Odds and Ends

As a Macro noob- what do you guys get up to in Winter?

Computer games. Catching up on processing a huge backlog of images. Read some - not photography - books. Experiment with diffusers etc. Find little things out of doors even though most of the insects etc have disappeared - little animals (I think perhaps springtails are around in the winter for example. I think I recall seeing photos of springtails in icy conditions), and plants too - there can be some interesting colours and textures to work with. Moss and lichen too perhaps. Water droplets on grass etc. Ice. Use the camera to look closer than usual at various things and pictures can appear out of nowhere.

Computer games. Catching up on processing a huge backlog of images. Read some - not photography - books. Experiment with diffusers etc. Find little things out of doors even though most of the insects etc have disappeared - little animals (I think perhaps springtails are around in the winter for example. I think I recall seeing photos of springtails in icy conditions), and plants too - there can be some interesting colours and textures to work with. Moss and lichen too perhaps. Water droplets on grass etc. Ice. Use the camera to look closer than usual at various things and pictures can appear out of nowhere.

That has reminded me of some interesting moss Sporophytes on some old brick work around here - so that is my Winter hobby dealt with:)

eg

DP3M0577_01 by John Pond, on Flickr

Last edited:
As a Macro noob- what do you guys get up to in Winter?
Springtails
IMG_0610springtail by davholla2002, on Flickr

Woodlice, spiders and a few caterpillars.
Here are the rest here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/14586608@N08/albums/72157663768249681

Hopefully another year of practice on the MPE I can get so better photos of globular springtails. There is a very rare one which has been found in common near me so I might look for that.
Also get a garden griddle to look in leaf litter.
(Ideally collect it in autumn for use in the winter).

Back