Odds and Ends

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Ladies and Gents - I quite often have the odd shot or two which it doesn't seem worth starting a new thread for. If you are the same please feel free to stick them in here as a general 'low content' thread.

If no interest, no problem - just an idea which may be of use :)

I'll go first - here's a wee bee I got today (not 100% on the ID)

Bombus pascuorum
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Just getting started with close up and macro, so nothing yet worthy of it's own thread I don't think!

Have been struggling with light so bought a flashgun and tried it out for an hour or so in the garden over the weekend, pleased with the initial results.

flickr-0110 by Sarah Mnstr, on Flickr
Looks sharp enough Sarah - bit underexposed perhaps? You could easily fix that in post processing if you wanted :)

Hi Dibbly, Am using my Nikon D3200 with a 55-200 lens and a set of 3 Macro rings. a 36mm,20mm and a 12mm. Also have camera mounted on a 4 way focus frame on a tripod. Not sure if its the right way but am enjoying the challenge lol

Looks sharp enough Sarah - bit underexposed perhaps? You could easily fix that in post processing if you wanted :)
I will have a look at it when I'm back on my computer - I probably didn't pay as much attention to the exposure as usual as it immediately seemed so much better with the flash - everything I've taken without the flash has been so dark! :)

Hi Mike

• ƒ/0
  • 0.0 mm
  • 1/3200
  • Flash (off, did not fire)

Took picture by fluke had the camera on the wrong settings but still worked out ok, chased the fly around the garden dodging all the midges we have here at moment

I will have a look at it when I'm back on my computer - I probably didn't pay as much attention to the exposure as usual as it immediately seemed so much better with the flash - everything I've taken without the flash has been so dark! :)
Most macro photographers use a flash as it helps you stop down for depth of field whilst maintaining a decent shutter speed - once you get the hang of it the next challenge is diffusion to give a nice light as naked flashes can be quite harsh. :)

Hi Mike

• ƒ/0
  • 0.0 mm
  • 1/3200
  • Flash (off, did not fire)

Took picture by fluke had the camera on the wrong settings but still worked out ok, chased the fly around the garden dodging all the midges we have here at moment
Well done in that case! Never tried a reversing ring so not sure what these settings actually mean (eg what is f0). Guess the lens is just wide open ? Maybe somebody else will know ...

Here's a couple from me. Shot with Canon 100D + 100mm + Raynox. Lighting was by MT24-ex with multiple diffusers :)

Bee profile by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Bee Head On by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Those are stunning Mike! Which Raynox do you use, if you don't mind my asking? You get loads of depth of field from it, I really struggle (for example the fly pic above was taken with Canon 60D, 100mm macro and Raynox DCR-250).

Those are stunning Mike! Which Raynox do you use, if you don't mind my asking? You get loads of depth of field from it, I really struggle (for example the fly pic above was taken with Canon 60D, 100mm macro and Raynox DCR-250).
Thanks Sarah. The lighting is the key I think - I'm using the 150 Raynox but the main thing is to get enough light in to let you stop down. I aim for f11-f16 and 1/200 normally which means a good flash is needed - preferably with diffusers for s nice soft light.

I had another look at the fly photo and adjusted the exposure. I think it does look so much better - flickr-0110 exposure correction by Sarah Mnstr, on Flickr

I do have a soft box diffuser for my flash, so this will be my next experiment over the bank holiday weekend. I've booked Friday off work too, but no doubt this will ensure torrential rain and not an insect to be seen - sorry everyone!!

Not posted cause its not a bee Les.... lmao :D (Hoverfly ;) ;))

Been wondering where you have been though that may be cause I have been away from the forum for a little while. ;)

I have quite a demanding Job Bryn, sometimes I hardly get chance to use the Camera lol

I had another look at the fly photo and adjusted the exposure. I think it does look so much better - flickr-0110 exposure correction by Sarah Mnstr, on Flickr

I do have a soft box diffuser for my flash, so this will be my next experiment over the bank holiday weekend. I've booked Friday off work too, but no doubt this will ensure torrential rain and not an insect to be seen - sorry everyone!!

I suggest you start a thread there is loads of us willing and waiting to help. I understand it may be daunting but you will be surprise how much knowledge you will gain by doing that.

I will start a new thread with the results - hoping the weather will cooperate enough for me to spend some time in the garden :)

Ladies and Gents - I quite often have the odd shot or two which it doesn't seem worth starting a new thread for. If you are the same please feel free to stick them in here as a general 'low content' thread.

If no interest, no problem - just an idea which may be of use :)

I'll go first - here's a wee bee I got today (not 100% on the ID)

Bombus pascuorum
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Looks just a tad too light - maybe slightly darker and a tad more contrast - but still an excellent shot.

Nice idea Mike. Here's a low content, odds and ends type of thing.

0776 03 P1080187 LR-2
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

That is what the raw file looked like after importing into Lightroom with my normal (very mild) import adjustments.

I only had the chance of just one snatched shot as it popped into view and moved quickly out of sight again. I didn't have time to adjust the flash level (I was using the KX800 manual flash, so no TTL flash metering). The setting was not nearly bright enough. Even in this very dark version it was obvious that the bits that mattered were not in focus. It was obviously one for the bin.

And yet,...

Out of curiosity I played with the image a bit.

0776 02 P1080187_DxO LR
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Although it isn't in focus (where it matters) I do get an impression of what the subject looked like so perhaps identification would be possible, Most interesting to me was that I thought I could make out what might be a digestive tract inside it running all the way from head to rear end, which is a bit unusual. So I thought I would keep it anyway.

Although it isn't in focus (where it matters) Most interesting to me was that I thought I could make out what might be a digestive tract inside it running all the way from head to rear end, which is a bit unusual.

Not so unusual - mine is the same :p

Last edited:
I had another look at the fly photo and adjusted the exposure. I think it does look so much better - flic
kr-0110 exposure correction
by Sarah Mnstr, on Flickr

Sarah be proud I like it keep it up

Sarah be proud I like it keep it up

Thanks Barrie!

Though as predicted as soon a I got myself and camera out in to the garden yesterday it started raining... Never mind, onto plan B - headed off to Risley Moss in the afternoon to find some dragonflies - only to discover that it's closed to the public on Friday..

So a bit of a washout all round :(

Back