Odour Eaters for a bathroom..?

Edit My Images
Yes
My sister lives in a rented house with a smelly bathroom. Landlord doesn't seem interested, so I was wondering about sending her some of those odour-eating sticks people have in bathrooms
I've never bought any, she hates artificial smells (mountain fresh etc) so can anyone suggest any that either don't give off a whiff as foul as the one you are trying to hide or have a gentle natural kind of smell?
Many thanks for your wisdom on such a subject..!

I think you are referring to 'reed diffusers' which use wooden sticks to diffuse scent into the air, they won’t 'eat' an odour only introduce another odour into a room.

The only real solution would be to eliminate the source of the smell but I seem to remember 'neutrodol' have a product that might work.

Neutradol or similar work quite well as does a saucer of bicarb. If it's an "organic" smell rather than musty, there could be a problem with the pipework so the landlord should deal with it.

Activated charcoal is an "old school" and non chemical odour absorber.

You can get sachets and (I think) bulk granules.

Some years ago I used some sachets in a closed but ventilated box to remove the smell from fire smoke affected items.

Last edited:
I think you are referring to 'reed diffusers' which use wooden sticks to diffuse scent into the air, they won’t 'eat' an odour only introduce another odour into a room.

The only real solution would be to eliminate the source of the smell but I seem to remember 'neutrodol' have a product that might work.

Those are indeed the things. I'll have a look to see if I can find something not too offensive along with some Neutradol.

Neutradol or similar work quite well as does a saucer of bicarb. If it's an "organic" smell rather than musty, there could be a problem with the pipework so the landlord should deal with it.

I've never been to the place, so no idea what it smells like, other than her telling me 'it smells'
I'll send up some bicarb too. Landlord seems to be one of those who likes to collect the rent but is strangely hard to contact whenever there is a problem.

Activated charcoal is an "old school" and non chemical odour absorber.

You can get sachets and (I think) bulk granules.

Some years ago I used some sachets in a closed but ventilated box to remove the smell from fire smoke affected items.
Another thing to send up.

Thank you all for your help, very much appreciated, and for once, given that I've not visited, I am not to blame for aforementioned whiffs.

Those are indeed the things. I'll have a look to see if I can find something not too offensive along with some Neutradol.

I've never been to the place, so no idea what it smells like, other than her telling me 'it smells'
I'll send up some bicarb too. Landlord seems to be one of those who likes to collect the rent but is strangely hard to contact whenever there is a problem.

Another thing to send up.

Thank you all for your help, very much appreciated, and for once, given that I've not visited, I am not to blame for aforementioned whiffs.

Any mitigation you might send your sister will only be 'a sticking plaster' on whatever the root cause is........ stating the obvious ;)

Is the bathroom for her use only, a shared bathroom......more than one bathroom serving a few occupants???

If the smell is from damp mould or a pipework "problem" then perhaps she should be talking to the council's environmental health people. Maybe the landlord needs an 'officialdom' nudge to sort it out?

Any mitigation you might send your sister will only be 'a sticking plaster' on whatever the root cause is........ stating the obvious ;)

Is the bathroom for her use only, a shared bathroom......more than one bathroom serving a few occupants???

If the smell is from damp mould or a pipework "problem" then perhaps she should be talking to the council's environmental health people. Maybe the landlord needs an 'officialdom' nudge to sort it out?
It's her own bathroom, well, her's with her husband, and they are looking for another place to live so a sticking plaster is fine.
I would assume it's damp rather than a leak as they've been there for a couple of years. I'll mention the council to her - thanks for your reply too !

Back