Notting Hill Carnival

It's a carnival not a war zone! Be respectful
Indeed. I've never had any trouble. Lots of people take their kids, even on the Monday. The main risks are those in any large crowd (the possibility of a crush and pickpockets). Earplugs are useful (the kind that filter so you can still enjoy the music). Time Out has a useful guide - take note of station closures and check their map for the procession route, sound systems, closed roads, etc.: https://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/notting-hill-carnival-information

It's a carnival not a war zone! Be respectful
The police and ambulance service take it seriously enough. For 2015 there were 218 theft against a person offence reported (lots dont bother to report) 67 violence or public order offences and 41 weapon offences.
It might not be a war zone but it's getting closer every year.

I have been a few times and have never experienced any problems. Plenty of police. I turn up early and usually leave before 4/5 pm.

Erm yeah, OK. There are many, myself included, that might disagree, although I'd downgrade it from 'war' to 'conflict' zone.

I have been a few times now and never had an issue. Perhaps yours and others attitude dictates how you will be recieved

I've only photographed the carnival 4 times, usually on the Monday, though I chose the Sunday this time, it was a lot less crowded. Like any big event, one person can't be everywhere, see and photograph everything. Next year I might investigate finding somewhere close to stay for a few nights to cover more, as my train into London takes an hour in and back. I've never seen any serious wrong doing. The closest was last year when two scantily clad women were sharing a bottle of Jack Daniels on the top of a bus stop, no big deal. The police that helped them down had big grins on their faces. Ear plugs are a must. Even then you feel your body vibrating when photographing directly behind a truck and sound system. I never temp providence and pull my MacBook Pro out on the streets to edit photo's and upload. I chose a pub that had been stripped of most furniture, had to use a servery top and stand there. All quite enjoyable but can be exhausting. I find Kensal Green tube ideal to leave via.

Been four or five times always on the Monday and never a problem until 3 years ago a very skilful pickpocket relieved me of £500, didn’t realise until later in the day, took every precaution I could (or so I thought) My attitude had nothing to do with it.... I just had an experience with a thieving scumbag.

Back