Nuthatch.

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Trying out my new Tamron 70-300mm VC lens, obviously not as good as my old Nikon 300mm AFS F4 lens, but I can just about handhold it and the VC is a bonus.

Liked the pose of the bird but the harsh light is possibly not helping the photo?? Also, do you think it would look better with a tighter crop?

Nuthatch Junior by Simon Rees, on Flickr

Well done Simon, it's a good image. but a little more processing would improve it plus I think that you can crop it better ........ standard size crops are good but try a little "unconstrained" cropping sometimes

The bg is dominating the image, (and subject), a little too much, IMHO

cropping - too much on the right plus the proportions of right, top and bottom could be more attractive

Last edited:
I actually like the picture just as it is.

I'm not a bird shooter and I can imagine how a crop might make it a more pure bird shot but as a picture rather than a text book bird shot I personally think that the bokeh and framing work.

If I was a bird shooter I think I'd possibly keep two versions of this, a whole image as I like it, and a crop focusing more on the bird... which I think would grace any text book.

Last edited:
The harsh light isn't helping Simon but I do like the inquisitive pose of the bird, I don't think cropping would improve this image personally :)

Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated. The photo is a large crop and as stated the harshlights are not helping it. I have tried another portrait type crop and I think it works a little better, but the harsh light and crop are killing the detail of the bird. I liked it as @gramps mentiond for the inquisitive look.

New crop

20150903-DSC_2233-3 by Simon Rees, on Flickr

Original photo

20150903-DSC_2233-2 by Simon Rees, on Flickr

Last edited:
The crop is pretty good IMHO Simon, D750??

Yes Bill D750, I done a deal for my 24-120mm lens and the Tamron 70-300mm VC lens. I'm going to wait until next year before buying anything longer which will give some time for the Nikon 200-500mm lens to have some user reviews. If poor, I will get the Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm lens for home use. The Tamron 70-300mm is about the lightest lens for me as a walkabout lens.

I have now bought a decent tripod with a mechanical adjustment for column movement and a Sunwayfoto D44 ballhead, ready for me to be setup by the back door for this winters wildlife. I'm on the urgent list for a shoulder and elbow operations so Clare can set me up before she goes to work, which will keep me sane while I recover from ops.

Yes Bill D750, I done a deal for my 24-120mm lens and the Tamron 70-300mm VC lens. I'm going to wait until next year before buying anything longer which will give some time for the Nikon 200-500mm lens to have some user reviews. If poor, I will get the Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm lens for home use. The Tamron 70-300mm is about the lightest lens for me as a walkabout lens.

I have now bought a decent tripod with a mechanical adjustment for column movement and a Sunwayfoto D44 ballhead, ready for me to be setup by the back door for this winters wildlife. I'm on the urgent list for a shoulder and elbow operations so Clare can set me up before she goes to work, which will keep me sane while I recover from ops.

Good luck Simon

Back