Official ID thread

(Nationally scarce) I think it could be a Drilus flavescens larvae, pretty rare so I have just read and it is the UK's only Drilus species. They are snail hunting beetles, worth a google to read about.

Last edited by a moderator:
(Nationally scarce) I think it could be a Drilus flavescens larvae, pretty rare so I have just read and it is the UK's only Drilus species. They are snail hunting beetles, worth a google to read about.

Woohoo! :woot:

That looks like the one, thank you Alby. Very interesting.

I put it back in the garden last night and I have no idea how it arrived in my (first floor flat) bathroom basin! I will have a look to see if I find any of the beetles around.

I have lots of stripey snails too which I don't think are common.

Last edited:
Anyone tell me what this is. It was murder to shoot due to the wind.
Edit as confirmed by Tim it is Lacewing Larva.

Unkown-Larvae-2 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
Anyone tell me what this is. It was murder to shoot due to the wind.

That's a lacewing larva Alf. I was disappointed not to find any of these this year. In America they are known as trash bugs as they pile rubbish on their backs as camouflage.

Check out the ones I found last year:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timmygspics/9517141193/in/set-72157636666555045
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timmygspics/9444937473/in/set-72157636666555045

Ugly things but quite interesting I think. Related to the ant-lion..

What is this please? About 2 1/2 inches long and rears up in a threatening way!
OMG! Just had a flash back to when me and my brother found one of these on the patio in the back garden. It reared up in exactly the same way. Scared the s**t out of us (we were only little).

Hi Guys, i am new to the forum and have also just discovered the amazing world of Macro photography. I was photographing a different spider when i spotted this red and white ball, very tiny, in my grass cuttings bin i thought it was a baby spider until i moved into focus and was amazed to be watching it helping and pulling babies out of the sack. I considered myself very lucky to be watching it.
Can anyone tell me what type of spider it is.

The Jam scone spider. by T0P cat, on Flickr

Hi Guys, i am new to the forum and have also just discovered the amazing world of Macro photography. I was photographing a different spider when i spotted this red and white ball, very tiny, in my grass cuttings bin i thought it was a baby spider until i moved into focus and was amazed to be watching it helping and pulling babies out of the sack. I considered myself very lucky to be watching it.

Welcome, it is a comb footed spider, had some of those in my garden this year.

Thomas that is a great shot.

Edit
I am informed this is a hover fly larvae but the eyes and mouth are at the other end.

I found this on a birch tree and at first thought it was a Ladybird lava.

Unknown by alf.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
Anyone help with ID for this fly please.
Seen supping nectar from my Jacobs Coat about 10mm long.
7189-1408738948-360779f7530dce20ae11df7b4fbec16e.jpg

7191-1408739030-29d12faac90994d1ee6b731844ec2b16.jpg

7190-1408738989-b44c42af422c624a401947bb97112262.jpg

Good morning kind gentlemen and ladies! Anyone able to ID this bee/wasp/fly for me please. Not British (unless it hitched a lift here with one of us tourists), I'm in Crete at the moment. Not a great photo but hopefully enough for an ID.

View attachment 19587

Edit... Seems to be a Band Eyed Bee Mimic Hoverfly whose Latin name is Eristalis taeniops.

Last edited:
Anyone know what this moth is, please? It's alive but looks to have been in a fight.

S'ok. No need for an id now. It's a old, worn noctuid of some sort.

View attachment 19725

Last edited:

Also known as the Candy Stripe spider, Enoplognatha ovata

Excellent Dave, thank you very much. Brown Argus is a new one for me, so very pleased with that, need to try and find time to study the differences now :)

You're welcome Michael.
The photo of the Brown Argus upperside is a male, due to the size & shape of the abdomen - it tapers, and extends beyond the edge of the hindwing, whereas females have a shorter & fatter abdomen. Being a male, it can't be a female Common Blue!
The underwing photos show very well the diagnostic features separating the 2 species - you can see on the Brown Argus that 2 spots near the leading edge of the hindwing form a colon shape, and the same 2 spots on the Common Blue are more widely separated. On the forewing, the Common Blue has an extra spot nearer the body (just visible in your pic), that Brown Argus lacks.

Your caterpillar is Sycamore moth, and your dragonfly is Migrant Hawker.

Dave

Back