could see. There is the stencilled name Stephenson, on the North side, which is a suggestion for a statue to replace Colston.
There was some indeterminate writing on the West side.
The other sides were clear.

The plaque had been altered with tippex or similar, so instead of saying "Erected by citizens of Bristol" it says "Rejected ..."
I visited Monday morning.

Last edited:
Sorry but you have.

Sorry, but I haven't. You just assume I have.

You miss the point again, it's not about Moderation, pre-warning others or what era we are living in, it is my personal standards.

Right. Ok. Personally, I'd always be prepared to back up any claims with proper evidence, but y'know, those are my own standards. To each their own.

I visited Monday morning.

The wheelie bin appeared Monday morning, apparently. Surely, any 'anti-white racist message' would have been reported as well. We now have someone else who states that on Sunday at least, there was no 'anti-white racist message' daubed on the memorial, as you are claiming there was on Monday (again, this is only one person's word for it, as far as I'm concerned). So I'm actually left wondering if there really was as you claim. Were there actually 'anti-white racist message', or did you simply perceive something as such? That could be an important distinction here. Sorry; but that's how it is. Nothing personal. If you make a claim, you need to be prepared to back it up. This is a very significant moment in our history; the whole BLM movement and associated campaigns for social justice are vital if we are to move forward as a society. We need truth and objectivity, not unsubstantiated claims and hearsay. So this isn't an 'attack' on you personally, please don't see it like that. If there were indeed the kind of messages you describe, then such matters need to be reported and dealt with. If you're not going to be able to back up your claims with evidence, perhaps you should think before making them. This applies to anyone.

There is the stencilled name Stephenson, on the North side, which is a suggestion for a statue to replace Colston.

Do they not think Somerset would be a better replacement, if one is really needed

FFS with amount of s*** in the world at the moment what we really don't need is you 2 squaring up in the playground.

Get over yourselves.

FFS with amount of s*** in the world at the moment what we really don't need is you 2 squaring up in the playground.

Get over yourselves.

I think debates over evidence, truth and objectivity in the context of photojournalism/reportage is vital, if we're going to go any way towards sorting out any of this s*** in the world at the moment. Maybe have a think about that.

Just not worth the hassle!

Shame. I think as photographers, it's our duty to report things as truthfully and objectively as we can, if we really want to see proper change in our society. Photography can, and often has been, used as a power for good; look at images from various wars, Human and environmental events, that have helped inform and influence public opinion, even political change.

Back