Official ID thread

Anyone tell me what plant this is? It's about an 1" long

It was taken at Harlow Carr Gardens, Harrogate.

IMG_7737.jpg by David Sunderland, on Flickr

Any help ID'ing this fella would be greatly appreciated.

Found him sat on the garden fence this morning, seemingly scoffing a passing fly that wasn't quick enough!

Unknown Low Res-2482
by Paiste Phil on Talk Photography

Many thanks in advance for your help.

HI Guys Spider ID please.
I've got dozens if not hundreds of these in my back garden, I've been meaning to grab a shot all year and finally remembered.

Its not brilliant, as I just used my little canon 520.

Top side

Sp2.jpg

Underside

Sp1.jpg

lol it is what they're called or Araneus Diadematus
Thanks Darren (y)

It must have been a good year for them, I've never seen that many around as I have this year.
I have dozens of small webs all clinging to the plants and climbers, the garage wall is (almost) West facing, and dozens of them
can be seen catching the last of the suns warmth in the afternoon too.

They look like puffballs to me but I am not finding a close match in my books but these vary so much depending on age
They could be common earth balls.

They look like puffballs to me but I am not finding a close match in my books but these vary so much depending on age
They could be common earth balls.
Many thanks Alf. My wife had said puffballs as well but I was wondering if there was a more definitive name. I'll do some googling of common earth balls.

Help with these please.

This one is not sharp but looked weird.

Taken in Monkwood in summer.

Last edited:
Help with these please.

Not sure on the exact species for the first, but looks to be some kind of Robber Fly to me (Asilidae).

The second is a Scorpion Fly (Panorpa sp.) and this one's a male. Fantastic things :)

Nice captures!

Not sure on the exact species for the first, but looks to be some kind of Robber Fly to me (Asilidae).

The second is a Scorpion Fly (Panorpa sp.) and this one's a male. Fantastic things :)

Nice captures!
Thanks, I know the second isn't sharp but it just looked so strange.

Hi all I used to come on here a few years ago but can't remember password or my user name lol, but anyway can anyone tell me what these are,

atubesLarge.jpg

I have only ever seen them once before serveral years ago, they kind of remind me of triffids!
TIA AL

Hi Yeah they are a lichen, I think the fairy cups are a fungi, well thats what i get when i googled it

It is a species of Cladonia (a lichen). It is not possible to identify it to species level from the photograph - precise colour is important as are other features not visible in the picture.

Ah ok thanks, and yeah i did boost the colour in the second pic a bit, the first pic is nearly spot on though.
Would another photo of the other features help, and could you tell me what they are ?

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what this caterpillar please ? it was on Lundy Island taken last weekend, my wife spotted it as we were racing back to the boat so it was a quick snapshot.

Lundy Island Catapilar by Adam Sibbald, on Flickr
That would be the garden tiger moth which is protected in the UK. (Arctia caja) also known as the "Woolly bear".

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realise there were so many TBH.

That's what I would have thought too, but its the only one I know ( as above).
They seemed to be very abundant when I was a kid, and IIRC were very fond of feeding off hawthorn leaves.
Yes they were Chris but unfortunately they have declined in numbers, I believe they are down about 90% since we were in shorts :(

Yes they were Chris but unfortunately they have declined in numbers, I believe they are down about 90% since we were in shorts :(
Bloody hell Alby!
:(

check out distribution section.
The garden tiger moth loves damp places, which is why it is particularly common in river valleys as well as gardens and parks.
Yep that sounds about right, there were was a hedgerow of hawthorns growing along side a small brook, and they seemed to be covered in them,
but that was a few years ago.

Its numbers in the UK have declined by 89% over the past 30 years.
That's pretty dramatic and real shame :(

Back