Off camera flash (with cord) on 5D3 problem - now sorted!

Edit My Images
No
I am a novice with flash and have a possibly stupid question. I have purchased a cord to use my 430EX II flash with my Canon 5D3, however I can't get it to work. I have 'enabled' the flash in the menu on the camera.It is not a Canon cord, but cost me around £50 and it does say it works with Canon and ex II systems.

I notice on the back of the flash that it is saying TTL as opposed to ETTL.(I know this is through the lens - I haven't tried it manually yet)

Can anyone point me to anything stupid I might be doing, or shall I take it back to the shop? I probably bought it a month ago, but this is the first time I've got round to using it.

Any ideas welcome

The flash should be saying E-TTL so it looks like the chord is not compatible.

Is it longer than the Canon one?

Thanks for reply Richard. I'm not sure how the length compares. It's curly so the full length is perhaps not all that useful, but I think the Canon one is the same.

I hadn't realised until I handed the money across that it wasn't the Canon one I was buying.I almost changed my mind, but thought I might be being picky. I'm hoping I can find the receipt, but it is my local camera shop so hopefully they will be helpful. I just wasn't sure if I was missing something obvious.

It's really not like me to buy without researching first :-/

The acid test is to put the flash on the camera and take a few shots with the flash firing, then remove the flash and connect the flash to the camera with the same settings and it should work too.

If not the cable est kaput

Yes there was no problem at all with the flash on it's own Jim. It was difficult to mount the cord on the camera and I did wonder if that was the weak link, but I tried several times and couldn't get it to fire once.

I'll take camera plus flash to the shop and see what they say. I really wish I'd been more assertive and told them I only wanted a Canon product. I wasn't in a hurry for it and I think the Canon one is a similar price.

I ask as I was wondering if it was longer or anything for a reason.

With it being a standard coiled one I have a sneaky suspicion you have the same one as I do - you certainly get similar symptoms. Mine is a jessops one marked as TTL but I expect a lot of similar ones are out there. It has all the right contacts but simply doesn't work properly.

Definitely try and get a refund - I think the Canon one is only about £50.

Thanks, yes I will.

A longer one would be nice, but no, I just went in and asked if they had the lead to connect the flash to the camera and told him which camera and flash. He didn't even mention it wasn't a Canon one. I didn't want to be a difficult customer, but was a bit shocked at the price for a non Canon one.

Cords are hardly ever used now that radio TTL flash is so affordable. Suggest return it and either get a couple of Yongnuo 622c transceivers, or better, one 622c and a 622Tx transmitter.

Edit: you may be pleasantly surprised at the prices, eg Amazon.

Last edited:
Thanks Richard. I will check them out. I thought I'd start simple... maybe not such a great idea.

Presumably the transmitter sits on top of the camera and the transceiver goes under the flash? The 430 ex II can't be fired by a radio trigger, only infra red... I think.... it all seems a bit of a jungle when you know as little as me about it!

I also have the radio triggers - the exact ones that Richard suggested in fact.

The yn-622tc sits atop the camera and then you fasten the yn-622c to the flashgun. Set them to the same channel & group and hey presto, you have E-TTL wireless.

Seems a bit overkill when I'm mounting a little 270exII or 90ex to a macro bracket though...

Right I shall look into those Richard, thank you. And thank you also for your help Richard and Jim.

The good news is, that my local camera shop have given me a refund. I took my camera and flash in and they could see the problem. I managed to find the receipt and I'd bought it at the end of May, so I'm grateful they did the honourable thing.

Next time I'll test my purchase straight away!

Back