Nottingham Aegon Open Tennis Tournament 2016, 2nd Round

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Went yesterday and enjoyed a great day's tennis.

Took along my D300 and 24-120 f4 and 180 f2.8 as my 80-200 is having a service. I used the same lenses last year [https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/tennis-aegon-open-nottingham-2015.593053/#post-6946847] but took my D800 instead which was a bit limiting in terms of speed. The D300 obviously crops in closer so I've been trying something a bit different for me and get some close up images with the 180. Going again today to see what else I manage.

Sam Querry
by Ben Goddard, on Flickr

Victor Estrella Burgos

Dan Evans

Ricardas Berankis

Kevin Anderson

What do you think?

Despite the slight cliche, #3 is the standout for me. #1 is okay but I miss the eye contact, #2 I find the background too busy (not much you can do, but just a personal view), #3 I love, #4 great expression, would prefer more on the left, #5 I like second best. I find it fascinating that none of them are looking at the ball - it's already gone past their eye-line.

Tennis is, on one level, incredibly straightforward at courtside - you don't need big lenses and you can take decent pictures, in good light, with pretty much anything.

On the other hand, it's incrediblly hard given the speed of the ball and trying to fill the frame with eyes, ball and racket. You end up taking lots and lots of frames to get something decent without having too fussy a backdrop. You very rarely see in the finished shot just what you think you saw in the instant you pressed the shutter. Getting something different is hard and usually bolis down to getting interesting light and a shooting position where you can best use it.

When Wimbledon is on next week check out the early evening light on centre court while you're watching on TV and then check out the pics that, say, the Getty guys are taking.

Thanks for the feedback chaps! Always somewhat hamstrung by seat position and gear you're allowed to take in, which makes getting anything meaningful something of a challenge...

Back