Off-camera lighting for Wedding Evening

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Just after some varied thoughts/advice over off camera lighting. Using bounced TTL on camera, and 1/128th off camera - might have gone 1/256th as the AD600 can do - just my on camera flash wouldn't let me select that...

Raymond inspired me to finally give this a go, I'm shooting second here and there's a couple of videographers milling around on the dance floor too which can be limiting for movement and wider FL.

Processing is also rushed just so it's not quite so bland as a typical raw file, I will spend some time working on presets in time for when i need to deliver my own weddings.

Haven't chosen images for variety of poses, just how the light works with subjects and environment.

I wonder that it's best to cover the light with the subject as much as possible, and avoid 100% direct off-camera light, like in #6 - although the visible expression was better than that in #5

One thing I also thought about was that I wasn't balancing it as well I wanted with the already nice ambient... and maybe in hindsight I didn't need/want to use the OFC at all.

Off-camera Flash Test by dancook1982, on Flickr

Last edited:
no 4+5+6 look like a light bulb coming out of the brides head !!
just try and think about composition before you press the shutter
its not easy when your one of the official togs
just take practice
your macro dog shot was really good

I think.. you've done really well here. You know it's not my kind of environment at all but I'd be jolly pleased with any of them.

The only thing I'm not keen on is the red on the skin which creeps in from the ambient occasionally. You might want to look at reducing that a little in post.

Back