Nuthatch

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
First one is pick of the bunch for me Dave.

Not keen on the split background on the second, I fully understand that is how it goes in woodland shooting, just not keen on it.

Third one is okay, I just prefer the pose on the first.

Must admit the colours look a tad washed out, can you not add some contrast and impact to them a bit?

Thanks Ade - first was my pick as well (that is why I put it first)

I seem to be having a few problems with contrast / colour in my images - the Auto WB caused me issues in the Little Egret shots.

I have added more contrast.

Dave.

Last edited:
I think they look better Dave.

Auto WB is something I have never used, I don`t see the point to be honest.

I suppose it doesn't make any difference as I shoot in raw so can change the WB in post. I just need to stop trusting auto and check more closely :)

It would help if I bought a better laptop to edit on - I don't think my 11inch Lenovo is really suited to it and a bigger faster machine would help (bigger display)

Thanks for the continued input

Dave.

I suppose it doesn't make any difference as I shoot in raw so can change the WB in post. I just need to stop trusting auto and check more closely :)

It would help if I bought a better laptop to edit on - I don't think my 11inch Lenovo is really suited to it and a bigger faster machine would help (bigger display)

Thanks for the continued input

Dave.
I always find editing on a laptop problematic Dave, might be me, but the angle of the screen and how it changes the shots,does my head in.

I do edit on a laptop if on holiday, I have a two year old Toshiba summat that does ok. But I always do them again when I get home on the desktop.

I agree Ade - I normally like to check my photos at work before posting as my work laptop docks into a larger monitor. Not had a chance with my last few posts though. Looks like I need a better setup for editing but no money for now as camera bodies and lenses have made me a poor man ;)

But definitely the next thing I need to purchase - may even see if I can borrow a larger monitor from work and plug my little laptop into it. They have about 20 laying around doing nothing :)

Dave.

Thanks Russ - looks like I need to start saving again :(

I suppose it is rather silly editing photos from over £6k of kit on a £250 11 inch portable laptop. I just need a few of you guys to come round and explain that the the wife for me ;)

Dave.

Thanks Russ - looks like I need to start saving again :(

I suppose it is rather silly editing photos from over £6k of kit on a £250 11 inch portable laptop. I just need a few of you guys to come round and explain that the the wife for me ;)

Dave.
Spot on Dave. Your monitor is as important as your camera kit.

I`m with Russ on his points as well.

A good set Dave and not often you get them out posing in the open,I did feel that most have a bit of a cast to them,especially #1.Had a quick play which may or may not be an improvement.and I will remove if you wish.The sky in this one seemed to be a bit distracting to my eye,so I did knock that back a bit.

16448342879_919108c03c_o_zpswe1kschp.jpg

Sorry to jump in Dave, nice photos by the way and some interesting comments on the PP

Rich @u8myufo I think there is a few of us who need some advice on PP in the bird section, I know I do. I have just bought a new monitor Dell U2412M and I am struggling with colours against my old LG 22" Glossy and some of the pics on here are looking over processed to me.

Anyway, have you considered writing or is there some advice on PP which mainly concentrates on birds in this section??

Thanks Rich - always appreciate input from people who know much more about this than me. Been on a steep learning curve for the last 9 months :)

Can you explain the colour cast? Is it the blue tint you mentioned in one of my previous posts / images?

How do I go about removing it / how did you spot it? ( I am struggling and it could be my puny monitor that isn't helping me :( )

Thanks in advance

Sorry to jump in Dave, nice photos by the way and some interesting comments on the PP

Rich @u8myufo I think there is a few of us who need some advice on PP in the bird section, I know I do. I have just bought a new monitor Dell U2412M and I am struggling with colours against my old LG 22" Glossy and some of the pics on here are looking over processed to me.

Anyway, have you considered writing or is there some advice on PP which mainly concentrates on birds in this section??

:plus1:

I agree :)

A good set Dave and not often you get them out posing in the open,I did feel that most have a bit of a cast to them,especially #1.Had a quick play which may or may not be an improvement.and I will remove if you wish.The sky in this one seemed to be a bit distracting to my eye,so I did knock that back a bit.

16448342879_919108c03c_o_zpswe1kschp.jpg

Go for a lie down Rich unless you were looking for a psychedelic effect :wideyed:

@swansea jack @Dave Semmens Hard to really advise what to do when it comes to editing unless it is something which is obviously wrong.The cast could be due to a number of things Dave, WB, monitor,eyesight or a mix of all of them. I also have a Dell which is a great monitor for the price, I have not even calibrated it with any hardware.It really is best not to over complicate things imo,in photoshop you have Image>Adjustments>Colour Balance.From there you can alter Cyan,Magenta,Yellow,Red,Green,Blue.You can apply any of these to the shadows,mid tones and highlights of the picture.You then have Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation.The default is Master, but click to open up the choice and you can then alter all the colours,this is aimed at how much each colour is saturated so you can adjust this as well as overall lightness of any given colour.It really is a case of taking one picture,preferably one which you know has a slight cast to it and having a play about.Take one option at a time and like I have mentioned in the past,move the slider to it`s extreme both ways,this will give you a far better indication as to how it is effecting the picture.Anything after that is just small increments either way untill it suits your eye.I may well make adjustments to colour balance as an example,I may then look at altering curves or level settings.Once done I may well go back to the colour balance again and make a final tweak here and there.How far you go with something is all down to the individual.The days of people having something pointed out about their picture and then taking the trouble to attempt to fix and re-post their edit, has long gone.This is by far the easiest method of learning.

Thanks Rich - did some searching on YouTube as well and found some good example videos showing problem images and how to sort out.

Will keep plugging away and try to take a little longer over my editing. I have now decided not to post images straightaway but edit them and upload to Flickr as private. Then come back to them a day or so later and have another look at them with fresh eyes and tweak / rework if required. Hopefully that will help as well.

Thanks again for all the help / critique.

Dave.

Back