Beginner OCF and PP

Name
Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Had a short play with some ocf and a new (new to me) Tamron 28-75 lens I bought off the forum.

Taken with a speed light shooting into an umbrella and also trying out the curves pp as suggested by Bethy (Thank you) (Sunnyside_up).

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

Happy for any crit.

Thank you

Kev

lovely, and love the processing.

Prefer No.2 as it is more 'focussed' on the subject. No.1 is a little 'wide' and the shadows, even though soft, are a bit off putting.

No.2 ....Nice happy and mischievous face :) A lovely portrait.

Thank you both for the reply, I see what you mean with the shadows.

These look great. Shadows are fine for me. Each to there own I suppose.
Beth will have to start charging for this pp info! You did a good job very very similiar effect. I need to try this brolly thing peeps on hear seem to be using them all the time. Practice time me thinks !

Gaz

These look great. Shadows are fine for me. Each to there own I suppose.
Beth will have to start charging for this pp info! You did a good job very very similiar effect. I need to try this brolly thing peeps on hear seem to be using them all the time. Practice time me thinks !

Gaz
Thanks Gaz.

Looking good to me Kev.

Minor crit time....How far away was the umbrella? You've got quite hard shadows on his face, which suggests it could be closer (if you're not having to shoot around it 'coz it's in the way it's not close enough!).

A reflector camera right might also help softening the shadows too.

I like them, crit is just...well you asked for it and that's all I can think of.

Hi Ian,

Yes the umbrella was very close, I was being lazy and did not get the reflector out. I am going to have another go with the shoot through umbrella.

Love the ones you have been putting on the forum.

Thanks

Kev

Had another play today with a shoot through umbrella, still not sure about the lens, however this time I tried a white wall, and one with an orange plastic cup on a speed light...
DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg
DSC_0040.jpg

No sure if on 1 and 2 the processing is giving a slightly orange skin tone.

Thank you

Kev

Nice work Kev. Both very different in style but effective all the same. The first set feel a little contrasty for my personal taste but that aside you've done a really good job.

Have you got a Flickr account Kev, that you could link images from? The file sizes you are posting makes it difficult to critique the images from a technical aspect...

The last three look pretty good to me and I like the framing. Some PP on the first two could whiten up the backgrounds in minutes (if that's what you wanted?). I like the plastic cup idea, that's worked well.

Have you got a Flickr account Kev, that you could link images from? The file sizes you are posting makes it difficult to critique the images from a technical aspect...

The last three look pretty good to me and I like the framing. Some PP on the first two could whiten up the backgrounds in minutes (if that's what you wanted?). I like the plastic cup idea, that's worked well.
Ian, thanks.

I do, will put them up once the kids are in bed.

Thanks

Ian, Link to the first one on flickr.

DSC_0065 by SEP9001, on Flickr

Thank you

Ian, Link to the first one on flickr.

DSC_0065 by SEP9001, on Flickr

Thank you

Thanks Kev, I've taken a look in a bit more detail. In the first set there's not much light in his eyes, I think you may have had the light a touch too high (the catchlight is only the bottom half of the umbrella).

In the second set it looks like focus isn't critical on his eyes (the top of HIS left ear seems to be the sharpest point. Are you using single AF point or a zone of points?

Ian, yep agree re the first set. The umbrella was close and a high.

Re the focus, not sure if I am not using the lens correctly or if there is an issue with the lens.

Not happy with the sharpness of it compared to my other lenses. I am using single AF point.

Anyway of checking/testing if it is a lens issue or a user error.

Thank you

It looks like it's back focusing. Does your camera have micro AF adjustment option? You can print out test sheets (just google image search) and adjust as needed, there are tutorials on YouTube of how to set it up (on a tripod, at 45 degrees). I have needed to do this on my 24-70 and just use a tape measure now. If you focus on the 20cm line and 19cm or 21cm are sharper that indicates it needs adjusting.

Thanks, will have to look into it. I have a d90 at the moment so will read the manual.

Thanks, will have to look into it. I have a d90 at the moment so will read the manual.
Looking online the D90 does not have the af fine tune option.

Looking online the D90 does not have the af fine tune option.

Yeah, I googled it too and the only thing I saw was a mechanical adjustment to the camera body using two hex screws, which would affect your other lenses (and would be better done by someone who's qualified to do it).

What are your other lens options (that you already have)? Any suitable for this type of shot?

Last edited:
I have the Tamron 17-50 which I will use for now. Thanks for checking.

Thank you both.

Now we're cooking with gas!!! #2 for me, the less dense shadow and position of the nose shadow is fractionally better.
Thank you Simon.

Thank you Les.

Back