Official ID thread

A naked sycamore moth caterpillar?

I opened the front door on Wednesday last week and this caterpillar was curled up under the door. I think it's a sycamore moth caterpillar after it's shed its hair, perhaps preparing to pupate. Could anyone confirm please? It was 4-5cm in length.

View attachment 21267

Apologies for the crapiness of the photo, I was late to do the school run (as usual!).

Nick

Last edited:
I found this little chap in my living room on the wall. He was by far the smallest creature i have photographed so far. I needed all 68mm of extension tubes and a massive crop to show him. I am guessing he is some kind of beetle ( please excuse my ignorance on his ID ).

So whats his name.

Untitled by T0P cat, on Flickr

I found this little chap in my living room on the wall. He was by far the smallest creature i have photographed so far. I needed all 68mm of extension tubes and a massive crop to show him. I am guessing he is some kind of beetle ( please excuse my ignorance on his ID ).

So whats his name.

Untitled by T0P cat, on Flickr
Varied Carpet Beetle Anthrenus verbasci

It's a mite. Can't tell you more than that though. I've seen this type a few times, but rarely this detailed. Nice :)

Any ideas - Grasshopper?
S Africa

GH_1.jpg

GH_3.jpg

GH_4.jpg

A leaf hopper but what species. Sorry the picture is not better but my flash tried to vapourise it I think.

Leaf-hopper by alf.branch, on Flickr

Anybody any ideas on this not a great shot but its the only one I got before it scarpered.

Rove beetle Stenus Sp by alf.branch, on Flickr

EDIT
I got an ID on Flickr as a Rove beetle Stenus Sp

Last edited:
No, just no one knows what the beetle is. Patience my friend!

Your fly looks like a female mayfly which I suppose is appropriate for the current time of year....

Thank you mate... I will do some research on sexing these ;) still can't find anything on that 4 spot brown beetle

Last edited:
Sorry Jon I cannot help much
Does anyone know what is happeniing with this spider

Edit
It is an Ichneumon Wasp larvae probably Polysphincta tuberosa

Spider with possible parasite by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back