Oahu, Hawaii

Nice, shame the crops are so tight. No. 2 I'd clone the floaters out on the right.

Last edited:
Thanks Twist, I made it Portrait rather than landscape alas...:-(

I really don't mind the orientation, it's the tight crop top and bottom and the addition of the subjects on the right. Subject wise it's a nice capture and a good eye (y)

No worries. Taken with a fisheye, not always to peoples taste I know. But I am happy with the bendy skyscrapers, just a different point of view. I do have narrower ones and straight buildings...:)

The 3 outdoor shots are all potentially good, but have niggles that could have been 'fixed' easily, mostly around the cropping as already noted. It's always good to frame up with a little extra space so that tweaks etc don't compromise the subject.

(y)

May have been potential with number 1 but the light, tight crop, parked cars, lack of compositional thought is counting against it. Need to work a scene harder, it doesn’t matter how beautiful it is to your eyes composition and light are so important, they can turn the most mundane scene into something special but an epic scene in midday light and little compositional thought doesn’t work. The rest aren’t landscapes but reasonable holiday snaps.

Re 1 - the cut off mountain puts me off as does the parked cars. Was there a better place to shoot from. Looks a gorgeous place.
There was as I took a shot of this mountain range last year. Although I did clone out some electric/telephone poles and maybe a car or bits of cars.
If the OP had gone the other side of the car park he would have got a shot like this.
Jurassic mountain by Provence Photography 83, on Flickr

I will remove my shot if the OP so wishes.

Last edited:
This is a totally remarkable Island and one that I didn`t get the chance to explore as much as I would have liked.
If anyone gets the chance to go here then it won`t be forgotten anytime soon.
So, I`m starting to save my pennies again for a trip in 2 1/2 years from now for 3 weeks.

Re 1 - the cut off mountain puts me off as does the parked cars. Was there a better place to shoot from. Looks a gorgeous place.

Thanks Steve for your viewpoint. I thought it was quite a powerful photo, but accept it might have been better without the car park. In hindsight I might have tried to get a better place to take the photo, the sun (dammit) was in the wrong hemisphere...:-(

The 3 outdoor shots are all potentially good, but have niggles that could have been 'fixed' easily, mostly around the cropping as already noted. It's always good to frame up with a little extra space so that tweaks etc don't compromise the subject.

(y)

Thanks Toni for your CC. Yes, perhaps I am a bit "quick" to fire off a few photos, without always seeing the wider viewpoint. I try to isolate subjects for impact, but in these "travelogue" type photos, its not always easy to do that, humanity always gets in the way...:)

May have been potential with number 1 but the light, tight crop, parked cars, lack of compositional thought is counting against it. Need to work a scene harder, it doesn’t matter how beautiful it is to your eyes composition and light are so important, they can turn the most mundane scene into something special but an epic scene in midday light and little compositional thought doesn’t work. The rest aren’t landscapes but reasonable holiday snaps.

Again Scirocco, thanks for your CC. As I said to Toni, its not always easy to work on these "holiday snaps" to get really good images/photos. Lighting is a fact, only being in the right place at the right time will sort that. I do "see" beautiful scenes, and try to make them work, but as you say it takes time and skill to do that well. Time is always my weak point, I do get a little impatient, and inevitably my time and timing is limited by family...

Thanks anyway, I must try harder..:)

There was as I took a shot of this mountain range last year. Although I did clone out some electric/telephone poles and maybe a car or bits of cars.
If the OP had gone the other side of the car park he would have got a shot like this

I will remove my shot if the OP so wishes.

Thanks Graham for your photo of almost the same scene. It was an amazing place, my only disappointment was poverty amongst the locals, they seemed to be living in old cars and tents on the road side, in comparison to the wealth of the Honolulu residents. But as my sister says, thats America....

No need to remove you photo, my personal CC would be that there was too much foreground, and I see you had the car park as well, but without cars..:)

But its a powerful photo of those mountains/hills. As in previous CC, I have said I try to isolate the subject for impact, I could/should have taken those cars out....

Thanks all for CC, and your time in giving your comments. I am learning something new every time here, thanks again.....:)

It was an amazing place, my only disappointment was poverty amongst the locals, they seemed to be living in old cars and tents on the road side, in comparison to the wealth of the Honolulu residents. But as my sister says, thats America....

We got told that it`s not just locals, they shipped in some homeless people from Alaska (No idea how many) as it is very cold there and just left them on O`ahu to live in a much warmer climate, well I guess that`s a big plus for them, I guess the Island Government got some cash incentive for it from the Alaskan Government.

Back