Official ID thread

Hi, i would like help in finding out what this beauty is, wingspan was about 5-6 inches, body was long, maybe 4 inches with a split tail.
Dont forget, im in South of France..
Thanks
EDIT....It`s a "Antlion"
I've been looking and looking trying to ID that thing! It's an amazing wee beastie. Great find! You should go looking for some of their larvae in that case ;) Only found out recently we have some in the UK nowadays but only in the South and they are quite rare.

I've been looking and looking trying to ID that thing! It's an amazing wee beastie. Great find! You should go looking for some of their larvae in that case ;) Only found out recently we have some in the UK nowadays but only in the South and they are quite rare.

There are Antlions in the UK, wow I didn't know that. Antlion is infact the name given to the larvae. Now you know.

Any idea s on this wee chap would be appreciated,it never moved from its safe haven, felt it was lying in wait.
red.jpg

Difficult - possible Soldier Beetle ?

Not sure of this Dragonfly
SW France - edge of oak woodland

Some kind of Darter - I don't think that it is a Ruddy - legs are not black - Maybe a Yellow winged - but I did not clearly see the wings and it does not have all the characteristics of a Yellow winged

Female Common Darter, (Sympetrum striolatum)?

Any ideas

YWD_1.jpg

Last edited:
Could do with an ID on this please......had a bit of a Google but can't find owt exact, but I could be looking in the wrong place :rolleyes:

Some sort of mosquito?

Edit- If it helps, it was about 6mm long, it was sat on a towel in our campervan, parked next to the River Avon, Warwickshire :D

Cheers

ID unkown
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Could do with an ID on this please......had a bit of a Google but can't find owt exact, but I could be looking in the wrong place :rolleyes:

Some sort of mosquito?

Edit- If it helps, it was sat on a towel in our campervan, parked next to the River Avon, Warwickshire :D

Cheers

ID unkown
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Looks like a dagger fly Empididae.

Looks like a dagger fly Empididae.

Cheers Bryn, that's certainly what it looks like after having another google with your ID (y) ..........not a mosquito then :oops: :$ :D

I think that this could be Angle Shades. Could anyone confirm, please? It was on my yard path in full sun so I moved it in to the weeds. It was still alive.

View attachment 14983

I think that this could be Angle Shades. Could anyone confirm, please? It was on my yard path in full sun so I moved it in to the weeds. It was still alive.

View attachment 14983

Definitely not Angle Shades. It looks either very fresh and still pumping it's wings up, or has had problems hatching and it's wings are damaged.

First thought was that it's an Old Lady?

Not sure on this one, its not a small spider by a long shot compared to the average Garden spider. I will try and get a size comparison with a fly at some point if it makes id easier. even though its in the hedge at the end of my garden could it be a giant house spider?

_DSC4472 by Daz_James_, on Flickr
_DSC4455 by Daz_James_, on Flickr
_DSC4454 by Daz_James_, on Flickr

Last edited:
Not sure on this one, its not a small spider by a long shot compared to the average Garden spider. I will try and get a size comparison with a fly at some point if it makes id easier. even though its in the hedge at the end of my garden could it be a giant house spider?

I have a similar looking spider in my garden at the moment. He resides within a funnel in the web which I haven't been able to tempt him/her out of yet for a decent shot, but I'm thinking it's a labyrinth spider.

Definitely not Angle Shades. It looks either very fresh and still pumping it's wings up, or has had problems hatching and it's wings are damaged.

First thought was that it's an Old Lady?

Thanks for that. You could be right. I don't think it was pumping its wings up as it was on the path. I suppose it could have fallen out of the ivy that's near the path. Thanks again.

First one is a female Broad-bodied Chaser, and the second is a Reed Beetle, Plateumaris sericea I think.

Hi guys, here's one I cant find in the books I have, there are similar ones shown but with enough differences for me to rule them out. Can anyone here help please.
Its around 10mm in length.
Probably going to be a common species and show my lack of knowledge up :oops: :$

TJS_2259 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

TJS_2264 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Back