Critique NY skyline

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Just after some critique around the PP of this image. There are a few things I would have changed in the way I took it but an extremely busy viewing platform meant I was rushing :(

DSC00128.jpg by mscall, on Flickr

Nice image, but erm...you could straighten it a bit!

I did try and straighten it but the fog/haze in the background over the water to the left made the Empire State look like it's leaning to the right when I did it, so I just gave up!

I might have a go at cloning that bit up a little bit so that I can straighten it without issue. Thanks for the feedback :)

Yeah maybe some gridlines in Photoshop will help you straighten the image out slightly! Love the NY Skyline though!

love these type of pictures - especially at night however with a skyline like this - who cares! great shot. that said i do agree with a little bit of straightening

haha well the masses have spoken :) I will have another go at getting it to look straight, i must admit I did just give up last time so deep down I knew how wonky it was!!!

If I can find the RAW file i might try straightening and reprocessing so that that foggy patch retains some definition between water/sky as that's what is giving me the wonky building look when I actually level off the horizon

Cheers all for the feedback though :)

Could be a case of some warping rather than straightening.

haha well the masses have spoken :) I will have another go at getting it to look straight, i must admit I did just give up last time so deep down I knew how wonky it was!!!

If I can find the RAW file i might try straightening and reprocessing so that that foggy patch retains some definition between water/sky as that's what is giving me the wonky building look when I actually level off the horizon

Cheers all for the feedback though :)
if you wouldnt mind sending it over i you find the RAW file - id like to have a play in editing :)

if you wouldnt mind sending it over i you find the RAW file - id like to have a play in editing :)

I will do as I'd love to see this thing actually look straight.

If as dinners suggests it needs warping then thats not something I've tried yet but will give it a go

I'm pretty sure i've got all the RAW from this trip on another hard drive somewhere (hoping so anyway as there are loads of pics that I can't find in LR that should be there!)

ok cool - ill PM you my email

Didnt realise you were from manchester too! which part?

I did try and straighten it but the fog/haze in the background over the water to the left made the Empire State look like it's leaning to the right when I did it, so I just gave up!

I might have a go at cloning that bit up a little bit so that I can straighten it without issue. Thanks for the feedback :)

You have edit images set to yes, and a full res download option was available... so....

It can still be sorted. Go beyond simple rotation and use the manual lens correction tools in Lightroom. You can then manually adjust vertical, horizontal and rotational elements separately. It left some blank spaces at the edges, but then used content aware fill in PS to fill in the gaps, so in short... all distortion corrected, but nothing cropped out.

WEk4JH3.jpg

Last edited:
You have edit images set to yes, and a full res download option was available... so....

It can still be sorted. Go beyond simple rotation and use the manual lens correction tools in Lightroom. You can then manually adjust vertical, horizontal and rotational elements separately. It left some blank spaces at the edges, but then used content aware fill in PS to fill in the gaps, so in short... all distortion corrected, but nothing cropped out.

WEk4JH3.jpg

As tempting as it is to just steal the one you've done I'll give the method a go myself and see what I come up with ;)

Back