Odds and Ends

Nice idea Mike. Here's a low content, odds and ends type of thing.

0776 03 P1080187 LR-2
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

That is what the raw file looked like after importing into Lightroom with my normal (very mild) import adjustments.

I only had the chance of just one snatched shot as it popped into view and moved quickly out of sight again. I didn't have time to adjust the flash level (I was using the KX800 manual flash, so no TTL flash metering). The setting was not nearly bright enough. Even in this very dark version it was obvious that the bits that mattered were not in focus. It was obviously one for the bin.

And yet,...

Out of curiosity I played with the image a bit.

0776 02 P1080187_DxO LR
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Although it isn't in focus (where it matters) I do get an impression of what the subject looked like so perhaps identification would be possible, Most interesting to me was that I thought I could make out what might be a digestive tract inside it running all the way from head to rear end, which is a bit unusual. So I thought I would keep it anyway.
Gah! Lawn shrimp. Not one of my favourite subjects. Really difficult to get a good angle on, shinier than a new penny and some species are very invasive...and it is rumoured they compete with collembola o_0!

Icheumon wasp

One of those odd ones I like but not perfect enough

IMG_5827
by bthomas124, on Flickr

I really like this! Not least because I've had one of these in the garden for a while and not been able to ID it, so glad to know what it is. Also I've never been able to get a shot of mine from anything other than from above, so it's great to see it at a new angle.

Not really a true macro but might be of interest in here. Got this is the far north west of Scotland - the Torridon valley. A wonderful and magical place but not where I would have expected to need my macro lens! So did the best I could with my 16-300 Tamron :)

Golden-ringed Dragonfly
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Lovely capture and he/she fills the frame! Not sure you'd need your macro lens :)

Saw my first 'big' dragonfly this weekend, a Migrant Hawker. Couldn't believe the size (or the noise when it was flying)!

Not really a true macro but might be of interest in here. Got this is the far north west of Scotland - the Torridon valley. A wonderful and magical place but not where I would have expected to need my macro lens! So did the best I could with my 16-300 Tamron :)

Very nice find - and that is a wonderful area. Surprising how many dragons can be seen around there, let along the horsefly's and the pesky midges.

(eg what is f0). Guess the lens is just wide open ?
The f0 means the camera cannot read the aperture information form the lens, in this case because extension tubes were used.

I quite often have the odd shot or two which it doesn't seem worth starting a new thread for. If you are the same please feel free to stick them in here as a general 'low content' thread.

Low content???!!*^% I think you've gone way off topic with the shots you've been posting. See first image in previous post. I rest my case.

(Terrific shot Mike. :))

Feels like it's soon all going to come to an end for another year up here (Edinburgh) so am making hay while the sun shines!

I think those are really good Mike. Great detail, lots in focus and nicely controlled illumination, with a very dramatic pose in the first one, and lovely colours in the third. Very appealing.

Here is a photo of some bark that I shot yesterday. I should have gone for a smaller arpeture really but nevertheless I was quite pleased with the photo.

Bark

James

Just testing an Olympus MJU 760 digital Compact camera that I WON years ago in a Photo Comp and was presented with it by David Bailey, and gave it to my Daughter --- now like son she has 'lost interest' in 'Real photography ' -- all they do is take photos on their 'Gadgets' and post onto 'Snapchat', Facebook', 'Instagram ' so I have 'taken over' their gear . I tried today with some 'macro shots' hand held, the 'anti=shake' thingy ON and available light ----

White Orchid in our Kitchen by Window Light with + Exposure Compensation on

Orchid by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Flower in our garden with some - Exposure Compensation on

Purple Flower by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Brentwood Council Recycle Bag with raindrops .
Raindrops by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Back